IGNORED

A Monterey local's take

Note: This thread is 6184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all:
I live in beautiful Salinas, CA, about a 20 minute drive to Monterey.

I would say if you come to the area, forget pebble beach. You have to play Pacific Grove Municipal. The back 9 are designed by the same designer as PB, and are right on the ocean like PB. Locally we call it "poor mans pebble beach". It's about $35 for a tee time during peak hours. You're going to need to reserve it in advance during summer.As a crow flies you're looking at maybe a physical mile between those two courses.

The courses I play regularly are:
Twin Creeks, Salinas: The base of First Tee in Monterey, a good course very family friendly, and only 9 bucks to play all 9 after 5.

Monterey pines, Monterey: Navy golf. This is located off base right at the end of the airport runway. It's a good course but they could take MUCH better care of it. $17 for 18 after 3 pm is hard to beat in Monterey

Pajaro Valley Golf Club: This I believe is soon to become my home golf course. A beautiful setting, landscape in perfect condition, and the generous sundown time, makes for a $20 - 8 hole game. I fell in love with this course tonight, it isn't to be missed.

I stay away from everything else thus far. Salinas Fairways, Spring Hills, San Jose Muni, Delaveaga are all on my list to play.

In my Matrix XTT bag,
on my Sun Mountain Speed Cart
LD M-Speed 10.5* Driver
V18 full set of starter clubs
3W, 3iw, 4iw, 5-S Irons and Wedges Kirk Currie KC4 PutterHome Course:Pajaro Valley Golf Clubwww.pajarovalleygolf.com

• 2 weeks later...
A few years ago, a friend of mine was working in Monterey and I went out to visit him. His boss had some kind of playing card and we played Spanish Bay for "only" $95 each. That course was flat beautiful, nicest I've ever stepped foot on to date.

Two days later, we had the bug to play again but couldn't foot the $95 again, so we played PGM. $11 for a twilight round, with lush grass, good conditions, views of the ocean, and even a few deer spectating about 15 feet from a couple greens. That bang-for-your-buck will never be matched again!

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

• 2 weeks later...
There is definitely lots of good golf here, on the cheap. I would personally not waste my money on a pebble beach co course, instead i'd play every other course in the area.

In my Matrix XTT bag,
on my Sun Mountain Speed Cart
LD M-Speed 10.5* Driver
V18 full set of starter clubs
3W, 3iw, 4iw, 5-S Irons and Wedges Kirk Currie KC4 PutterHome Course:Pajaro Valley Golf Clubwww.pajarovalleygolf.com

• 2 weeks later...
wow, today i played pacific grove muni, as i was deciding between playing that or poppy hills. i decided to go with what i have heard about pacific grove- it is similar to all the other courses in the area, but for a lot cheaper. all i can say is that i loved it, the back nine is the most amazing golf i have every played. i shot a 40 on the back nine, and i am still stoked from how much fun i had. im hoping to go back soon, and i definetely agree with jmhunter

In The Bag...

Driver: SQ Sumo 10.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto
3 Wood: Burner
Hybrid: SQ 18*Irons(3-PW): 755 w/ Dynamic Gold S30052.08*: Vokey Oil Can56.14*: Vokey Spin MilledPutter: Newport 2Ball: pro v1xShoes: Footjoy Athletics

Note: This thread is 6184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!