IGNORED

So what am I doing wrong?/right?

Maverick
Note: This thread is 6304 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, I always wanted to do this and finally did it. I played at a course in Palm Desert (Palm Springs) couple days ago "Shadow Ridge". Here is me on a par 4 hitting my 2nd shot. I went with an 8 iron, had about 150 left. Give it to me: (I apologize if the resolution is crap..I took it on my digital camera..it looks really good on my computer but seems to lose alot after I uploaded it)

Well, I always wanted to do this and finally did it. I played at a course in Palm Desert (Palm Springs) couple days ago "Shadow Ridge". Here is me on a par 4 hitting my 2nd shot. I went with an 8 iron, had about 150 left. Give it to me: (I apologize if the resolution is crap..I took it on my digital camera..it looks really good on my computer but seems to lose alot after I uploaded it)

Maverick,

What are your typical misses? I will say that your balance and tempo are excellent, you obviously liked the result of that shot, and it sounded like a very solid impact. The big thing I see (and something I struggle with as well) is the position of the club at the top of the swing, you are close to being shut, and very across the line. Try to keep the club pointed right down the target line, or even a little left of it at the top. One great way my instructor got me to capture that sensation was feeling like my right palm was pointed at the target at the top of my swing.

I was really looking at my back swing and for some reason my hands get tweaked at the top and the grip points right of the target. I should just come down, but for some reason I don't..even my golf bud, who's a 5 handicap, says I look great and I should just come back down..

Also because of this maybe..? it seems I do alot of "correcting"..I initially come down too steep but seem to shallow it out right before impact..I know it's hard to see in the uploaded video..I can manipulate the actual video on my comp. better.

My misses tend to be slightly right..and actually that shot..although feeling solid and took off great..still ended up more right than wanted..I ended up in the right side greenside bunker..but the distance was right on.

My problem is when I get to the top of my backswing I feel that it's just not enough so I tend to reach a little more..and thus I think why my club gets out of plane..I got plenty parallel..just kept going for some reason..like Daly.

I was really looking at my back swing and for some reason my hands get tweaked at the top and the grip points right of the target. I should just come down, but for some reason I don't..even my golf bud, who's a 5 handicap, says I look great and I should just come back down..

Maverick,

You're exactly right. The blocks to the right come from the compensation you're performing to counteract the steepening effects of being across the line at the top. The big thing I see is dropping the club to the inside on the way down and coming in to out on the downswing. You don't seem to be overdoing it, but over time this can lead to big problems, some of which I faced which lead me to change my swing. I think shortening your swing and working to keep the club from getting across the line will help shallow you out and prevent you from needing to compensate on the downswing.

It may be the camera angle but it looks like when you start you swing your arms are raising up and out just a bit and you cannot square the club back at impact leaving it open a degree or two open, while not creating a slice you are actully hitting it straight just off line a little.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Enjoyed the video.
Balance and tempo are real good.
Head and front shoulder are well positioned through impact.

Besides what you and Gas_Can have already said about crossing the line . . .
I would suggest a slightly more upright stance by putting a little bit more arch in the small of your back, that will prevent shallowing it out right before impact. Get your chin up a few degrees, that too will help prevent blocking.

Being that this was an 8 iron the backswing may have been too long, it looks like a good backswing for a 3 iron, so try to shorten the backswing just a bit on the shorter irons.

Maybe try to get your hands a bit higher on the follow through.

It's a good swing for you, there are just minor tweaks suggestions. Good luck! How did you like Shadow Ridge?

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

I have to agree with everyone...your swing and tempo look pretty good. It does look like you have a tendacy to losw a couple right though.
Somethings I noticed...
- You get a little lose at the top. Like you said, it seems you are trying to get "a little More." Try keeping that left arm straight a little more. You get some distance through your whipping action of the club with your forearms through impact, but more power is based off your legs and torso muscles. Most people, when they get lose at the top, tend to get a little off balance and lose a little from their core muscles.
- I may be wrong about this one. I cant slow the video down enough to really tell, but it looks as though you may be pushing the club through with your right hand. It is another thing that can lead to a slice or a push and overall inconsistant shots.
Hope this helps, and plaease take some more video. Fundamentally, you have a pretty good looking swing.

John

IN THE BAG

Driver - 905T / 8.5 / Speeder Stiff3 Wood - G5 / 13 degree / Stock X-StiffIrons - G5 / 4-PW / Stock Stiff Wedges - Vokey / 252.08, 256.14, 260.08Putter - Old School B60Ball - Pro-V1

How did you like Shadow Ridge?

Shadow Ridge was wonderful..one of the best I've played in a while..loved each hole..exciting holes each one..wonderful layout..not too hard but not easy either..would gladly play again when it gets warmer.

Thanks for the comments..yes, I'm working on not taking the club back so much and making the swing more compact.

Where did this shot go, to the right?

You have a very good 3/4 backswing position and your position at the top is also very solid. Your takeaway is a bit wristy though. You are probably robbing yourself of a bit of power. Try taking the club back really low along the ground and keep your hands as far away from your body as possible on your backswing to create more torque. You should feel your midsection tighten as you wind around it.

Or your downswing the first move seems to be a slight over the top move, as evidenced by the shaft being nearly vertical. To get the most power and consistency, the shaft of the club would normally be coming down on the same plane or slightly below it so that the club arrives at the ball slightly from the inside of your target line. To feel this action, take the club back to the top and start your downswing slowly. Stop your hands at your hip level. now "pump" your hands up to the top and back to hip level a few times. Now follow through. You can do this while hitting balls. There is a good example of this drill here: http://www.johnpallotgolf.com/tip_052005.asp

You can probably pick up a club more distance by improving your path.
Good luck!

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

ok, i didn't read ANY of the replies above, but here's my 2 cents.

Your backswing is great

Posture is a little bit too hunched over

You come up a little too quickly with your body after impact (need to release more and follow through to to target)

Also with your follow throuh, try and keep your head down and keep it still longer through impact and the follow through...this way, your body will naturally stay in good position with your spine angle...

I'm no pro, but I tend to see the swing well for my friends (and myself)

Hope you spend the time to work on your swing, it's so important I can't stress it enough...Happy GOLFING!!!

Ping i15 8.5 Stock Stiff
Titleist 906F2 13* w/UST V2 FW 92g X

Titleist AP2 3-GW (KBS Tour)
Cleveland CG14 Black Pearl (56/60)

Titleist Cameron Futura 34" & Titleist ProV1x

Note: This thread is 6304 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!