IGNORED

NEW MEMBER INTRO: BEGINNING GOLFER FROM HONOLULU

Watermark
Note: This thread is 4173 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Greetings All,

Thought I'd drop by here first for a quick Intro before I start posting any 'beginner' questions.

I'm a 61-year old "semi"-active veteran and father of two adult boys, with lots of different interests (e.g., ocean sports, guitar, hockey and early-model Harley's, and to be honest, I've never really played much golf.  However, the wife has been playing now for many-many years, mostly with her Dad whom she recently lost, and I kinda enjoy the game (to the extent that a beginner can?), so its high-time for me to step-up.

As time permits, I've been accompanying her to the driving range now and again, even played a couple of rounds with her over this past few months, but the rental clubs are typically terrible in quality, so I think its time to focus on purchasing a new set of clubs. I firmly believe that decent clubs will improve my level of commitment and enthusiasm. Hence, that'll be my first step, and that's probably where my initial postings here will focus. Please keep in mind that I'm an absolute beginner, but I'm talking about things like . . .

1) What are some of the better brands of irons, woods and drivers I should look for?

2) Should I focus on metal or graphite shafts?

3) At 6' 3" and 245 lbs, should I focus on regular, stiff or so-called senior flex? And what about overall shaft length?

Basically, I'd like to get some of these 'beginner' questions answered before I go exposing myself to any significant blind (i.e., on-line) purchases or to any retail sales people. Translation? I'd like to avoid making any huge mistakes, if possible.

Cheers! And thanks for listening!

Shakah Braddah.

Learned to golf at Leilehua Golf Course near Wheeler AFB/Schofield. Also played on a course on Schofield called Kalakaua - not sure if that one is still there. Also played Barbers' Point, Navy-Marine, and a 9-hole course on Ft Shafter. Boy do I miss those days.

Where are you hitting balls. Where does your wife play?

I'd recommend finding a second-hand set of clubs. Maybe get your swing speed measured first before you get them so you know if you need stiffer shafts.

If you like the sport, recommend upgrading from the second-hand/used clubs to some newer ones.

Maybe they have a golf shop that will allow you to demo clubs - I like PING clubs.

You've got the life over there. I always thought that I would retire over here - but have chosen FLA instead due to sports, lower cost of living.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the nice greeting and for the quick pointers on clubs. To answer your questions, the wife and I lived in Arizona for many years, so that's where she played the bulk of her golf, but we've been back in Hawaii now for more than 10-years, and we play whatever course(s) we can.  She and her dad are (were) both great golfers, but I suck at golf, so we try to stick to the slower, low-key courses like the small executive course over on Kaneohe Bay or the links in Waimanalo.

Regarding clubs, I've been trying to do my homework by researching them on-line, and from what I've learned so far, it sounds like best clubs of any one type or variety (i.e., irons, woods or drivers) are each made by different manufacturers, meaning that a good set will probably be comprised on clubs made by an array of different manufacturers. In other words, Taylormade might make the best overall drivers, while Ping might be recognized as making the best irons, etc., etc., meaning that if I buy "new", I should probably plan on making up a set from mixed brands.

I'll be honest and say that I don't like the thought of buying something used. I know it makes perfect sense to do so for a wide range of reasons, but I'm skeptical about whether I'll get the best "fit" in the best brands from the used marketplace, so for this reason, I'm kinds committed to buying "new". Anyway, thanks again for your contribution here and best of luck to you there in Florida.

Aloha

Note: This thread is 4173 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!