IGNORED

The Golf Swing Being Repeatable…

I was pondering a repeatable golf swing beings I am a beginner, and a lot of things have presented themselves in bad ways.  I am mainly speaking irons here.  The thing about golf is the ball is still, but the golfer is also standing over the ball.  Are we saying that each time I hit the ball, my spine angle, lead arm, trail arm, wrists, etc. have to be just about exact to have a repeatable golf swing?  This is already a "funky" position to be in, and a "funky" move to make.  The golf swing is more of a body swing (in my mind).  The ball is small and the sweet spot is small.  I just feel defeated in the fact that I need to bend over the ball the same way every time, same knee bend, same swing arc, and hit a small ball with a small sweet spot.  When I watch club fittings on YouTube, these guys are swinging about the same speed within 1 mph or so. Their Trackman numbers are pretty identical even in 10-20 swings.  I am just trying to make sure that this is the main summary of what needs to be done.  As a beginner, how did you all think through the process to make the swing repeatable?  Much appreciated.

BAG:  :cleveland:

DRIVER:  :tmade: Aeroburner Black Head 12.5*

WOODS:  :adams:  Tight Lies 5W & :wilson: Launch Pad 2 7W

HYBRIDS:  :adams: IDEA SUPER S VST 5H

IRONS:  :wilsonstaff: D9 (5-GW)

PUTTER:  :odyssey: Dual Force 550

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was going to link in the same think @snapfade did.  Your swing is already consistent, repeatable, except for nearly "microscopic" differences.  The more mechanically-sound your swing becomes, the smaller and less frequent those "microscopic" deviations become.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Many thanks.  I read a lot of those posts.   Man, that is really deep.  As an old beginner, during a lesson or on the driving range, I have hit a good shot, you know pretty straight and it goes say 130 yards (7 iron).  The very next swing, I dig a ditch behind the ball.  I know I didn't do the same things on both swings.  Even this last lesson I had, I would hit a pretty good shot, not so on the next shot.  The instructor would quickly point out, "Hey you stayed on your back foot" or "Guess what happened there.  You got all armsy or handsy".  Sort of feels like I need a checklist when I prepare to swing each time.  I can see it now before every swing, "Hey can you guys give me 10 minutes while I run through my checklist".  In all seriousness, I see what you all are saying.  I wouldn't be overthinking it so much if just I could make decent contact most of the time.  Next lesson is about two weeks away.  Can't wait.  

1 hour ago, collegefbfan said:

Many thanks.  I read a lot of those posts.   Man, that is really deep.  As an old beginner, during a lesson or on the driving range, I have hit a good shot, you know pretty straight and it goes say 130 yards (7 iron).  The very next swing, I dig a ditch behind the ball.  I know I didn't do the same things on both swings.  Even this last lesson I had, I would hit a pretty good shot, not so on the next shot.  The instructor would quickly point out, "Hey you stayed on your back foot" or "Guess what happened there.  You got all armsy or handsy".  Sort of feels like I need a checklist when I prepare to swing each time.  I can see it now before every swing, "Hey can you guys give me 10 minutes while I run through my checklist".  In all seriousness, I see what you all are saying.  I wouldn't be overthinking it so much if just I could make decent contact most of the time.  Next lesson is about two weeks away.  Can't wait.  

I usually shy away from giving advice on a golf swing since so many here are more qualified than I am.  You might try the following:

1.  Create a "MySwing" page on this  site and you will get a lot of good advice
  2. Filter all of the advice and try to only focus on one or two things at a time.  Unfortunately it is very hard, if not impossible, to constantly change different things at the same time.  Figure out what is the most important thing to work on at this moment in your golf swing and focus on that until you have it engrained, then move on the the next change.
  3. Remember, we all have both good & bad shots.  The difference between the pros and us hackers is the ratio of good to bad shots.
  4. Understand that a bad swing can occasionally look like a great result and a good swing can occasionally have a bad result.  The key is to focus on one thing and work to get that as consistent as possible.  Ideally that will gradually increase the number of good shots vs bad shots.   
  5. Do not forget to have fun.
  • Like 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

One thing that has helped me tremendously is to spray the club face with foot powder when I am on the range. Seeing ball impact can be quite helpful if you are hitting shots all over the place. It's not the cure all, but a good little thing to do on the range. The other thing, and I will forget to do it, is the pre-shot routine. Find me a spot a foot or so from the ball in-line with my target, take my stance, take the swing.  Sometimes you take a BS practice swing with no thought. Make it deliberate. 

As far as swing thoughts. I have 3 check-points. First is set-up, Second is my take away, Third is my downswing. I cant explain what I think I just know in my mind. Its a feeling that I have that feels right and experience has shown that if I follow those 3 thoughts more than likely the outcome will be what I was looking for. Now, thinking about the feeling and executing it properly is a whole different thing, that;s why I practice, I used to be over a 20 handicap, I am down to a 15.1 in about a year.  I feel like its good progress. the goal is a 10 by the end of the year. If I make it great, if not, hey at least Im not in Gaza. LOL

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

• iacas changed the title to The Golf Swing Being Repeatable…
3 hours ago, collegefbfan said:

I was pondering a repeatable golf swing beings I am a beginner, and a lot of things have presented themselves in bad ways.  I am mainly speaking irons here.  The thing about golf is the ball is still, but the golfer is also standing over the ball.  Are we saying that each time I hit the ball, my spine angle, lead arm, trail arm, wrists, etc. have to be just about exact to have a repeatable golf swing?  This is already a "funky" position to be in, and a "funky" move to make.  The golf swing is more of a body swing (in my mind).  The ball is small and the sweet spot is small.  I just feel defeated in the fact that I need to bend over the ball the same way every time, same knee bend, same swing arc, and hit a small ball with a small sweet spot.  When I watch club fittings on YouTube, these guys are swinging about the same speed within 1 mph or so. Their Trackman numbers are pretty identical even in 10-20 swings.  I am just trying to make sure that this is the main summary of what needs to be done.  As a beginner, how did you all think through the process to make the swing repeatable?  Much appreciated.

No! lol. But they have to be in the right sequence to play mid-handicap golf or little better. Mostly. And even in that there is range/margin for error in the motions and positions that most normal humans can handle. It helps if you have a decent idea of how a golf club moves around the body like you would any other equipment sports (baseball and hockey might be the closest) After all, fairways are 40 yards wide.

Don't overthink it. Be diligent in getting basics right. I will concede that it is harder than it sounds but it certainly is not exact angle/exact position/exact degree of bend/exact speed/exact facial expression, etc, every.... single.... time or the result is horrible death. 

Vishal S.

4 hours ago, collegefbfan said:

As a beginner, how did you all think through the process to make the swing repeatable?

My two cents? Don't. As a beginner that's interested in learning about the golf swing, you'll find yourself consuming a lot of information, most of which isn't even relevant to your own swing. You need to learn you can't think your way to a good golf swing. Focus on the one thing that you're working on and doing that on every swing, come what may. And remember, mishits happen.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

14 hours ago, collegefbfan said:

As a beginner, how did you all think through the process to make the swing repeatable?  Much appreciated.

Practice is the key to a repeatable swing.  The more you practice the more muscle memory gets ingrained.  I took lessons around 12 years old and have been playing ever since.  Even now, if I take 6 months away from golf I still have a reasonably repeatable swing thanks to muscle memory

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Thanks for all the replies folks.  I was also thinking about when you have to tilt on the downswing and follow through.  Different irons that are played have different lengths.  Does this affect I guess what they call pelvic tilt?  Or is it not that much difference really?  I know I can ask my golf instructor these things and will.  Lesson is near the end of the month.  But just out of curiosity.

3 hours ago, collegefbfan said:

Thanks for all the replies folks.  I was also thinking about when you have to tilt on the downswing and follow through.  Different irons that are played have different lengths.  Does this affect I guess what they call pelvic tilt?  Or is it not that much difference really?  I know I can ask my golf instructor these things and will.  Lesson is near the end of the month.  But just out of curiosity.

At address? I think so. Downswing and through? IDK. I doubt if a whole lot of golfers, if any at all, deliberately think "I have a 9-iron so I need to bend half an inch more through the downswing compared to my 8 iron". 

Vishal S.

On 5/7/2024 at 11:05 AM, collegefbfan said:

I was pondering a repeatable golf swing beings I am a beginner, and a lot of things have presented themselves in bad ways.  I am mainly speaking irons here.  The thing about golf is the ball is still, but the golfer is also standing over the ball.  Are we saying that each time I hit the ball, my spine angle, lead arm, trail arm, wrists, etc. have to be just about exact to have a repeatable golf swing? 

The answer to this question is a very small change in impact can cause a BIG impact in direction. This is with the driver, but its similar with the irons...

Want to hit more fairways? The latest edition of GOLF's RoboTest highlights the importance of driver face angle.

For a driver, 1 degree of clubface open or shut causes 10 yards of left or right. When you think the rate of closure for a golf club, how fast the club face goes from open (top of the golf swing) to square (at impact), 1 degree is a small quantity. 

