IGNORED

Should PW match your iron set

floridagramps
Note: This thread is 3958 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgeshot

The PW with most sets now could really be considered a 10-iron. In fact Callaway had a set one year with a 10-iron & PW. The fact is over time the club manufactures have slow increases the loft of all the clubs in a set of irons. Your PW today (likely 45°-47°) is the 9-iron if yesteryear. That's why the GW (typically 50°-53°) was created and it really is the PW of the past. Great article on "loft creep" located here that explains in detail: http://www.leaderboard.com/GLOSSARY_DISTANCETABLE

I carry the an Adams driver, 4-wood (16°), 7-wood (24°) and TA-5s: 5-iron (27°) through PW (45°) & then a wedge set up Cleveland 588s: 51°,57°, 64°. This works for me and probably a lot of others. You are best off if you know your lofts of each club and your average distance with each one. I would not worry too much about matching everything up as long as you are comfortable with your set up and have all your shots covered.

Happy golfing!

I agree, I don't think of my PW as a wedge, at least not in terms of how I use it. I hit it full swing just as if it was a 9i. If I want to hit any kind of touchy, feel-y wedge type shots I will typically use my 56* or 60*. I also have a 52* but never use it as the swing weight is WAY lighter than my other wedges and I tend to hit it thin as a consequence. Gotta get me some lead tape.

This is why I bought the 51° GW that matches my AP-2 Irons.  After playing with them for a while I liked them so well that I figured that I should match all of the full swing irons, which included my GW.  I passed the 52° Vokey to the unused club pile and never looked back.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I have a separate PW because I like that it gets me in the "scoring" mindset.

It doesn't look like my 5-iron.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

I have a separate PW because I like that it gets me in the "scoring" mindset.

It doesn't look like my 5-iron.

That's a new thought I hadn't considered, but sorta like it!

I didn't notice if the OP ever stated what he decided (this thread seems to have gained new life recently), but I too got a set of G20's in about the same time frame.  I got a full set of wedges, PW/45, GW/50, SW/54, and LW/58.  I'm pretty happy with them at this point to tell the truth.  The LW is my go-to club for most close shots, including green side bunkers since it has the same bounce as the SW.  This leaves the SW being mostly a second gap wedge really.  I also use the PW for chip shots I want longer rollout on.  I've been toying with a different wedge mix, particularly with regard to bounce on the SW and LW.  I'd probably keep the PW and GW since they are basically full-swing clubs anyway.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

EJ the bounce on the 588 wedges 51°/6 57°/10 64°/8 I originally bought the 64° to get out of some very deep green-side bunkers at one of my local courses. I found that I can really pull off some amazing flop shots with it and yes it does take commitment to hit full from 10 yards in the heavy fluff. But it does work producing high and soft and dead stop when struck correctly.

Driver: Adams TightLies Titanium High Launch Max COR (10.5°) R Flex Graphite SuperShaft Lightweight Mid Kickpoint, GolfPride Multicompound Grip

Fairway Wood: Ping G20 4-Wood (16.5°), R Flex Ping TFC 169F Shaft, Ping ID8 Grip | Hybrid: Ping G25 (23°), Ping TFC 189H Shaft, GolfPride Tour Velvet Grip

Irons: Cleveland TA-5 Gunmetal R Flex True Temper Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Black Grips: 5-I (27°) 6-I (30°), 7-I (33.5°), 8-I (37°), 9-I (41°), PW (45°)

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action REG 588 Gunmetal Dynamic Gold Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Red Grips: 51°/6, 57°/10, LW 64°/8

Putter: Carbite Polar Balanced DC, Tiger Shark Oversized Grip 31"

Note: This thread is 3958 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!