IGNORED

Substituting a Hybrid for a 3 Wood

Note: This thread is 6230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For the past two years, I've had trouble hitting my 3 wood flush from the fairway. It has got to the point that I hit my 5 wood from the fairway instead of my 3 wood and only use the 3 wood on a long par three. I would like to have the distance of a 3 wood on my course about 5 to 6 times during a round, but if I play the percentages, I do better hitting a 5 or 7 wood. While I hit those clubs generally in the direction to which they're aimed, I don't get quite the distance I need. In the meantime, I have substituted successfully hybrids for my 4 and 5 irons. I hit those hybrids so well so often that it occurred to me to consider substituting a #1 hybrid for my 3 wood. After all, if one is playing the percentages, wouldn't it make sense to use that which is working so well already? So today, I went to the local Pro Shop to consult the Pro. I explained the situation and was rather surprised to learn that he had already come to the same conclusion for his own set of clubs. Now this boy is no slouch. He carries a plus handicap. And he is considerably younger than I am. So, with that bit of reinforcement, I ordered a #1 hybrid, ( Cobra Baffler DWS ) which I believe is about 16 degrees of loft. I put this up for discussion, if anyone cares to, because I know of few who have substituted a 3 wood for the equivalent hybrid. I am curious if anyone has attempted this and with what success, and, of course, I'm interested in the usual commentary that is thrown about.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

For the past two years, I've had trouble hitting my 3 wood flush from the fairway. It has got to the point that I hit my 5 wood from the fairway instead of my 3 wood and only use the 3 wood on a long par three. I would like to have the distance of a 3 wood on my course about 5 to 6 times during a round, but if I play the percentages, I do better hitting a 5 or 7 wood. While I hit those clubs generally in the direction to which they're aimed, I don't get quite the distance I need. In the meantime, I have substituted successfully hybrids for my 4 and 5 irons. I hit those hybrids so well so often that it occurred to me to consider substituting a #1 hybrid for my 3 wood. After all, if one is playing the percentages, wouldn't it make sense to use that which is working so well already? So today, I went to the local Pro Shop to consult the Pro. I explained the situation and was rather surprised to learn that he had already come to the same conclusion for his own set of clubs. Now this boy is no slouch. He carries a plus handicap. And he is considerably younger than I am. So, with that bit of reinforcement, I ordered a #1 hybrid, ( Cobra Baffler DWS ) which I believe is about 16 degrees of loft. I put this up for discussion, if anyone cares to, because I know of few who have substituted a 3 wood for the equivalent hybrid. I am curious if anyone has attempted this and with what success, and, of course, I'm interested in the usual commentary that is thrown about.

I just got back from Roger Dunn after returning my 3W and getting a 2H. I couldn't find any 1H with regular flex, aside from new ones. My 5W is coming out of the bag at some point in favor of either a 14* (for what should have replaced the 3W) or a 20* (to bridge the gap). When I was playing yesterday, I hit 5W and 3W once each; my 3W shot was awful. I felt bad, too; I had 200 yards to go to the green on a par-5... after my tee shot . And I'm a small guy! This was the drive of my life. So I pull the 3W and... into the rough, hit a bad pitch, a bad chip, another bad chip, 2 putts, and a double bogey when I was 200 yards out after 1. At that point, I decided I'll be getting a hybrid to replace the 3W. My 5W I hit well sometimes. I hit it only once yesterday, on the second par-5 (the above happened at the first). Not quite the same situation, and I went fairway to fairway/rough (first cut, but at this place, it might as well have been fairway). After that, when I was more than regular 4-Iron distance out, I grabbed my 4H (which I hit farther than 4I). Fairway woods may well be a thing of the past, except for those who can hit them superbly. Kind of like traditional 2-iron; IIRC, Tiger is one of the few who uses such a thing. But I'm not about to base my club selection on what Tiger chooses until I'm far better

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I do not have a 3w wood in my bag I carry a strong 5 wood and a hybrid 21* which suits me well, I use my hybrid when going toward greens and a 5 wood if im gonna lay up and hit something like a stinger and run it down a fairway on windy days, I like it alot, way more control.

for me, i'd learn to hit the 3W if i were you. i find my 19 degree hybrid easier to hit than a 18/19 degree fairway wood, but i have trouble with hybrids that have a 3 wood loft and can hit a low lofted FW much easier.

In my Bag:

Nike Sasquatch Tour 9.5*, Diamana BlueBoard 83S
Mizuno F-50 15*
Mizuno F-50 18*TaylorMade Rescue TP 21*Mizuno MP60 4-PWMizuno MP-R 54.10Cleveland CG10 60.08Mizuno Bettinardi C-01

I just got back from Roger Dunn after returning my 3W and getting a 2H. I couldn't find any 1H with regular flex, aside from new ones.

