IGNORED

MP 60 vs Ping I5: Bounce Angle

Note: This thread is 6116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have about made up my mind that I am going from my Ping I5's to the Mizuno MP60's. I've hit them so many times on the range now that I feel comfortable with finally making my decision to go with the MP60's.

My question is the bounce angle/degree. What does it mean? I was looking on Ping's website on the I5 specs and the bounce degree is higher by a lot more than the MP60's on all the clubs. (Ping has a LOWER number) What does that specific number mean? The lower the number, the less the ball with bounce???

In The Bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad 460 9.5
3 Wood: G5 w/ Graffaloy Pro Launch Stiff
3-PW: MP60's Wedges: Black Pearl 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot #4Ball: Pro V1

If you hold up your wedge bringing the clubhead to eye level. Make sure the shaft is at 90 degree's to the ground (so it's straight up). Notice that the trailing edge of the sole is lower than the leading edge. That height difference is the bounce angle. More bounce helps the club dig less, less bounce allows the club to dig more.

Generally you'd be better off with more bounce if you are a digger, ie. take a big divot and less bounce if you take little or no divot.. a sweeper.

Where bounce really comes into play is in sand traps, where one would put a different sand wedge in the bag based on conditions. More bounce for soft sand... you don't want the sand wedge to dig, less bounce for harder / heavier sand.

As for the Ping's having more bounce that the MP-60's. Think of hitting a ball fat with a club with lots of bounce, if you sweep it (as most beginners do) the trailing edge is more likely to hit the ground first rather than the leading edge, so the club is more likely to 'bounce' up off the gound rather than dig into it. So you'd normally see more bounce on game-improvement clubs.

Mizuno F-50 3W DS S300
Titleist 906F2 5W UST V2
Titleist 585.H 21 DG S300
Mizuno MP-FLIHI 4 DG S300
Mizuno MP-32 5-PW DG S300Mizuno MP-R 52.07 DG Wedge FlexMizuno MP-R 56.13 DG Wedge FlexTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 60.04 DG Wedge FlexScotty Cameron Studio Newport 2

Well that about covered everything I was asking. Very nice! Thanks!

In The Bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad 460 9.5
3 Wood: G5 w/ Graffaloy Pro Launch Stiff
3-PW: MP60's Wedges: Black Pearl 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot #4Ball: Pro V1

Note: This thread is 6116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!