IGNORED

Can I be a scratch 10 years from now?

very handicap
Note: This thread is 4707 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Exactly-I was responding to the OP's actual question . As has been pointed out, the chance that any individual golfer, even one who starts young and practices extensively will make it to scratch is extremely slim.  Based on the OP's stipulated playing/practicing and question about getting to scratch the odds are approximately no chance.  I'm a 5.9 who plays and practices whenever I can afford to/have the time and the odds that I'll ever get to scratch are equally slim.

Originally Posted by shades9323

He hasn't dedicated himself to practice yet, what makes you think he will do it in the future.  He gave no indication that he is willing to switch around his golf game to get more practice and/or a teacher.  It seemed like he was wondering if he was going to be able to get that good just from playing.

You have to remember with your stats is that most members  of the club are not trying to be scratch golfers. They are more interested in playing golf than getting better.  Tell them that lifting wieghts and yoga for 4 hours a week for a year will add 15  yards to their shots, most of them will say I would rather play another 50 rounds of golf.  You might be able to get them out the range a couple times a week but things like putting and chipping practice is rarely done on any of the courses I have ever been on. I have seen people get down to 7 and 8 handicaps with a lot of play  but to get much lower requires a lot of practice since you need to eliminate those 2 or 3 bad shots in a round. Now there are some scratch guys who don't practice and only play a couple times a week. All the ones that I know of did the practice years ago (college and HS golf) and are not sort of coasting  off that training.

Originally Posted by Gerald

Yep, at an average golfclub (overhere) there are let's say 700-800 members, only about 2,5% is single digit and less than 0,3% is below 5.0 !

Close to scratch is maybe only 1 or 2 out of 1000 golfers.

Like you say there are so many pretty good golfers, playing around 10-14 index, sometimes they reach 9 and two months later they are back to 11, etc.

Most golfers striking good balls, being good at short play, even putting like 1.8 average, loosing maybe 1 ball per round, hitting one in a water hazard each round and still miss a few pars or even miss 1 or 2 bogeys per round, hitting a few thinned or fat shots per round, will play in the 12-16 handicap range all their golfing lifes.

Only the minority (seeing the sport in the game) have the dedication to focus on making pars and birdies and reach well below 8 something......

And all players like me or maybe even at half my index, know how easy it is to make a few mistakes (I would not even call them mistakes) and end up with a few bogeys or even a double bogey (or worse).... just watch the pro's making a double or tripple ...... it is so easy to turn in a low 80's round with just a little bit of bad luck and 7 missed birdies.

Going from 5 to 3 requires to become at least twice as good, not to mention what it takes to get from 15ish to scratch........

Driving range is crutial to bring down your handicap. I know I'm only a 25 handicapper but I've noticed a huge difference in my game by going up the range 2 times a week and having lessons!

Cobra AMP 9.5* driver Nike VR Pro 15* 3W Nike VR 19* 5W Titleist AP1 irons 4-PW Nike VR Pro wedges 50.10 56.10 - Nike VR wedge 58.10 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 putter Pro V1x ball

Note: This thread is 4707 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!