IGNORED

Fixing traps that flood

Note: This thread is 4509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here's one for the greenskeepers and golf course builders...

We have a classic, early-1900s course in our area, and it's a nicely maintained public facility. One problem: several of the sand traps fill up with water after a hard rain and don't dry out for a couple of days.

Question: Could these sand bunkers get a quick retrofit with a drain pipe, or would installing a drainage system require a complete rebuild of the bunker?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I found this, and it seems that putting drainage in the bunkers requires a pretty extensive setup and a lot of work.......

http://www.usga.org/course_care/course_construction/case_studies/bunker_renovation1/Bunker-Renovation-Case-Study-No--1/

• Upvote 1

Bullitt,

Good find! Helps explain what I saw at another course that has rebuilt two holes. The crew is installing the greenside bunker on No. 9 now, and is evidently at the Gravel Blanket stage (photo 4). I was a bit confused when I saw the gravel, but now I understand that a cloth layer will will follow later.

Both holes had trouble with the greens staying alive because too many volunteer trees (grew up by accident) had surrounded the greens and prevented sunlight and proper air movement. Fungus hit hard two years in a row. Lots of lumberjack action on both holes cutting down excess trees.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!