IGNORED

Golfsmith

rmgr
Note: This thread is 6130 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do any of you go to Golfsmith stores? I'm not talking about the online store but like in person. That store is so good, at least the one in Atlanta is. I got to try every driver, iron, putter, hybrid and everything I wanted for free, and for as long as I wanted. The best thing was that the part of the store where they have the net is really far back into the store so none was watching or annoying me so I was there for a while just testing everything out.

In my Essex Stand Bag:
3 Wood: F/Speed - Aldila S Graphite Shaft
Hybrid: Halo 3i 22° - R Graphite Shaft
Wedges: Glass Bead - Lob Wedge - 60°Putter: Tour Collection MX400 (LOVE IT!)Ball: HX-Tour 56 - Pro-V1XHome Courses: Stone Mountain Golf Course (73.5/134)

Yes it is a nice store (atlanta)... I really like the PGA Tour Store but the crowds in there are rediculious. It seems like any time I want to try out a club or two there are people two deep waiting to hit. That is when I head over to Golfsmith and no one is in there. I just wonder if it will be able to make it with the PGA Store doing so well.

They just opened one recently near my work, so I sometimes stop there on my way home. It really is a nice store, and I get to go when it's rarely crowded. You're right - being able to swing the latest clubs without any sales pressure is a nice bonus.

I don't actually BUY clubs from them, since I want a more thorough fitting than they can provide. But I appreciate that they let customers do that. They run some good sales, as well as send out internet coupons and such, so I do purchase balls and knick-knacks from them now.

Tom

Bag It:

3-Wood Wishon 525 F/D, 13*, Matrix Studio 65gm, Golf Pride Dual Compound
Hybrid: Wishon "321", 24*, MSF 85 HB, Winn DSI
Irons: Wishon 770CFE, Matrix Studio 74gm, Winn DSI

Putter: Odyssey DFX 2-Ball

Bag: Some big, honkin', ridiculous overkill of an Ogio cart bag with more pockets than I have teeth.

Yes it is a nice store (atlanta)... I really like the PGA Tour Store but the crowds in there are rediculious. It seems like any time I want to try out a club or two there are people two deep waiting to hit. That is when I head over to Golfsmith and no one is in there. I just wonder if it will be able to make it with the PGA Store doing so well.

so the PGA tour store also lets you test out all the clubs for free too?

In my Essex Stand Bag:
Wedges: Glass Bead - Lob Wedge - 60°Putter: Tour Collection MX400 (LOVE IT!)Ball: HX-Tour 56 - Pro-V1XHome Courses: Stone Mountain Golf Course (73.5/134)

Oh yes... and they will do "real deal" fittings. Dont let the sales staff fit you though. Ask for one of the teaching pros and see if they will fit you (if you are in the market for clubs). The simulators are great and believe it or not very accurate, they also have a nice sand pit to try out wedges.

Oh yes... and they will do "real deal" fittings. Dont let the sales staff fit you though. Ask for one of the teaching pros and see if they will fit you (if you are in the market for clubs). The simulators are great and believe it or not very accurate, they also have a nice sand pit to try out wedges.

But you said the PGA tour store was always full? It doesn't seem like it from the highway, but I guess it could be

In my Essex Stand Bag:

They just opened one recently near my work, so I sometimes stop there on my way home. It really is a nice store, and I get to go when it's rarely crowded. You're right - being able to swing the latest clubs without any sales pressure is a nice bonus.

Yeah, idk where you are in NJ but I go to the Bridgewater one. My dad and I have spent like 1,000 dollars total for us both over the past year or so. Whether's its clubs, balls, etc. I got a custom made snake eyes driver there, didnt like that so i got the ping g5 from them, my dad got the cobra fspeed woods and driver and also got the taylor made RAC irons from them...

they got some solid deals, but there 90/90 policy is garbage. The irons have to be over $500 dollars to get the 90/90...my dad was pissed cuz he didnt like his irons like 2 weeks after he bought them (they were $449)

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I love Golfsmith. There are three stores within 30 minutes of my house. Unfortunately the one that was 10 minutes away had a water main burst inside their store on a Sunday evening this winter and nobody was there until Monday morning. The store was destroyed and they had to trash everything. I am guessing that with the economy in Michigan they might have been struggling because at this time they are not planning on reopening that store. It's too bad because it was the perfect location. It is just off the highway and attached to a golf dome and outdoor range. You could hit all you want and really see what the ball was doing.

I got my new irons there because with my Golfsmith credit card I get 12 months 0 intrest on purchases over $299. Why spend my money when I can use theirs for a year. I did a full fitting and they were very thourough.

Just Saturday I was in the new store they openend about 30 minutes from me and it was the nicest one I've seen yet. The indoor hitting are was in the corner and had 4 bays as opposed to the two in most of them. They also had a launch monitor with someone working there to help you.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Yeah, idk where you are in NJ but I go to the Bridgewater one. My dad and I have spent like 1,000 dollars total for us both over the past year or so. Whether's its clubs, balls, etc. I got a custom made snake eyes driver there, didnt like that so i got the ping g5 from them, my dad got the cobra fspeed woods and driver and also got the taylor made RAC irons from them...

I go to the one that opened on Rt.46 in Totowa (a bit north of you).

Yeah, I was curious about those 90/90 signs I saw. I didn't know it only applied to purchases over 500 bills - I don't think the signs in-store mention that, unless it's in fine print I didn't notice. Sucks that you got stuck because of a 50 dollar difference! How do you like those Pings, though? Did they fit you for them first? Tom

Bag It:

Bag: Some big, honkin', ridiculous overkill of an Ogio cart bag with more pockets than I have teeth.

speaking of golfsmith, I went by today just to try a couple of drivers out, and so I got the guy to set me up on the club fitting screen, and I was just hitting with different drivers. Usually when I go to the range I hit about 220-245 yds average with my driver, and that was what I was hitting around today with a couple of drivers (cobra, taylormade, callaway, etc) so then I just wanted to try a different one and I picked up a Nike Sasquatch Sumo Squared Driver, and this thing was awesome!! The first one I hit was 306 yards, and I constantly got it over 300. I had never hit it that far, the thing has an awesome sound when you hit it on the right spot. It is a good driver

what do you all think?

In my Essex Stand Bag:

You're "new to the game" (according to your sig) and you're hitting tee shots 300+ yards consistantly? That's awesome! Especially since, from what I've read, the square drivers actually sacrifice distance in order to gain forgiveness. Good for you!

Personally, if I were you I would first find a place that would let me demo the Sumo at an outdoor range before I plunked down my wallet. Just to make sure.

But hell yeah - if you can buy a stick that makes your driving average as long as that of a top touring PGA professional* (without ending up in the wrong fairway all the time), GO FOR IT!

* From: "While the typical amateur is still struggling with the 200-yard standard (even if he thinks and says he hits it 250), the PGA Tour driving-distance average has jumped from 260.4 in 1993 to 279.8 in 2002 to 287.8 this year." ( http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...4/ai_101967369 )

Bag It:

You're "new to the game" (according to your sig) and you're hitting tee shots 300+ yards consistantly? That's awesome! Especially since, from what I've read, the square drivers actually

That's pretty weird because I didn't hit it as far with any other driver, I guess I just loved the sound the sumo made when I hit it right, and yes I've only been playing for about 2 months now. I wonder if Golfsmith would let me check out the driver to see how far it goes on an actual range.

In my Essex Stand Bag:

Seriously, ask them if they'll let you do that. If not, call around to pro shops who carry the Sumo til you find one that will. You don't want to get your hopes up after spending as much as you would for a used car, then get to the course and find that Golfsmith's calibrations were a little off. They might not be off, of course, but for that much money it's worth it to be absolutely sure.

Good luck! With numbers like that after only 2 months, I expect to see you hoisting a trophy on the Golf Channel before Christmas

Bag It:

yeah I'll have to call around and see. How much do those drivers usually go for? $399+?

In my Essex Stand Bag:

LOL - you didn't even *glance* at the price tag while you were in the store??

Golfsmith advertises the Sasquatch Sumo Squared for $399 ( http://www.golfsmith.com/products/NK805 )

If you buy it, post back and lemme know how it works under game conditions!

Tom

Bag It:

LOL - you didn't even *glance* at the price tag while you were in the store??

I knew it was around 350-400, just wanted to know exactly how much..

In my Essex Stand Bag:

I go to the one that opened on Rt.46 in Totowa (a bit north of you).

Nah, I don't really get officially fitted. My dad is a 5 handicap and my sister's boyfriend is a PGA pro so they tell me what I should get..I never really got "officially fitted"...The only thing I ever regret buying were my irons. I liked them at first because I was playing really old clubs, but they are so heavy and clunky, like shovels.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Note: This thread is 6130 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!