IGNORED

Should I buy a wedge?

kvuo
Note: This thread is 4096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

alright, I've been playing since may, shooting 110 or so..

I was fitted with this set of taylormade burner plus irons when I started.. which are 4-9, PW, AW(GW?). What degree loft is the AW?  taylormade's site doesn't have any info, but from what I can gather, it's probably 50 or 52?

Would I benefit from getting some higher lofted wedge?  (I only recently started experimenting with opening the face of the AW for more loft  for little flops and such with mediocre results.. full swing with it is right at 100 yds)

my main playing partner/teacher insists "you need a sand wedge!" -- but her equipment is 10+ yrs old, and I dont even think they sell "sand wedges" anymore do they? and if they do, what is the loft on one?

I think you should get a higher lofted wedge. Maybe a 56. Practice with it, and it should open up quite a few more options for you around the green.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here is a link with all of the lofts providing that is the club you are referring to.

http://www.taylormadegolf.asia/vn/burner-09-specifications.php

Sand wedges generally come in lofts from 54-58 degrees and what separates them from other 'wedges" is that they tend to have more bounce - 10 degrees and up. Do a search on wedge bounce on TST, there have been some great threads with a ton of information on what bounce is and what it will do for your game.

Whether you need one or not is up to you. If you are having problems opening up the AW/GW then maybe you would benefit from a higher lofted wedge, but it is also important to understand that if you do not practice your short game, a higher lofted wedge will not help.

Wedges "usually" come in lofts with 4* of separation. I know the "standard" lofts to be Pitching = 48*, Approach or Gap Wedge = 52*, Sand 56*, Lob 60*.  These lofts can vary. You have a PW and AW. You do need a Sand Wedge for just that, getting out of the sand. Sand Wedges usually have a larger Bounce to help prevent the wedge from digging into the sand. I find the SW usefull for hitting chip shots around the green as well, others may use their Approach wedge, or a Lob wedge. You may want to hold off on a Lob wedge as they are a little tricky to hit and take a lot of practice. Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

Do you have space in your yard to practice with a wedge? I can hit up to 80 yards from the corner of my front yard to the far corner of my back yard. Many days in the summer I grab my 60 degree wedge and hit different shots. I experiment with different trajectories and distances. Because of this type of practice, on the course I feel very comfortable using my 60 for just about any type of shot around the green.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I would have swore I posted this myself if it weren't for the fact I apparently have more yard! LOL I practice with my 60 in my front yard quite often..

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

I play four different wedges all four do not come in any kind of a set. For me i am dead on with all of these with a 20 yard space thats why i play all these wedges i think its more important to be able to get more surgical as you get to the hole, hense why there called scoring clubs. I dont feel its important to have a ton of hybrids and woods i only have one of both so i can have alot of wedges. The goal is to get the ball in the hole we all know that so why not make it easier as you get closer. Just my opinion though im the only one of my buddies that has so many wedges but its part of my game i like to play the most.If i where you id throw out some top of the bag clubs for wedges. Everyone has there own opinion but you will probally hit more wedge shots than shots using a 3 wood from 200+. Hope this helps this is just in my opinion eveyone has one some good stuff posted so far Agree with the 56 and a 60 they are both more user friendly than say a 54-58 but you have to start somwhere i like my 50* for 105 yard shots right on the money. I just posted a forum about me swapping out my wedges. I hightly recommend scratch golf. American made And they can costomize anything you want for a stock price.

Note: This thread is 4096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!