IGNORED

Cold weather play

Note: This thread is 6299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

at what tempature does the coldness start to affect distance and how much does it affect it?

In the bag:
Driver: Taylor Made 09' Burner 9.5*
Woods: Nicklaus 18* Hybrid
Cobra DWS Baffler Hybrid 20*
Irons: Mizuno MX-200 4-Gw Project x 5.5Wedge: Cleveland Black Pearl CG14 54* & 58*Putter: Scotty Cameron TEI 3 Newport 2Balls: Prov1x

Cold weather makes it harder for the golf ball to compress (thus affecting distance), but exactly at which degree I am not sure.

Dual Point 10.5 Stiff Driver
Dual Point 3 Wood
NPS-1 Irons
Dual Slot 52, 56, 60 Wedges
Newport 2

Thanks for the feedback. I knew it affects it to some degree but I didn't know if there was a general scale you went by for how much your club change should be.

In the bag:
Driver: Taylor Made 09' Burner 9.5*
Woods: Nicklaus 18* Hybrid
Cobra DWS Baffler Hybrid 20*
Irons: Mizuno MX-200 4-Gw Project x 5.5Wedge: Cleveland Black Pearl CG14 54* & 58*Putter: Scotty Cameron TEI 3 Newport 2Balls: Prov1x

I heard every 10 degrees below 70 you should take one extra club - but I can't find it... so take it with a grain of salt.

I also remember hearing you lose like 6 yards or so with every 10 degrees - but again, I can't find actual documentation.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Dual Point 10.5 Stiff Driver
Dual Point 3 Wood
NPS-1 Irons
Dual Slot 52, 56, 60 Wedges
Newport 2

Cold air is heavier and offers more resistance to the flight of the ball.
Moisture in the air offers even more resistance.

So if it is cold and damp you will need to take an extra club or two.

If it is just cold and dry then maybe one extra club.

I was told by a starter at unscale course who seemed very knowledgeable, that the day we were playing as it was freezing cold and the air was very dense we would need to take 2 extra clubs. I found that it wasn't that much, maybe one club.

Playing near the coast where the air can get saturated with moisture definitely cuts down distance at least one club, if cold and foggy 1 1/2 to 2 clubs.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

living in Minnesota I can attest to a lot of experience in this field...

Here are my tips...If the temps get below 60 degrees

Don't leave your clubs in the car the night before a round
Don't leave your balls in the car the night before a round

Both can have a dramatic effect on distance and control.

As for distance loss in the cold, if I take the steps mentioned above, I only see a change in distance if it's under 50 or 55 degrees. It will tend to play one club more, but we're talking 50 degrees, not 60 or 65 like some play in and think it's freezing! But, you have to take into effect the air in your area, because I am speaking for MN air, not Colorado, or AZ.

Nothing beats a late fall round when it's snowing outside...my record temperature playing a round... 37 degrees with snowflakes everywhere!
Ping i15 8.5 Stock Stiff
Titleist 906F2 13* w/UST V2 FW 92g X

Titleist AP2 3-GW (KBS Tour)
Cleveland CG14 Black Pearl (56/60)

Titleist Cameron Futura 34" & Titleist ProV1x

Note: This thread is 6299 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!