Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blitz28179

I played 9 holes today and tried this and had good results

7 posts in this topic

The last 2 weeks in my area the weather has been bad.Today was the best day we had in awhile so I decided to go play 9 holes by myself(practice session).The golf channel has been playing reruns of final rounds from the PGA tour in the last week and watching roy mcelroy's swing I noticed he leans over the ball at the top of his backswing.His head moves closer to ball as he taking his backswing, almost like hes putting his weight on the front balls of his feet.So today I decided to try this and stiffed about 3 approach shots within 10 feet, one was about 6 feet! Normally I average 5-6 greens in regulation per 18 holes.I hit 5 greens out of 9(with 3 within 10 ft) which is VERY good for me.I also tried this with my driver and didnt have as good results like I did with my irons.Thought I would share this with you guys.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Its common for good golfers to lower their head in the backswing and downswing. Although I'm not sure it should be a conscious move unless you have the tendency to lift your head. They lower their head because they are loading into the ground so to speak.

Originally Posted by shortstop20

Its common for good golfers to lower their head in the backswing and downswing.

Although I'm not sure it should be a conscious move unless you have the tendency to lift your head.

They lower their head because they are loading into the ground so to speak.

Agree on the downswing. Not so much during the backswing, typically. The rest is all good IMO. :)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My understanding is that as the hips slide forward and your head stays back your head will move lower without any deliberate effort to move your head towards the ball.

Last night I was reading a old golf digest magaizine I had laying around and found this article.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2011-12/sean-foley-power

This is the reason why tiger and mcelroy lower thier heads so i thought I would dig this old thread I started in september.

Quote:

If you were to maintain your posture, it would be impossible to get to the ideal low point of your swing, four or five inches in front of the ball.

I think this explains why I have a bad habit of chunking approach shots(Probaly my most hated tendancy I do).Gonna really try to get the feeling of squashing a banana with front foot with some practice range sessions.

Originally Posted by Blitz28179

Last night I was reading a old golf digest magaizine I had laying around and found this article.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2011-12/sean-foley-power

This is the reason why tiger and mcelroy lower thier heads so i thought I would dig this old thread I started in september.

Quote:

I think this explains why I have a bad habit of chunking approach shots(Probaly my most hated tendancy I do).Gonna really try to get the feeling of squashing a banana with front foot with some practice range sessions.

great article. sean foley has a lot of good points, if you can get through all the unnecessarily "smart" words. rory is probably the most extreme form of squatting i've seen... i think the squat that gets the head down is a result of keep the hips from going humping the goat (towards the ball), trailing leg not straightening and the hips going forward. shouldn't think about the head going down, but it should happen because of a good swing

The moving down should be a reaction or effect of your swing. Head moves down because your posture squats. IMO

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades