IGNORED

First new post functionality

Note: This thread is 6139 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I like to get on the forum and read threads using the "Go to First New Post" functionality.

But, it seems like if someone posts something new in any topic while I'm reading it wipes out remembering when I last logged in. So, things that are new to me no longer show up as new.

Anyone else have this problem?

Anything I can set in my User CP or anything to stop this from happening?

Thanks

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

• Administrator
I like to get on the forum and read threads using the "Go to First New Post" functionality.

It's not "since you last logged in." It's updated by the minute and it's from the time of your last action: responding, clicking a new thread, visiting your user control panel... anything that the site registers as "action" and more than a minute ago wipes out all "new" stuff.

I think that's what you're asking - and it doesn't have anything to do with whether someone posts something something new. "New," again, has to do with your last "action" on the site, not your last login.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

OK, yeah, I think you answered my question. So that makes sense, but it still does not function as I would expect and as other forums I visit function.

On the other forums, it actually knows what you've read and what you haven't read. So, you can read a thread, post in that thread (as you describe, this would be an action that wipes out what is "new"), and then when you get back to the list of topics it still knows what is new to you, i.e. what threads and posts you haven't read yet.

Does that make sense? Doesn't it bug you when you get back from playing a round, you can see the ~10 threads with new posts, you read a couple, and then all of a sudden nothing is marked as "new" anymore? -Thanks, WSF

5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

• Administrator
OK, yeah, I think you answered my question. So that makes sense, but it still does not function as I would expect and as other forums I visit function.

vBulletin is one of the most widely used pieces of forum software in the world. There's phpBB (which works the same) and Invision (which works the same). Very few work differently, and less than half of the others monitor individual "read status" - doing so would result in massive amounts of data being stored. We have thousands of threads, hundreds of thousands of posts, and thousands of users. Storing each read status for each user would be HUGE.

Does that make sense? Doesn't it bug you when you get back from playing a round, you can see the ~10 threads with new posts, you read a couple, and then all of a sudden nothing is marked as "new" anymore? -Thanks, WSF

No. I open all the unread threads - sometimes three or four pages of threads - immediately. I don't miss anything. I have an AppleScript to do it automatically for me, in fact. I don't "read a couple" - I open them all as soon as I load up the "getnew" URL.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Actually, two of the ones I use are vBulletin ( http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...n/index.php?s= ) / ( http://www.broncosfreak.com/forum/ ) The other one uses Invision ( www.brewboard.com ). I'm positive these work as I described. There are a couple others that use phpBB, and it's "new post" functionality doesn't seem to work as well.

Edit - one other thing to add. The functionality on those other sites works as I described "within a given session". I.e. if I log on, close my browser, and then log back on - all of the info. on what is new resets. But, "within a given session" it does remember what is new and what is not regardless of what other "actions" I have performed.

• Administrator
Actually, two of the ones I use are vBulletin (

I'm not getting into a fight with you over this, but no, I don't think that's right. We have the same version of vBulletin and there's no control to change that specific functionality.

Note: This thread is 6139 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!