IGNORED

Increased lag = More open clubface at impact?

Note: This thread is 4093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

All other things being equal, will increasing ones lag open the clubface at impact?

After seeing my swing on vid a few months ago, I was appalled at how I lost virtually all lag at impact (my right arm and right wrist were fully straightened).  Since then, I've worked into a net to try to improve in this area.

My goal #1 was to try to get my right elbow to feel like it is leading the hands into the hitting area.  Goal #2 was to maintain my right wrist cock into the hit with a flat left wrist (I've found that Goal #1 really helps to achieve Goal #2).

Anyway, it was 60+ degrees in Indiana today, so I played a few holes.  Early on, it was really ugly.  Everything I hit was a slice.  Before I started trying to make these changes, my normal ballflight was a slight draw.

After a few holes of this, I strengthened my grip.  For many years, I've used a very weak grip (think Hogan's 5 Lessons...).  I only played a few holes with a stronger grip, but it made my ball flight much, much better.

In thinking about it tonight and doing some slo mo swings with the mirror, a stronger grip or a supination of the left wrist were the only 2 things that seemed to square the face.

Also, is it a bad thing to us a stronger grip to square the clubface as opposed to better "educating" my hands for a change like this?

• Administrator

Yes.

It's much easier to roll your forearm when the wrist is uncocked. Otherwise you're rolling the clubhead around your forearm.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I reckon building lag is like kissing a girl with a cold sore.....Kinda nice at the time but annoying for years afterwards.

Anyway......lag, yep well, you're asking your wrist to do an awful lot in a short space of time. Basically the wrist is going from a cocked right  angle with the club horizontal to a straight wrist, with a forearm turn in one third of a downswing.

I reckon grip strengthening is a way to try to help the wrist get to square.

But I'm very anti wrist....

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by logman

I reckon building lag is like kissing a girl with a cold sore.....Kinda nice at the time but annoying for years afterwards.

That's the best you've got?

Originally Posted by logman

Anyway......lag, yep well, you're asking your wrist to do an awful lot in a short space of time. Basically the wrist is going from a cocked right  angle with the club horizontal to a straight wrist, with a forearm turn in one third of a downswing.

And yet virtually everyone manages to do it to varying degrees of success.

I reckon grip strengthening is a way to try to help the wrist get to square.

Sometimes (if you mean turning them clockwise for a righty). Almost never if you mean actually making the wrists "stronger."

But I'm very anti wrist....

If you believe you don't use your wrists at all, you're wrong (or you don't hit the ball out of your shadow, so to speak).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!