IGNORED

Wedge recommendations please

Note: This thread is 4092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Pblock45

Cleveland makes some great wedges i love them when hitting approach shots its weird but i think i might like cast better when working around greens. I really like usuing a 56 or 54 and just hitting different chips. Tour acting 900 forged or cast? IM going to look it up. Ebay research. Keep the comments coming the seach is on especially when in its 0 degress here in south dakota and we have 6 inches of snow. Oh how i miss orlando. Anyways keep them comeing

I feel you on the weather I live here in west Michigan and its rainy then snowing then freezing lol. But as for the Cast vs Forged I know that is very personal based on feel but being if have played both alot the last 3 years the only time I really notice the difference in feel between the two is on short chips and pitches, which i actually prefer forged on feeling. I have played these, in this order: SV Tours, Cleveland CG14s, Vokey SM3, Ping Ansers, Scratch 1018s D/S, Scratch Forged S/S, Bridgestone J40s, and Cleveland 588 RTX CBs. The J40s come with stock DG spinner shafts which is a plus over the standard DG wedge shaft.I would give scratch wedges a look, the 1018s (forged) are great and they also have a nice cast in the 8620 wedge.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I never even thought about scratch golf I will give them a look for sure, for some reason im really interested in the j40s they are really sharp looking wow. I think i will find out the weight if theres a way to do that and start comparing those with 588 and scratch. thanks for the post.

How is the sole on the j40s Thin, thick, any grind that makes them special? Same on the scratch anyone? And wow thats alot of wedges you have gone through!

Sorry for all the Post but the great wedge hunt continues. I went on the scratch golf site and really liked what they had for wedges the 1018 and the 8620 are great looking. I saw they have a sweeper/slider, driver/slider, and digger/driver style. could someone elaborate on all these grinds in both styles and what they compare to.

The J40s are a D4 swing weight and the Cleveland's are D6 so the J40s are lighter which is what you are looking for. You will find the sole to be about the same as your 588s. I don't think Bridgestone did anything different with the sole as any other company. They say they have a variable bounce so it lowers the bounce on the heel and toe of the club. The only downfall I see in the J40s is the one bounce option, all their wedges float around 10-11* bounce, which is a nice mid bounce but not for everyone. As for the Scratch you have 3 different grinds to chose from depending on your swing style, S/S (low bounce) for the sweeper/slider (picker), D/S (mid bounce) for driver/slider, or D/D (high bounce) for the Driver/Digger. Hope it all helps.

That is a great post and exactly what i wanted i just didnt know how to put it. I was more of a sweeper with the nikes so i think im more of a s/s when it comes to chipping. I am going to call scratch they seem like a really solid wedge plus there a american company if im not mistaken and i will gladly pay more for that. After a little research i will get back to you guys and let you know what i go with. Thanks for the post. If anyone has a perspective please share jspangler great wedge advise.

That is a great post and exactly what i wanted i just didnt know how to put it. I was more of a sweeper with the nikes so i think im more of a s/s when it comes to chipping. I am going to call scratch they seem like a really solid wedge plus there a american company if im not mistaken and i will gladly pay more for that. After a little research i will get back to you guys and let you know what i go with. Thanks for the post. If anyone has a perspective please share jspangler great wedge advise.

I'm glad I could help. Yes scratch is an American Company. Chattanogga,TN is where they are based out of and all their custom work is done in house. I also like to support an american company. Seemore Putters is also another great company to support. I have never worked with a customer service department better than theirs.

yea i seen that on your picture there ill give them a lookup. I am such a golf club addict but i could think of worse things to spend my moola on.Are these the putters zack Johnson plays? I am really happy with my 2 ball it really helped me stop leaving puts short.What kind of bounce would somone be playing out of the sand? or does it even matter ?

Ya that's what z.johnson puts with. They have alot of mallet putters and their putters are hot, I doubt you leave many putts short. But it's no big deal. As for the bounce in sand, traditionally they say go with a high bounce but IMO I don't see needing more than 10* on any of your wedges especially if your fairways get really firm in the summer the bounce can be a hinder, once again that's my opinion.

I just got off the phone with paul friedrich at scratch who is the vice president of scratch golf i was really surprised usually it would be customer service rep who has stamped out answers for everyone. He sent me a email with like 20 questions everything from old wedges to how i play out of the sand and from 40 yrds in. Man they have there sh**t together there at scratch golf. He said he could deck anything out for more in my specs so i think im gonna fill this sucker out and see what they can do for me. I will keep everyone updated maybe this will help somone with there wedge selection. Thanks for replys im pretty sure Im playing a higher bounce on my on my 58 which i do like out of the sand. I would say they get very firm here in south dakota. I have always given bounce on wedges very little attention but now i think i need some education could have saved me some money.

