IGNORED

Balata and Persimmon

iacas
Note: This thread is 6064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Did you play golf seriously in the age of balata and persimmon?

• Yes
    • No

I started golf my freshman year of high school in 1973. Wow ! That's a while back. My first set was a Northwestern Chi Chi Rodriquez set from K-Mart. I had two woods, 3,5,7,9 iron and putter. I had to learn how to knock down shots or swing a little harder because of the gap in the clubs. But at the same time I learned how to shoot in the 70's with those clubs by my sophmore year.
I eventually got a Toney Penna persimmon driver. I loved that club. In fact, I hit it for a long time after metal clubs had come out. I still have a number of persimmon drivers that I keep. For me, you couldn't beat the beauty of some of the old persimmon drivers.
As far as the ball I played it seemed like I played whatever I could find. Titleist was the big ball, but I remember playing Wilsons, Club Special, Blue Max, and even the old small Dunlop ball.
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

Started playing golf in 92. Bought a set of Karsten PING ZING blondies 1/3/5 which i still have and yes played with balatas.
HiBore XL Tour 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 652 Tour Spec X-Flex
HiBore 15* FW Aldila 70-S "Proto By You"
Hibore 2i Aldila 80-S "Proto By you"
MP-67 3-pw *Project X 6.0
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

I, like most of the above had inherrited my farthers permission woods. I have since purchase my own gear. My farther is someone who couldnt through anything away so I now have about 6-8 permission woods. I have a 2 or 3 drivers, a ping 2. A couple of megregors as well. I think I have MG 3, 4, and 5 wood. I also have a Titliest driver that is a dark wood like cherry or mohogoney that is really cool looking. They stay in the basement. I actually have a huge bucket or balls and there are alot of tour porfessionals or balata tours in there. When I go to play practice rounds I reach in there and grab a couple and play whatever i get. I think I have a balata in my bag right now from the last time. Thank dad

In the bag:

Burner 10.5
Rescue mid 16, 19, 22, 25
X-16 irons Forged+ Vintage 48, 54, 60 Circa 62 #3 A009125

Played balatas in high school golf, but never carried a persimmon. My dad had them, though, so I've hit em a few times.
The best feeling in golf is a long walk with a putter - Greg Norman

In my Atlas Bag
FT-3 9° - Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 63S
X-Tour 3 Wood 15° - TT Stiff MP-60 Irons 3-PW - DGS300 2 Up MP-T 51° 56°(10)/60°(4) Vokey SM Oil Can Studio Style Newport 2 V1xHome Course Bear Slide

I just traded my Persimmon on a Cobra this spring!
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

My first set of clubs was a Christmas present my sophomore year of high school: 1966. A "Sam Snead Blue Ridge" Driver, 3 Wood, 3-5-7-9-P; still have the irons.

I think mine were the first Snead woods that didn't have screws on the clubface [ever wonder where the phrase "hitting it on the screws" came from?], and the irons have leather wrap "Reminder" grips. Boy, do those clubfaces look tiny today.

So, yes... I recall persimmon and balata very well, and I remember lots of smiley-faced golf balls and switching to Surlyn the earliest chance I got.

"Upgraded" to a complete 1W-3W-5W, 3-PW Blue Ridge set in the summer of 1979... used that set until 2003 when I finally joined the modern era.

In my bag:

Driver Cleveland Classic 310 Tour 10.5°  Miyazaki Kusala 61 Black Reg
Fairway Wood Cleveland Launcher FL 3/15° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg
Hybrids Cleveland Mashie 3/20.5° & 4/23° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg

Irons Wilson Ci9 5-6-7-8-9-PW-GW FST ss105 Reg 

Wedges Vokey SM 56.14

Putter GEL Ruby 34"

Balls Callaway HX Bite, Wilson Staff FG Tour

I played once in awhile during the 80's, but not too seriously. I did have a McGregor persimmon driver to go with my Spaulding Executive irons

My first metal woods were a silver TM Burner Driver and a TM Tour Spoon. I used to love that Spoon.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

Note: This thread is 6064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!