IGNORED

Clubs from the 80s - A Good Article from a Few Years Ago

David L Yskes
Note: This thread is 3847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by David in FL

And the really nice thing is that you won't have to walk nearly as far to that next shot!

This is sure the truth.  The good old days were just not that good in some ways.

Courses were generally much shorter and in less pristine condition. Anyone remember the way the greens looked after a full day of everyone wearing full-length metal spikes?

Courses were generally much shorter and in less pristine condition. Anyone remember the way the greens looked after a full day of everyone wearing full-length metal spikes?

Only in the movie "The Greatest Game Ever Played"

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well I went back to Goodwill...and bought the whole set a week ago. With average 80's type bag it set me back $10, but to get to their ten dollar charge minimum I also had to buy 2 boxes of crunch&munch; and 2 boxes of gallon zip lock bags. (God love Goodwill ! ). I did the purchase on my way to the driving range and had the owner check them out. He said late 70's, or first year for the TT lite shaft. They are Custom, which I guess is a knockoff brand from the 70's and 80's, the driver heads are probably not persimmon. The irons do have steel shafts and that cool thread on the hosels. I got a bucket of balls, ...and lord I will tell you. I really suck at golf. My best shot was about 150yds, using today's range balls and the 4 iron. Now I have a new challenge...To shoot under 60 (9 holes)with these clubs on a par 3 course. It does however give you a new found respect for the golfers of that day.

I think some low compression golf balls would be handy with this set.

My dad has a set of McGregor DX irons - circa 1970 or so. Back in 1987 I had the heads restored - stripped, refurbished, rechromed and repainted. One of these days I'll replace the shafts and give them a try. They were my first set of full sized irons so would love to see how they feel today.

I still use a set of irons from the early 80s.  Golden Ram Tour Grind 2i - pw.  I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Still have my Golden Ram aluminum shafted driver - has to be from around 1975 or so. Also a Ram 5 wood - no idea of vintage - it was my dad's but ended up in my bag at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite from the 80's but from the early 90's I hit my power-bilt TPS irons today, I bought them used in 1993, i thinks they are from '91 and in 20 years i had never hit them until today. For used irons, 1 - pw,  I paid dearly for them $300 in '93. I was, or thought I was, hitting my Dunlop O/S so well back then I didn't dare hit a "Players Club" then. Hey they hit great, other than the pecan sized fairway metals, most of my shots were okay. I bought and kept these clubs for company/vistors to use until today. I even shot a 187 yd drive with the 1-iron! The guy I bought them from died 2 months after I bought them. : < (  ...sad. I think that put a stigma on things. But I shot a 50(9 holes) with them and I feel they still have a lot of life left in them, for me.

Next up 70's clubs, I'll try to beat a 60...

Picked up a Macgreger Nicklaus Muirifield 1 and 5 wood from my local thrift store... will try them out on my next range session... luckily someone re-gripped them with Lampkin jumbos, so they feel nice. .. may implement the 5w into my bag if the yardage fits.
  • Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!