This means, when you are looking at video of your swing, you can see the exact same swing, but present the clubface in two widely separate positions. More so if you have swing faults. You can make the same backswing, but not get your weight forward well and hit a fat shot. You then react to this, try not to fat it so you thin it. Maybe the timing is off on the extension part of the downswing and you thin it slightly. Also, certain swing movements cause the wrists to flip at impact. The intent is still to hit the ball with the club. So your hands are going to adjust to find the ball. The more they have to adjust, the more difficult it is to repeat.

The golf swing is more of a body swing (in my mind). 

Nope, it is way less mental than physical. If we could all think our way to a better swing, we would all be PGA tour players. 

I just feel defeated in the fact that I need to bend over the ball the same way every time, same knee bend, same swing arc, and hit a small ball with a small, sweet spot.  

#GOLF IS HARD! 

As a beginner, how did you all think through the process to make the swing repeatable?  Much appreciated.

Beginners have repeatable swings, just bad repeatable swing. We all just need to make repeatable better swings. 

On 5/7/2024 at 11:45 AM, collegefbfan said:

Man, that is really deep.  As an old beginner, during a lesson or on the driving range, I have hit a good shot, you know pretty straight and it goes say 130 yards (7 iron).  The very next swing, I dig a ditch behind the ball.  I know I didn't do the same things on both swings

The golf swing is a battle of making movements that allow the club to do good things. You results are from a bad swing that has a wider range of outcomes. Your outcomes are probably the following. Way more thins, fats, skulls than most. You hardly see PGA Tour players fat, skull or thin a shot. 

The first principle of golf is FEEL IS NOT REAL. Meaning, we can feel things in the golf swing, yet it produces results or shows on video as something else. 

4 hours ago, collegefbfan said:

You just set up to the ball. The club has a different length, so you need to adjust. For most your arms extend more out as you have a longer club. You also bend over less for longer clubs. It is just something you get used to. If you make a fist and stick your thumb out. You want that width from the butt end of the club and your belt buckle. Now, if you taller or shorter than most, then you may need to adjust the length of your clubs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Oh I probably was thinking the wrong thing or the wrong way when I typed the golf swing was more of a body swing (in my mind).  The in my mind part probably should have said in my opinion or based on what I have read.  Just meant the body needs to be involved more than the hands and swinging the arms while the core remains still.

5 hours ago, collegefbfan said:

It’s going to change but your basic setup feel should be about the same. Your body kind of adjusts to length and lie angle of the club. You’ll want to pay attention more to ball position as you change clubs more than how bent over you are.

9 minutes ago, collegefbfan said:

Oh I probably was thinking the wrong thing or the wrong way when I typed the golf swing was more of a body swing (in my mind).  The in my mind part probably should have said in my opinion or based on what I have read.  Just meant the body needs to be involved more than the hands and swinging the arms while the core remains still.

I understood what you meant from what your wrote.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

52 minutes ago, collegefbfan said:

Just meant the body needs to be involved more than the hands and swinging the arms while the core remains still.

It depends on what you mean by "while the core remains still"

I wouldn't consider his core "remaining still" here, DJ's abs, belly button, and belt buckle have rotated almost 90 degrees by the top of the backswing. Those components of his core then have to rotate/uncoil on the downswing. Far from remaining still IMO.

image.png

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :titleist: ProV1x Left Dash

Just meant the body needs to be involved more than the hands and swinging the arms while the core remains still.

1. Backswing: Body is responsible for taking the club around. Arms are responsible for making the club go up. 
  2. Downswing: The process is reversed.
  3. Weight Forward

So, your arms need to do stuff. Set up to the ball. Do not raise your arms at all. Rotate your body as you would in the swing. You will notice your hands stay down near your right hip. So, how does the club get up? Your arms raise it up. You can't take your arms out of the swing. What you are describing might be more of a feel, but it also might not be correct.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Yeah.  As far as remaining still, I was thinking body rotates around the spine like an axis.  Instead of pivoting, some like me, sway, come off that axis, leave weight on back foot, etc.  

12 hours ago, collegefbfan said:

Yeah.  As far as remaining still, I was thinking body rotates around the spine like an axis.  Instead of pivoting, some like me, sway, come off that axis, leave weight on back foot, etc.  

Some sway is okay as long as you get your weight going forward during transition and downswing. Your weight will go towards the rear foot in the backswing because your arms and club go that way.

As you get near the top, you should feel your weight start to move forward. As you transition, the weight should move to the front foot and off the rear. As the arms go down from the top, the body starts to rotate or pivot. At impact, most of the weight should be on the front foot.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave