IGNORED

Need help with a home computer idea

FAHooGolfs
Note: This thread is 6331 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Right now, I feel like I'm stuck in the dark with a desktop computer (866 mhz, 20 gb hard drive, 512 mb ram, 17" monitor).

I'm really thinking that I'd love to get a laptop but the problem is that my wife and I use the computer equally and often have to "share" when we use the computer, etc. Getting a laptop is supposed to be a fix for that problem. Enter, my idea...

Here's what I'd like to do:

- I'd like to have 2 laptops, one for me, one for the wife...
- I'd like to have a "server" where we could both wirelessly store files and access files for use on our respective laptops.
- Both laptops would have to have sufficient memory to store files on the system for access while away from the house and "server."
- Obviously both laptops would be able to wirelessly access the internet in the house.
- Ideally, I'd like for both computers to be able to wirelessly access the printer, but that's not a must-have.

Can I do this? What would I need? What would you recommend?

Thanks!
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

It is defiantely doable - but here is the biggest and most important question...
How much $$$ are you willing to spend? What is your budget?

Are you thinking PC's or Macs?

Dual Point 10.5 Stiff Driver
Dual Point 3 Wood
NPS-1 Irons
Dual Slot 52, 56, 60 Wedges
Newport 2

As jrbecthold states, this is definitely doable...and recommendations are all about what your budget is.

Let me ask, however, what are you envisioning for the 'role' of the "server"? If it's just to have a bunch of memory (and by this I'll assume that you mean hard drive storage space), then there are less expensive options that also will mean less set-up hassle, maintainence, etc. But if you envision the "server" to do other roles (e.g. host a webpage, cache webcontent, act as a video/media server for the laptops/TV's/stereo's, etc.) then you will want a capable machine with the right sw loads to do that.

Currently Playing:
Driver: Custom Bang-O-Matic 460 9*, GD YS6+ Stiff
3Wood: Firesole
Hybrid: Rescue 17*
3 - PW: MX-23Wedges: Vokey: SM60.08 (OC), SM56.10 (OC), 252.08 (TC)Putter: Cameron Circa'62 No.2Ball: HXTourHome Course: MacGregor Downs CC, Cary, NC

Good idea on the laptops. I'm a bit biased since I'm a grad student, but I love mine more than anything. I recently switched to Mac, and aside from getting used to a few things, I like it better than a PC. Contrary to popular belief, it is not hard to learn a new operating system. It's like a more sensible version of Windows. If my dad can learn it, anyone can. And yes, all the files you need are compatible (unless you're a heavy videogamer, in which case, don't get a Mac or a laptop). The Mac version of Microsoft Office runs fine on my laptop. So does Google Earth, so does Windows Media Player, so does...etc.

My suggestions:

1. Get 2 MacBooks (see: http://www.apple.com/macbook/macbook.html ). It also depends on what you need them to do - for heavier media like making DVD home movies or mixing music, get a Macbook Pro (see: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/ ).

Get the .Mac program. It allows for whatever you want off of your hardrive to be automatically stored online. It's specifically designed to do the kind of thing you want. Basically, it's a hard drive online. (see: http://www.apple.com/dotmac/ )

Only downside? The cost is a bit higher for a Mac. (But worth it :))

2. You could get two PC's and get a wireless server at home. Once this is done, you could store things in gmail and she could view them from her computer (i.e. picture files, word files, etc). Gmail is pretty amazing (see: www.gmail.com ).

Downside? Which laptop? Sony? Dell? Toshiba? There are lots to choose from, make sure you get the one you need.

Of course, be warned there is a lot of Mac vs. PC warring going on. People will no doubt give me crap about this very post! But, I've made the switch to Apple and I love them. A lot easier to run. Better aesthetics. Tech support is a lot better since it's all one company.
"Hit 'em hard - they'll land somewhere." - Stewart Maiden

In the Bag:

Driver: R480, 10.5*, Graphite5 Wood: R540 XD, 17.5*, GraphiteIrons: Big Bertha 4-10 + GW, SSWedge: 56*, Chrome, SSPutter: White HotBall: HX Hot

Hi

i don't think that you can beat Dell technology for reliability and value!

Apple stuff is darn expensive id say and not much better than Dell

why have nearly all offices on the planet been equipped with Dell computers-because they're the best- they never go wrong...if only the same could be said of my golf swing.

bb69

I agree with Turlock (Must be a Utah thing )
I have to use a PC for work, but my home systems are all Macs. The kid's iMacs and my Desktop G5 are all hardwired and my wife's Macbook Pro and my IBM Thinkpad are connected wirelessly. If we need to share files, I simply use a flash drive, iPod or just email it. The kids computers are not hooked up permanently to the net (They are only 7 and 8 and I just don't want them exposed to all the stuff you see) and if i need to send them something, i.e. pics etc. I use a flash drive or an iPod.

Dual Point 10.5 Stiff Driver
Dual Point 3 Wood
NPS-1 Irons
Dual Slot 52, 56, 60 Wedges
Newport 2

Why not get a SnapServer? Get one that's LAN capable (as opposed to USB, or firewire) that way you can just plug it into your wireless router. As for sharing the printer, if it's got a network card, just plug it into the wireless router as well. Feel free to PM me for detailed instructions. Oh, I'm a PC guy, and not that savvy on the MAC side.

Driver: Titleist 905S/9.5/Fujikura Speeder Stiff
3W: Titleist 906FT
Irons: Ping i10/Red dot
Wedges: Cleveland CG12/54/60
Putter: Odyssey XG RossieBall: TaylorMade TP Red

Why not get a SnapServer?

That is why I was asking the orig poster on what he wanted the "server" to do; if it's merely for storage, then a SnapServer (or equivs) is an excellent idea.

But if he's also looking for it to do other server functions beyond storage, then they'll be some other recommendations to be offered.

Currently Playing:
Driver: Custom Bang-O-Matic 460 9*, GD YS6+ Stiff
3Wood: Firesole
Hybrid: Rescue 17*
3 - PW: MX-23Wedges: Vokey: SM60.08 (OC), SM56.10 (OC), 252.08 (TC)Putter: Cameron Circa'62 No.2Ball: HXTourHome Course: MacGregor Downs CC, Cary, NC

• Administrator
i don't think that you can beat Dell technology for reliability and value!

Except that it is better. The software's better, the hardware is often better, and - surprise - it's often LESS EXPENSIVE than similarly configured Dells.

why have nearly all offices on the planet been equipped with Dell computers-because they're the best- they never go wrong...if only the same could be said of my golf swing.

Because Dell will sell you a cheap piece of crap you'll replace in a year or two. You don't need much horsepower to run Word, Outlook Express, and Solitaire all day.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Amen to what Erik says. Get a couple Macs and an Aiport so they're both wirelessly connected to your internet connection. They don't have to be both laptops... one can be a Mac Mini that just hooks up to a monitor you already have. Mac is just too stable, too simple to configure in any way you want.

Unless you're a serious gamer, it's a no brainer.

Jack Waddell
The Sand Trap .com

In My Bag (for now):TaylorMade Burner 9.5 REAX 50 stiffBobby Jones 3W, Fuji TP 26.3 stiffAdams Idea Pro 2, 3, 4 Iron hybrids, Aldila VS Proto stiffAdams Idea Pro Forged 5-PW, TT Black Gold stiffTitleist Vokey 252.08 Tour ChromeTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 58.08...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 6331 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!