IGNORED

Substituting a Hybrid for a 3 Wood

Note: This thread is 6244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The terms 1, 2, 3 as used to describe clubs are pretty outdated. You can get "woods" that have just about every loft from 6 to 30 degrees. The loft is the number that matters. One mans 2-wood is another mans 1 wood. Davis Love III plays a "3-wood" with 11 degrees of loft!

Same with irons. When I first hit my friends TM r7XD 9iron, I was amazed that I hit it as far as I hit my Nike 8 iron with an xtra 1/2" in the shaft! But after a little research I found the TM r7 XD 9 iron is the virtually same loft as a standard 8 iron in most sets, and the shafts are 1/2" longer than standard.

The right combo of loft, shaft design and length determines how the club plays for you. The Hybrid will have different characteristics which may or may not suit your game.

It's interesting to me to hear everyone talking about how easy hybrids are to hit. I think I'm the one person in the world who can't hit a hybrid. I've tried the Cleveland Halo, Nike CPR, TM Rescue. I can't hit any of them!! The ball goes so high my friends joke that I should put a monkey in the ball and send it to the moon. I tried a 21 degree Rescue wood two weeks ago and could only hit it about 180. That's the same distance I hit a 7 iron!! Does anyone else have this problem with hybrids, or am I the only hack??

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

Thanks for the reply. I love the looks of my 3 wood and it is great when you hit it good. Looks ain't everything. I used my hybrid last night and worked at well using it instead of a 3 wood. I hit it pretty good of the tee as well. I'm going to find a 17 degree and try it before I buy another one. By reading all the post here and on other topics it comes down what you are comfortable with and hit well. I play with a guy who use a 3 iron off the tee. I still believe he needs to work on hitting a driver. I love this forum and all the reviews. The only time I had trouble last night with the hybrid was when I felt way to confident and try to really swing it hard. One more question the shaft is a v2 extra stiff which I need a stiff. If had a stiff shaft would I hit better or about the same? Thanks

You are correct when you state that ultimately the club you choose for a given situation depends, to a great degree, on the club with which you feel most comfortable. As you improve and gain experience, you will wish to experiment a bit.

As for your query about shafts, you really should experiment with different shafts and, that's best done with a professional fitter and launch monitor to determine swing speed, ball flight, etc. I've heard and read that most people play with shafts too firm for their swing speed. The best way to determine which shaft and firmness is right for you is to get the assistance of a good club fitter, especially if you've never gone through that drill. Good luck to you.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Thanks. I'm going to try to get it done in a few weeks. I hope I don't have to change shafts. I love the feel of stiff shafts, it makes you feel like you using a bat. A lot of shafts make you feel like you are swinging a tooth pick. What I've learned in this game everything is precision, ball placement, feet, alignment, grip, etc. etc. In baseball and softball grab hold of the bat and hit it.

In Your Bag

Nike Sumo2 5900
Adams Speedline 9032TI
Adams A4 Hybrid Irons 3-LWRife 2 Bar Hybrid PutterSrixon Z Star XAdams Cart Bag

I forgot to say something about the hybrid going in the air. I have a friend has the same problem but I believe why he does it is because he swings it like a wood ball up by his front foot. I believe if you swing it like a iron it will be different but I may be wrong.

In Your Bag

Nike Sumo2 5900
Adams Speedline 9032TI

I forgot to say something about the hybrid going in the air. I have a friend has the same problem but I believe why he does it is because he swings it like a wood ball up by his front foot. I believe if you swing it like a iron it will be different but I may be wrong.

I place the ball forward of center when swinging the 16 degree, a little less forward when swinging the 23 degree and a little less forward still ( but further forward than center ) when swinging the 26 degree hybrid. There are those who say one should swing the hybrid like an iron; that is, swinging down on the ball. I've found it helpful to do something in between an iron swing and a fairway wood swing. I still swing down on it but not nearly as much as one would an iron, perhaps more of a sweep like with a wood but taking a small divot. Therefore, I like to think of the best swing on my hybrids as somewhat between a proper iron swing and one appropriate for a fairway wood; well, what do you know?........a hybrid swing!

shortgame85
In the Bag:

I like that idea. I'm going to try it. I know the other day I hit the hybrid farther than I had before but haaven't figured out how I did it. That might be what I did. I'll let you know. Thanks Still haven't been using my 3 wood I guess it will be sell time. Also I'm going to try a 17 degree hybrid with a aldila nv 85 stiff green shaft. Are they good shafts?

In Your Bag

Nike Sumo2 5900
Adams Speedline 9032TI

I like that idea. I'm going to try it. I know the other day I hit the hybrid farther than I had before but haaven't figured out how I did it. That might be what I did. I'll let you know. Thanks Still haven't been using my 3 wood I guess it will be sell time. Also I'm going to try a 17 degree hybrid with a aldila nv 85 stiff green shaft. Are they good shafts?

I like the Aldila shafts. Not all shafts are for everybody. Aldila makes shafts they say are for hybrids and they make them in a stiff flex. Acushnet, the company which owns Titleist, owns Cobra, as well. You might try the Cobra Baffler DWS wiith the Aldila NV-HL stiff shaft. Let us know how things go for you.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

It's interesting to me to hear everyone talking about how easy hybrids are to hit. I think I'm the one person in the world who can't hit a hybrid. I've tried the Cleveland Halo, Nike CPR, TM Rescue. I can't hit any of them!! The ball goes so high my friends joke that I should put a monkey in the ball and send it to the moon. I tried a 21 degree Rescue wood two weeks ago and could only hit it about 180. That's the same distance I hit a 7 iron!! Does anyone else have this problem with hybrids, or am I the only hack??

You may wish to experiment with ball position, as well as the type of swing you put on the club. Given your handicap, I would guess you can alter your swing a bit.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Thanks. I went out and hit several balls at the range with the hybrid and irons etc. Hybrid and swing and ball position still haven't found the right combination yet. I was fortunate to hit the ball well with different swings and ball position. Several times I did something I didn't know I could do and maybe couldn't do it again was hit a fade with it.

In Your Bag

Nike Sumo2 5900
Adams Speedline 9032TI

Note: This thread is 6244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!