IGNORED

7-Iron Distance

TarDawg
Note: This thread is 6190 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
'The weird thing is my ball is going a LOT higher, too. It's a bit freaky, but my swing is in a better place right now. If I can get the hang of maintaining my lag a little longer, I should really be getting them out there.'

Let's keep this thread on-topic. If you'd like a more complete answer than the below, please start a new thread.

Lag: the angle between the arms and the club shaft. Good lag = opposite of "casting." Think of it as the hands going through and snapping the clubhead to the ball with the wrists. Now, please, back to topic.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Let's keep this thread on-topic. If you'd like a more complete answer than the below, please start a new thread.

Isn't 'lag' a contributing factor to 7-Iron Distance?

In My Bag:
Driver: 905t, 9.5*, Grafalloy Blue Stiff
3-Wood: 906f2, 15*, NV-S
Hybrid: 585h, 19*, NV-S
Irons: 735.CM, DG S300Wedges: CG10 52*, 56*, Vokey Spin Milled 60*Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: One PlatinumHome Course: Stoke Park Club

I was half giggling half rolling my eyes at some of the responses. I honestly don't care if I hit a 7 and you hit a 9 to get to the same place. But being that I'm 5-10 220 I feel I should be able to hit the ball a little longer than some one 5-10 180 (unless it's Charles Howell III). For me I worry about the distance only because for me it's telling me I'm striking the ball well. If I'm left or right but long it means my club face wasn't square to the target at impact or I had some silly swing. Which for me is normally over the top for my slices. And for my hooks i tend to get too armsy on my swing.

Makes sense to me. For instance lately I have not been hitting it real "pure" (hitting a lot of shots on the toe) as I am having a problem consistently squaring the club face at impact (???) and becuase of that I have had to take one more club when on the golf course and trying to score. So to keep this post "On Topic" I am hitting my 7 iron in cases where I would have played an 8 iron (165 yds). So it is back to the driving range to try and fix my problem...

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

I know the tour guy's are hitting 7 irons from 170-190 yards but I believe there are a few factors going on with that. For one, the pro's have clubs tweaked to perfection for thier swing and most if not all of them turn the lofts down meaning thier 7 iron loft and length is not what you buy off the shelf. The other thing is I think the TV anouncers stretch it just a hair. Not saying thier lying, just saying they may not report all the factors or thier yardages are just a bit off. I know some Champions Tour Anouncers got busted for that a few years ago. One other thing is the fact that they swing better and make better contact so the ball goes farther.

I think the caddies sometimes let them know the wrong club on purpose.

I was watching a bit of the colonial today and there was a par 3, listed at 170 yards (don't remember the hole #). Jim Furyk was playing his tee shot, and the graphic and announcer said Jim is hitting an 8 iron. Now I am thinking that sounds like a long 8 iron for Furyk in kind of damp, not too hot temps. I would think he would be hitting a 7. Jim hits his shot, and fortunately at the end of his back swing you were able to see the number on his club, turned out he was hitting a 7. You can see the same thing happen when reading some of the post round interview transcripts and a player walks the media through his round. There have been one or two times, where the player will say I hit an 8 iron in here, and on the telecast I remember the announcers saying it was a 9. Makes you wonder if some of the caddies share hi/lo with the television crew to send misinformation back to the other tour players watching the telecast.
Driver: TM R7 SuperQuad 9.5*, RE*AX Stiff
3 Wood: TM R7 TP, 13*, Fujikura Stiff

Hybrids: TM Rescue Dual TPs 2, 3, and 4, Mitsubishi Diamana Stiff
Irons: 2-PW TM R7 TP, DG S300Gap Wedge: Callaway X-Tour 52*Lob Wedge: Callway X-Tour 58* PM GrindPutter: Odyssey White Steel #5Ball: Callaway HX-Tour2, 3,...

The conditions really do make a difference. I play most of my rounds at sea level and my stock 7 iron, mid day in high 60s/low 70s, no wind, is between 150 and 155. I have hit a well stuck 7 iron as little as 110 yards (strong head winds, elevation) and as long as 200 yards (down wind, down hill, firm/fast conditions).

When I play in Vegas or back in Minnesota, I usually play everything one club less for stock (my 7 is about 160 in both locations).
Driver: TM R7 SuperQuad 9.5*, RE*AX Stiff
3 Wood: TM R7 TP, 13*, Fujikura Stiff

Hybrids: TM Rescue Dual TPs 2, 3, and 4, Mitsubishi Diamana Stiff
Irons: 2-PW TM R7 TP, DG S300Gap Wedge: Callaway X-Tour 52*Lob Wedge: Callway X-Tour 58* PM GrindPutter: Odyssey White Steel #5Ball: Callaway HX-Tour2, 3,...

Saw a post that say he hits a 4 iron 230. PGA tour Pros hit their 4 Irons 205-215. So you are saying that you hit your 4 Iron past the pros the majority of the time??? Just curious... got a GPS unit?????

that chart is no good for me being 14 and playing of 7, but i hit a 7 iron 160 yard of the deck and 170 of the tee, but its not how far you hit your irons it how close you can put them to the pin, i play with lots of single category 1 handicappers and they dont hit it much further than me they just are a lot more accurate and there short grame is brilliant,

r7 quad ht
r7 ti 5 wood
duel stiff rescue
ht irons
49 deg 56 deg anser putter pro v1 ball

Saw a post that say he hits a 4 iron 230. PGA tour Pros hit their 4 Irons 205-215. So you are saying that you hit your 4 Iron past the pros the majority of the time??? Just curious... got a GPS unit?????

I have no doubt when I am swinging well that I can hit a hooded 4 iron 220-230. I believe the yardgae is correct based on my clubs yardage markers or sprinklers (no range finder). This course is used for USGA and FSGA qualifiers quite often so I would think they are pretty good yardages. Right now my 4 iron is my 210-215 club but I am not hitting it pure...off the toe alot. Not sure why (need someone to look at my swing) but it kind of feels like I am not getting proper wrist cock for some reason.

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

Note: This thread is 6190 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!