IGNORED

Iron technology

Note: This thread is 6248 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you guys think iron technology has changed all that much in the past 5 or so years? It seems that driver technology has advanced a ton but I'm not sure about iron sets and wedges. Maybe because it's not as noticeable but I'd be curious to hear what you all think.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I think that hybrids are the technological advance in irons. Other than that there have been some advances in materials, cleveland, callaway. Shafts-especially graphite and flighted shafts. Certainly the super game improvement clubs for high handiappers have advanced. Clubheads for mid and low handicappers haven't changed because the extra forgiveness also costs workability. Forged clubs with some game improvement features have advanced. For the guys playing dynamic gold and blades, well grooves?

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

What do you think of a set like the Olimar IRS irons? I used to be a 13 handicapper and have skyrocketed to a 23 once I started shanking the ball a few years ago. I've tried so many tips & tricks to rid myself of this curse and I'd give anything to be able to add some confidence back into my game! Someone recommended that I take a close look at an IRS set. They appear very similar to the Cleveland HiBore irons with more of a "woodsy" look to them. I'm sure there is some good natured ribbing that goes along with owning a set of these, but, I'd rather have that than the looks of sympathy I get when we're searching in the woods to right where I just hit my most recent iron shot!

Thanks for any thoughts you have on this.

Steve

What do you think of a set like the Olimar IRS irons? I used to be a 13 handicapper and have skyrocketed to a 23 once I started shanking the ball a few years ago. I've tried so many tips & tricks to rid myself of this curse and I'd give anything to be able to add some confidence back into my game! Someone recommended that I take a close look at an IRS set. They appear very similar to the Cleveland HiBore irons with more of a "woodsy" look to them. I'm sure there is some good natured ribbing that goes along with owning a set of these, but, I'd rather have that than the looks of sympathy I get when we're searching in the woods to right where I just hit my most recent iron shot!

Oh boy, the dreaded "S" word... I honestly don't know much about those Orlimar irons you referred to. HiBore irons may help but might be a temporary solution. If you were once a 13 then perhaps a lesson would be more helpful. You could be just a little bit off and have been grooving this flaw. What are you playing for irons now? I think you'd be able to play anything in the game improvement category and would be still a good choice once you correct this issue. I would hate for you to get a set of Hibore (or Orlimar) super game improvement irons, get your swing corrected and then wish you had something a little less meaty looking. By no means am I a pro and I would recommend seeking a pro but perhaps hit some practice shots with a board, or another club pointing at your target. Place the ball just inside that board and hit shots. It will prevent you from getting the hosel outside and help you get on a better swing plain.

Oh boy, the dreaded "S" word...

I know, that word makes me sick. When I think about golf in the off-season, I wonder if I'll still have the s's next year! It's in my head big time. I like to call them the "whirly birds", sounds more friendly! (The guys who I usually play with refuse to stand to my right when I'm making an approach shot into a green!).

What are you playing for irons now?

I have a set of Taylor Made Burner irons with the bubble-shaft that my father handed down to me. I've used them for about 3 years and I know they're not the problem. As anyone who sh%#Ks the ball can appreciate, I just want to enjoy playing golf again and am perfectly happy to spend the money if it will help, or even better, cure my "issue". I hit my woods very well and with complete confidence, so that's why this set is interesting to me... unfortunately, I just can't my woods far enough to reach the green in one shot so I eventually need to pull out an iron!

Thanks for the response! Steve

Have you tried exaggerationg the wind unwind action of the swing? Especailly with your feet together? Practice this at 1 /2 then 3/4 speed. Don't think about what your hands are doing just keep them relaxed and make sure your hips turn left immediately. This keeps you from overworking your upper body, keeps you connected until you naturally start swinging and releasing the club on path again.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I know, that word makes me sick. When I think about golf in the off-season, I wonder if I'll still have the s's next year! It's in my head big time. I like to call them the "whirly birds", sounds more friendly! (The guys who I usually play with refuse to stand to my right when I'm making an approach shot into a green!).

I hear ya... there is nothing worse than s'ing the ball all over the place. That is cruel and I wish that on nobody! Have you hit the Orlimar or Hibore irons? You are right, it is all about having fun and if you hit those well then it's worth it. If you haven't hit them I would at least suggest you try them out before buying them. But yeah, why not if it works. Golf Digest has a super game improvement iron section of their hot list you may want to check out. Quite a few really nice options.

so you have "El Josel".........................

have you tried putting your hat on backwards?
putting a tee in your ear?
placing all of your loose change in your right hand pocket?

tell me you've seen the movie....................
My Bag

Taylor Made: R580XD, Graffaloy Prototype Comp NT X
Callaway: Hawkeye VFT Pro 13*, Fujikura Vista Pro 70 S
Taylor Made: Rescue Mid TP 16*, Fujikura Vista Pro 90 STop Flite: Tour Grind 3-P, Rifle 5.0Cleveland: CG10 Black Pearl 54*Cleveland: Reg. 485 60*Heavy Putter: B1 malletT...

so you have "El Josel".........................

Seen the movie? I felt sick when I saw him do it the first time I watched it... plus, I'll never watch it again as it unnerves me!

Once, on a driving range (the day before a big member-member tourney) I was practicing with my irons and all was well until I got down to the sand wedge. I proceeded to rip off 15-20 shanks in a row that were classics, almost ended up behind me. When I was done (and feeling really really sick), I hadn't noticed that the guy I was there with had stopped hitting balls and was watching me, he said "that we really impressive". All the balls were in an adjacent fairway, about 20 yards out and about 40-50 yards to the right! By the way, has anyone tried the F2 Irons? They're advertised as "shank-proof"! Thanks for the responses, I'm glad to hear others know what I'm talking about and struggling with! Steve

Don't buy irons based on a temporary problem my friend, you will regret it. Spend some time with a pro and on the range and be patient and impatient at the same time.
What I mean by that is, don't wait for it to come to you magically or through super game improvement irons. Hit as much as you can and really think about working on it, get help. But on the same hand, be patient because these things take time.

that being said, shaking sucks

In the bag:
Great Big Birtha II Stiff 10 degrees
Hibore 15 degrees, V2 shaft stiff
X-forged 3-pw
Vokey Oil Can 256-10, 260-08 34in Tess ProV1

OK... so basically do you guys think irons have changed that much since my TA5 Gunmetal irons came out? I got these, I think in 2002 or 2003. They're solid and look good just curious if the newer iron sets are that much better.

Note: This thread is 6248 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!