I, too, am somewhat vertically challenged, Shindig. Indeed, my irons are about - 1/4". I did some research about low lofted hybrids. Callaway makes a #1 hybrid in their Heavenwood line, but list as available a graphite shaft only in the firm flex. Likewise, Cobra provides the Baffler DWS in a 16 degree club and lists as available a graphite shaft in only the stiff flex. I hit someone's heavenwood last year with great success, and I wouldn't mind giving that club a try. However, I own a #4 and a #5 Cobra Baffler with the Aldila NV-HL reg flex shaft. I've enjoyed those so much, I decided to stick with the Cobra line. So, my club pro called Cobra to find out whether they would provide me the 16 degree hybrid in the same shaft and flex as my other hybrids. They agreed to do so and I ordered one on the spot. I should receive it late next week. I can't wait to take it to the course. The interesting thing to me is this: in our discussion about hybrids versus fairway woods, my pro suggested ditching my other two woods as well as my 3 wood. He seems to think that hybrids, in general, are easier to hit than the fairway woods and, if one plays the percentages, one should substitute all fairway woods with hybrids. I am considering his suggestion. However, I hit my 7 wood very well and my 5 wood very well, though not quite as well as often as the 7. I suppose this is essentially an issue each player must decide for himself. But I do find it interesting that, with so much being discussed about big drivers and their higher MOI and, likewise, with putters, a whole category of clubs ( fairway woods ) may be slowly being supplanted by another ( hybrids ) as technology continues to impact the look, feel and performance of golf.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Hey shortgame-

I replaced my 3 wood with a 14* Callaway FT this winter. Although it's still early in the season here, I've played a few rounds with the new setup and have two main observations:

1) I feel like I have more directional control with the hybrid. Possibly because of the shorter shaft length? And I haven't noticed any loss of distance.

2) The trajectory with the hybrid is much lower than with the 3W.

What's in the bag?

Driver: r7 425, 9.5*, ReAx 65 S
Hybrid: FT, 14*, Aldila NV Hybrid 85 S 350
Hybrid: 585H, 21*, Aldila NV Hybrid 85 SIrons: MP 57, 3-PW, DGS300Wedges: CG10, 54, 58Putter: White Hot #4Ball: ProV1x

I, too, am somewhat vertically challenged, Shindig. Indeed, my irons are about - 1/4".

Yeah. I love by Cobra Baffler, above all. If I could hit it well off a tee, it would be my favorite club, bar none. When I got it, the pro suggested either that or a 7-Wood, with a preference for the hybrid unless I really like FWs. I was saddened to see that Baffler's 1H only comes in stiff. Also, due to my budget, I must frequent the used section, and all the bafflers there were stiff. I can't swing a stiff-shafted club.

On the other hand, when I get some money flowing (summer job, etc), I'm going to stow it away for when my handicap lowers to warrant a new set of clubs (game-improvement irons instead of super-game improvement irons), and I'm looking at Cobra all the way at this point...
The interesting thing to me is this: in our discussion about hybrids versus fairway woods, my pro suggested ditching my other two woods as well as my 3 wood. He seems to think that hybrids, in general, are easier to hit than the fairway woods and, if one plays the percentages, one should substitute all fairway woods with hybrids. I am considering his suggestion. However, I hit my 7 wood very well and my 5 wood very well, though not quite as well as often as the 7. I suppose this is essentially an issue each player must decide for himself. But I do find it interesting that, with so much being discussed about big drivers and their higher MOI and, likewise, with putters, a whole category of clubs ( fairway woods ) may be slowly being supplanted by another ( hybrids ) as technology continues to impact the look, feel and performance of golf.

Drivers aren't really a 1-Wood anymore. The size and distance gap is just huge for so many people, including the pros.

As for hybrids, these are just the next evolution of fairway woods. It just took us, and marketing, a while to figure it out

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Bottom line is you should hit what you hit well and are confident and comfortable with. You did mention that you hit your 5 wood well and I'm not sure if you'll find a hybrid club that you will hit much longer than that to take the place of your 3 Wood. While hybrids are replacing fairway woods in many bags, the one constant is the 3 Wood. Perphaps a 14 degree, I don't know I haven't ever hit a hybrid that strong, but in general I don't think there are many hybrids that will fly as long as a well struck 3 wood. Hey, nothing at all wrong with having trouble hitting a 3 wood off the carpet, I guess I"m just saying I think you're best bet is to continue to hit the 5 Wood.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Hey shortgame-

