IGNORED

Expensive putters vs. used putters.

Note: This thread is 4411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

About 2 weeks ago I bought a used Odyssey White Hot #1 blade putter for $35. My friend spent $120 on a Ping Scottsdale. We bought ours around the same time, so when we were at the putting green, we switched just to get a feel of how the other person's putter was. After I tried his for about 30 mins, I didn't like it as much as my Odyssey. The putters are very similar in style, and even weight but I still didn't see the $85 difference. Anyone else feel this way about putters? I'm sure some of the better players can feel the difference, but for me, the $35 has done just fine.

I think I paid $9 for my Odyssey DH330 mallet a couple of years ago.  I re-shafted it with a pull from another putter because it was too short.  I just put a new Odyssey Taboo grip on it, and polished the sole for a nice shine.  I can't see me replacing it for a long time, especially considering the prices that putters are commanding.

Putters are one of those things that if you like it and you play well with it, you can't put a price on it.

• Upvote 1

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

Originally Posted by MacGregor9

About 2 weeks ago I bought a used Odyssey White Hot #1 blade putter for $35. My friend spent $120 on a Ping Scottsdale. We bought ours around the same time, so when we were at the putting green, we switched just to get a feel of how the other person's putter was. After I tried his for about 30 mins, I didn't like it as much as my Odyssey. The putters are very similar in style, and even weight but I still didn't see the $85 difference. Anyone else feel this way about putters? I'm sure some of the better players can feel the difference, but for me, the $35 has done just fine.

I am not sure what your point is as the quality of the putters should not be confused with the deal you got because it was used. Both putters purchased new in the year they came out were well over $100 so just because you got a "steal" shouldn't really matter. Now if you were to say you bought a K-Mart putter for $9.99 and preferred it over a $300 Scotty then this would make more sense, but in your example both putters are of high quality so it really comes down to preference and results.

Many people do feel that buying used and getting a substantial price break is the way to go. It is what Ebay is all about. I am all for getting quality at a bargain price! Good score on the Odyssey by the way. It is a solid putter.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

The point is.................those "putters" don't know how much you paid for them! (and maybe not the wife either!)

If it looks right, feels good and the putts go exactly where you want them to,....................then its the best putter you'll ever have.............until the NEXT great putter comes along! LOL

I have several putters in my arsenal. But only two I go to all the time. Ping Craz-E and the old reliable Titleist SC Blade/Acushnet.

Golf is such a personal choice. Especially when it comes to putters. Enjoy your purchase.

Therein you see the wisdom.  Even if you really want a new club, youre smarter to wait a year or 2 and buy a used on off of Ebay or from a local golf shop.  Ive bought most of my clubs used and while they may not be as pretty as they would be if I had bought them new, Ive saved THOUSANDS of dollars buying them used and have been able to try many more clubs and have a much nicer set than I would have if I had always bought new.

Sure, some of my woods have paint nicks and some of my irons/wedges have some scratches or rock chips on the sole but they work just as well as a new club would have and in the case of the woods, I have touched up the paint so that you cant even really see the imperfections unless you look really close at them.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

If you can put with a piece of PVC taped to a stick - go for it.  That old blade looking black putter Gary Player played with for years - he got it at a garage sale.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Wise words indeed. E-Bay has saved ME thousands of dollars as well. Besides, the CLUBS don't know how old they are!

Have a golfing buddy that yesterday shot 38/38=76 on me !

He has a set of old Ping G5 irons. Said he was thinking about a newer set of G15................but why? He didn't have a good answer.

I am using a set of G10 woods and irons. Never hit 'em so good. The idea that the "Latest and Greatest" is better.........is marketing.

Then again...................here's a good tip..............NEVER, and I mean NEVER play for money with an older guy with a mis-matched set of clubs! The bag is torn and old, the clubs are worn, but he will kick your butt around the golf course. I know............I have played that guy many times. LOL

Save your money and buy a better grade of bourbon instead! May not help your game, but you won't care as much!

"Is the fishing lure made to catch fish or fishermen"

I think many putters are trying to catch golfer, the higher the price the more golfer they catch.

In the Bag:

X Driver, 3w & 5w

Ironwood 4 hybrids

Putter: BigT special

Originally Posted by MacGregor9

So, how did your friend like his new Scottsdale?

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Originally Posted by The Tin Man

WAIT A MINUTE!

If nobody buys brand new expensive putters.......how can we score used ones cheap?

I will drink some Knob Creek to that!!!!

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

Note: This thread is 4411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!