IGNORED

How should I practice to improve?

sgibs
Note: This thread is 4291 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I read the article/post about 65/25/10 and I really like that approach. I can get out each morning and work on those specifics.

My question is what should I be practicing on each? Putting wise I'm currently playing 2 games. One where I surround the hole with 10 balls 3ft apart and just look to sink 90% of those putts over 100 putts. Then I play a 10ft gm where i place two balls 10 ft apart and I try and make 2 putts to hit the ball.

Im taking lessons right now at Golf Town USA here in Boston, MA but not sure what to work on for the 65 and hte 25

thanks for the help

Driver: 9.5 Stage 2 stiff
3 Wood: 15 Stage 2 stiff

2I: MP-H4 regular
3-4H: Taylor Made Super Launch regular
5-PW: Burners regular
56 CG16 Black Pearl

60 Taylormade RAC
Putter: Ghost White Hot 35"

One thing my Instructor told me that has helped me as well. When you are on the driving range. Hit a ball and then take a step beck. Aim every shot at something, like you are on the course. This has helped me get into a routine for each shot on the course, and my shots are more consistent now.

As far as what you should be working on with the percentages, that's a perfect question for your Instructor, since you have one.

Originally Posted by Tuflehundon

One thing my Instructor told me that has helped me as well. When you are on the driving range. Hit a ball and then take a step beck. Aim every shot at something, like you are on the course. This has helped me get into a routine for each shot on the course, and my shots are more consistent now.

As far as what you should be working on with the percentages, that's a perfect question for your Instructor, since you have one.

thanks man appreciate it.

I know what I'm supposed to work on from my instructor (jeff) which is working on my back swing from my takeaway. Im standing next to a wall trying not to hit it.

Problem is when i get to the range I cant put it all together. ill hit the ball but with no power bc Im thinking on so many things.

My biggest issue overall is NOT using my hips at all. its like I have none - I dont use them or something.

baby steps.

56 CG16 Black Pearl

60 Taylormade RAC

About to hit the course for 9 holes. I'm trying to work on staying calm and hitting solid shots today. Playing with a friend so that should help slow me down.

Also trying to incorporate this APP - iPerformance Psychology

The APP is supposed to be a mental coach for you preperation with tasks to work on at home. So far so good - lets see how it works today. Look to shoot a 48-50 today.

#LETSGO

56 CG16 Black Pearl

60 Taylormade RAC

I hate to say it but I NEVER practice putting. Its just boring to me. Fortunately I have a good feel for it and while I could improve, I am happy with my results right now.

Range wise, I like to alternate between long and short clubs so I can get comfortable with the transitions. If you hit wedge, wedge, wedge, 9, 8 etc you will get in a groove with each one but on the course you don't get to do that. So I go something like 8, 5, 9, 4, P, 6, GW, 3W, LW, 5W, SW, D and just hit 3-4 shots per club.

That's not to say that you don't need to focus on one or two clubs sometimes and get them dialed in. I do this with Wedges and Driver a lot and pick a different club each session to spend extra time on.

Finally you need to play some. 9 or 6 holes is perfect. I like to go and hit on the range for 15 minutes and then walk over and play 9 holes, maybe 6 if its late or hot (course has a perfect spot to jump from 3 to 7). Tough on public course I know. This is probably the biggest benefit I get from my club membership.

Of course it all depends on where you are with your game. OP is a 20 so I would say you have plenty to work out on the range. Once you get down to low teens (at least in my experience) there are more improvements to be made on the course itself. Course Mgmt, confidence and just the general progression of a hole from tee to green (carrying that water hazard for example).

I practice about 1 and 1/2 hour every day after work and this is my routine.  Take from it what you will, it has worked for me so far.

Driving Range - About 75 balls (40-50 minutes)

• Order: SW, PW, 7i, 4i, 9i, 6i, 3i, 8i, 5i, 4w, 54degrees, Driver, LW (58degress)
  • Method: For the first 5 or so shots, i'll lay down alignment sticks for the path of my club to follow on the takeaway and follow-through. After that, i'll take away the alignment sticks, stand back and pick a target for every shot.

Chipping - (20 minutes)

• Order: SW, LW, PW, 8i
  • Method : I take a hoola-hoop that has about a 3ft radius and i'll place it around a flagstick on the chipping green, and just chip from different areas with the goal in mind to get the ball inside of the hoola-hoop. I try to work with as many slopes as possible and use more realistic spots rather than just place them just outside of the fringe.

Putting (w/ some chipping) - (10-20 minutes)

• Method: I'll start off by hitting about 15 putts from 3feet using alignment sticks as railroad tracks to keep my putter square through the entire stroke. Then i'll do lag putting from 20-40 feet with the goal in mind to two-putt all of them.  Afterwards i'll take 5 balls, my sand-wedge and try to get up and down with all 5 of them, and usually I won't leave until I get all of them up and down.

The most important thing for me is to try to make a game out of every drill.  Maybe make point values or something and try to beat my personal record. Hope this helps!

Note: This thread is 4291 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!