I am absolutely trying to obtain better and more consistent directional control by switching from a fairway wood to a hybrid. There are many times, in fact most times, when using a 3 wood on a long par 4 or par 5 when I just want as straight and as long a shot as I can get. I hope to achieve this end with the 16 degree hybrid. My fairway wood is 15 degrees, but if I hit the 16 degree hybrid more flush more often, then it just seems to reason that it will go farther than the 3 wood hit less well. At least this is what I hope happens.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Bottom line is you should hit what you hit well and are confident and comfortable with. You did mention that you hit your 5 wood well and I'm not sure if you'll find a hybrid club that you will hit much longer than that to take the place of your 3 Wood. While hybrids are replacing fairway woods in many bags, the one constant is the 3 Wood. Perphaps a 14 degree, I don't know I haven't ever hit a hybrid that strong, but in general I don't think there are many hybrids that will fly as long as a well struck 3 wood. Hey, nothing at all wrong with having trouble hitting a 3 wood off the carpet, I guess I"m just saying I think you're best bet is to continue to hit the 5 Wood.

You make a very good point about continuing to hit the 5 wood in place of the 3 wood off the carpet. That's what I've been doing with some success. Because, like most of us afflicted with a penchant for golf, I want to do better, I am looking for a little more distance from the fairway. I reason that if I hit that 16 degree hybrid better and more consistantly than the 3 wood, then I may get more from the hybrid than from the 3 wood. I guess the thing to determine is whether I can hit the hybrid longer than I hit my 5 wood. I think I can but, the proof will be in the results, which I will see next week. But your point is well taken. Thanks.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

• 2 weeks later...
I picked up my 16 degree Hybrid, yesterday, and took it to the range and the course for a workout. It was cold mid-morning when I began warming up on the range. While I hit my irons well, and my other hybrids, too, I didn't hit the new club all that well. After warming up a bit, I started out on the back nine of our course to play a quick nine before the start of the Masters coverage. I hit the driver poorly and needed some long carry from the fairway to the green on many holes. So on 10, 11, 13 and 14 out comes the 5 wood. I get to the par 5 15th. My tee shot is straight but not long ( a sorry condition, I might add ). My lie is good, so I pull out the hybrid and give it a go. Must have had some spinach in my blood at that moment because I hit it on the screws! Placed my third shot just off the green on the right. Chipped to within 6" of the cup and tapped in for a par. Perhaps for Tiger and others, that would have been a disapointment; for me, it was a cause for celebration. Granted, the 16 degree Hybrid was not used for the chip; used only once properly for the round ( I did try to put a good swing on it for my second shot on the par 5 18th, but I hit it fat; however, due to decent course management, I was able to squeek out a par ). So, I must keep practicing to get to the point when I can hit the new club with the same confidence I hit the other hybrids in my bag, and I when I get to that point, I will see whether or not I made a good decision to replace the 3 wood. Reminds me of the Mel Brooks line in "Blazing Saddles" : " Work, work, work! All I do is work, work work!"

But the memory of that second shot on the 15th lingers on and, so, back I shall trod to the course for another go at it, soon.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

I took my 3W and my 5W out of my bag, put them next to my 3i and 4i in my garage. I have 2 TM Rescue Dual Hybrids that I just hit more consistently. I'd rather layup with a hybrid than go for it with a 3 wood because FOR ME it's the right thing to do.....I'll hit the hybrid well much more often than the 3W. I also have always hit my 5W pretty well but what I've discovered is that I just hit the hybrid better. So right now I have a driver (TM R7 460), a 7 wood (old Cobra that I've hit for years) and 2 hybrids in my bag.

What's in my bag?
Bigger Sticks....: Driver: ping.gif G15 9* Fairwayping.gif 4-wood  Hybrids: 4,5  taylormade.gif Rescue Dual
Smaller Sticks...: Irons:  ping.gif G15 5-PW Wedges: titleist.gif Vokey Wedges 48, 52, 56 degree
Flatter Stick......:  odyssey.gif 2-ball putter
Not a Stick.........: Ball:  titleist.gif Dt So/Lo or NXT Tour  Bag:  taylormade.gif Catalina clicgear.gif

I took my 3W and my 5W out of my bag, put them next to my 3i and 4i in my garage. I have 2 TM Rescue Dual Hybrids that I just hit more consistently. I'd rather layup with a hybrid than go for it with a 3 wood because FOR ME it's the right thing to do.....I'll hit the hybrid well much more often than the 3W. I also have always hit my 5W pretty well but what I've discovered is that I just hit the hybrid better. So right now I have a driver (TM R7 460), a 7 wood (old Cobra that I've hit for years) and 2 hybrids in my bag.