I have a Scratch 8620 58* D/D and absolutely love it.  I just ordered the matching 53* bent 1* weak and the 50*, they should be here soon.  I have to custom order mine because of my specs, but if you're a standard wedge player, you can get the 2010 8620 for $70 from rockbottomgolf.

And I play the SeeMore FGP Mallet, and can't imagine why I'd ever buy a different putter unless this one comes up missing somehow.

I am really looking at the 8620 probally 2 upright we will see though, sense you have some knowlege on these wedges how do they compare to a forged wedge as far as weight ? Any comparison would be nice. oh and why wouldnt you just get a 56 ? i have always wanted to ask people that im just wondering, That is a great deal wow , how do your d/d play from around greens and tight lies ?

pblock

I play Ping Tour SS 50, 54, 58, I have really good luck with them. i like the look and feel but my son plays Vokey 52 and 56 and he loves them.

Go try a few they do have differant feeling to them and weight.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

I am really looking at the 8620 probally 2 upright we will see though, sense you have some knowlege on these wedges how do they compare to a forged wedge as far as weight ? Any comparison would be nice. oh and why wouldnt you just get a 56 ? i have always wanted to ask people that im just wondering, That is a great deal wow , how do your d/d play from around greens and tight lies ?

pblock

I have a set of Forged Mizuno T-10's that I used to game with less bounce, same lofts.  The feel is completely different between the two, to be honest.  With the additional bounce, at first I would think I hit a poor shot and looked up expecting to see a , mess, and the ball was flying nice and high and straight to the pin.  The real difference is in the sound, with the forged wedges on soft shots you hear nothing, with the 8620's you get an audible click.  After a couple rounds, I didn't even notice anymore, because there was no comparison in performance.  While they advertise the ABC Grooves (all bite/no chew), they will eat the cover on a ball when they're new.  They've also go the milled face like the Vokeys.   The face is also smaller than comparable cast wedges like the Vokeys and Clevelands.

Why a 54/58 setup instead of a 56?  I have a set of Cleveland CG14's in 50/56/60 and to be honest, the 58 is much more versatile than the 60.  I can use it from a lot more places on the course and play more shots with it.  It had more benefits than the 60 for me, without the drawbacks people usually have with a 60.  That left a gap from my PW, which is 47*.  I divided the gap up and ended up with 54/50 to compliment it and leave me fewer gaps.  Typically, I play the 50 as an 11 iron, and only use it for full shots from about 115 yards.  Full shot for the 54 is usually 105 yards and I end up with 90 yards and in with the 58, unless the shot calls for me to get creative.

That click is exactly what im looking for those nikes had that i do  not like the duel sound of forged around the green. You sold me right there scratch golf it is. I would  go try a bunch but that is virtually impossible in south Dakota.I went with a 54 because i though it would keep it even between a 50* and 58* i found myself loving the 58 and hating the 56 thus why im on the quest for a new wedge. so the new set will be 46,50 clevelands with the new 56,58 scratch if i dont find somthing else. how does that look that 58 is just perfect for me out of bunkers i love it.  Now when you bought those scratch wedges were you able to change the lie at a local shop. i would prefer them 2 upright and if i buy them through rock bottom golf i will need to have them bent. so what im asking is will they bend 2 degrees upright? from experiance? Also was is a pricy endevor to have scratch send out a custom wedge ?

I have new Cleveland wedge with rotex grooves coming for testing, it is the 588 rtx. Will let you know when testing is done.

In my  stand bag

:titleist:910d2 8.5*

speedline fast 12 3w 

910h 17* 

:titleist: 712 cb/mb 3-p

:mizuno: MP-T4 56* 60*

:nike: method 001 

:srixon: tour yellow z star xv 

I ordered mine straight from scratch, because mine have to be 1" short and 2* upright as well.  I was worried that buying them from rockbottom and then having them done at a local place could cause some problems.  They're cast, so a lot of places don't want to bend a cast club that much.  Also being 1" shorter, I worry about swingweight in my wedges, so having them done at the factory allowed me to ensure that they were 1" short, perfect 2* upright with no problems and they put the grip that I wanted on them along with my initials stamped in them and custom color paint fill.  So while I'm nowhere close to a Pro, I can feel like a pro whenever I have a wedge in my hand. (at least up until the swing)  I think my total was around $125 a wedge in the 8620's fully customized to my specs.  That's not far off what an off the rack Vokey costs, and I happen to like my Scratch wedge more than a Vokey, so it's a win/win for me to custom order them.

Note: This thread is 4092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!