You know, I think that if you hit one club better than another (e.g. a hybrid rather than an iron or a hybrid better than a wood or an iron better than a hybrid ), then that's the club you should use. I also think one should have a rationale for one's set makeup. For me, as one who is not a long hitter, that means being sure I have clubs that give me a chance to get to the green in regulation; therefore, I have carried a 3 ( now, about to be substituted for a 16 degree hybrid ), 5 and 7 wood, along with 23 degree ( in place of a 4 iron ) and 26 degree ( in place of a 5 iron ) hybrids . If I were a longer hitter, then I might have one or two more wedges and a club or two less on the long end of the set. As for your idea to lay up with a hybrid, or just the idea of laying up in general, it makes perfect sense if, by laying up, you then stand a better chance of getting up and down than if you hit a shot with a club that more often than not promised trouble. For those of us mid to high handicappers, especially for those of us who lack the distance of our larger, stronger brethren, choosing clubs based on accuracy even at the expense of a little distance makes great sense if we accept the fact that we really have to work on our short game to compensate for not making that green in regulation. Your point is well made.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Great Topic. This is the same dilemna I'm in. I have a 13 degree 906f2 sometimes hit in the fairway soemtimes not. I'm more consistent on the tee but still not great. I have a 19 degree 585 love it. I'm thinking of getting a 17 and 21 degree 585 to replace the 906f2 and the 19 585. I believe the 17 degree distance wise will be close to the 3 wood. Any other solutions. Thanks
Also I hope the 17 degree 585 is easy to hit like the 19. Thanks Again

In Your Bag

Nike Sumo2 5900
Adams Speedline 9032TI
Adams A4 Hybrid Irons 3-LWRife 2 Bar Hybrid PutterSrixon Z Star XAdams Cart Bag

Great Topic. This is the same dilemna I'm in. I have a 13 degree 906f2 sometimes hit in the fairway soemtimes not. I'm more consistent on the tee but still not great. I have a 19 degree 585 love it. I'm thinking of getting a 17 and 21 degree 585 to replace the 906f2 and the 19 585. I believe the 17 degree distance wise will be close to the 3 wood. Any other solutions. Thanks

The 17 degree hybrid will be close or better in distance than the 13 degree 906 if you hit the hybrid more flush more often than you hit the 3 wood. Actually, one should be able to hit a 13 degree fairway wood longer than a 17 degree hybrid because the wood has a lower loft and a longer shaft than the hybrid. But the hybrid should be easier to hit well more often and therefore provide you with a consistently longer distance than an on again off again 3 wood. And, if it proves more reliable for you because it is easier to hit, then, by all means give the hybrid a try.

I went to my home course, yesterday, and pulled my 16 degree hybrid out on 7 holes ( 3 par 5s and 3 par 4s and a tee shot on a long par 3 ). I parred 2 of the par 5s and 1 of the par 4s on which I used the hybrid. Plus, I felt a lot more confident hitting the hybrid off the carpet than I did when I used my 3 wood. I think that confidence proved helpful. However, I don't hit the 17 degree hybrid off the tee as well as I hit the 15 degree 3 wood. I am willing to work on the tee shots with the hybrid in exchange for the great confidence it gives me with shots off the carpet. For now, the 3 wood is in golf bag purgatory.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Thanks for the reply. I love the looks of my 3 wood and it is great when you hit it good. Looks ain't everything. I used my hybrid last night and worked at well using it instead of a 3 wood. I hit it pretty good of the tee as well. I'm going to find a 17 degree and try it before I buy another one. By reading all the post here and on other topics it comes down what you are comfortable with and hit well. I play with a guy who use a 3 iron off the tee. I still believe he needs to work on hitting a driver. I love this forum and all the reviews. The only time I had trouble last night with the hybrid was when I felt way to confident and try to really swing it hard. One more question the shaft is a v2 extra stiff which I need a stiff. If had a stiff shaft would I hit better or about the same? Thanks

In Your Bag

Nike Sumo2 5900
Adams Speedline 9032TI
Adams A4 Hybrid Irons 3-LWRife 2 Bar Hybrid PutterSrixon Z Star XAdams Cart Bag

At the moment beside my driver the lowest lofted club is a 2h from Callaway (i lost my 3wood in a little wager). I rarely used my 3 wood though - in 90 % of the cases when i wanted to reach a Par 5 in two and the other cases if i ****ed up my drive and had to hit it from the ladies tee :). The par 3´s i played just werent longer than 220 yards to necesserily hit a 3 wood.

Now i will get a new 3 wood (actually 2 wood i think) with a 13 degree loft since most of the time its either of the tee with a little bit more control than my driver or from the fairway (on my current course i only can play it from 1 or if the ball lie is really good from 2 spots on par 5´s to go for the green in 2) where i just want to max out distance. I decided on the 13 degree loft instead 15 just for the simple reason that when i want to hit it, i wanna have max. distance and not max. control + far distance. If latter would be the case i definitly would go with the rescue cuz the wood just places the ball anywhere without a chance to control it for me.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Note: This thread is 6230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!