IGNORED

Myrtle Beach Trip

Note: This thread is 6046 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, mom presented my brother and I with the opportunity to make it down to Myrtle Beach and play some golf. I've never traveled before to play so I'm really excited about this.

I have a couple concerns aside from where to play.

1) I'm 22 and my brother 16, when you are making a package does his status of a junior save me any money.

2) Considering I'm 22 I believe most car companies require you to be 25 in order to rent a car. I also believe that companies that rent to under 25'ers have HUGE rates. With that in mind are there hotels/resorts that provide shuttles to courses?

3) building on 2, is there an area in Myrtle Beach that has a number of class courses real close together. I have been looking online but I have no idea what courses to play, I've looked at Myrtle Beach National and Aberdeen but I'm clueless with the tracks down there.

What do you guys think of the best courses down there... I guess I'm looking into a 5-6 day trip with 5 rounds. 3-4 rounds at the best tracks down there and maybe 1-2 at a cheaper track

Thanks for everything guys! real help

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

I don't know anything about golf at Myrtle Beach, but it sounds like you'll have a blast with your brother. Good luck!

In my Essex Stand Bag:
3 Wood: F/Speed - Aldila S Graphite Shaft
Hybrid: Halo 3i 22° - R Graphite Shaft
Wedges: Glass Bead - Lob Wedge - 60°Putter: Tour Collection MX400 (LOVE IT!)Ball: HX-Tour 56 - Pro-V1XHome Courses: Stone Mountain Golf Course (73.5/134)

Look into staying at Barefoot resort,4 great courses in one complex and a shuttle from airport.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

barefoot looks great but its really expensive, I just called them and worked the kinks out: 5 nights/ 4 rounds with one adult/one junior lodging and golf came out to be 1390.00 include airfare and I'm looking at 1776.00

I'm just not sure if thats worth the money

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

make a trip to legends. they have three courses, i played the moorland which is the 35th toughest course in the country. the heathland is a scottish links course and the parkland was inspired by allistor mackenzie. also, play caledonia and true blue.

in my bag
driver: r9 with Fujikura Motore 65g stiff shaft
3w-5w: Sz with stock shafts (aldila hm) stiff
irons(3-pw): s59 stiff
wedges: 52deg. rac satin vokey spin milled 56deg. putter: xg9ball: b330rx

www.golfdesk.com

I booked with them recently and they are great
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

We got great value this past February at the Glens golf group course. We stayed at Heather Glen and played one of their courses, plus Barefoot Love and Myrtlewood.

I would also recommend Legends. They have very nice courses and should be less expensive than Barefoot. Though you might not want to stay at Barefoot from your comments above, DO add one "trophy" course to your trip.

I can't address shuttle service, but that should be easily knowable. Have a great time.

Heaven is 630 a.m. Saturday morning, 65 crisp degrees headed toward a comfortable 80, first tee (elevated, of course) . . . and not another worry in the world.

Driver: r7 quad/10.5 degree, stiff shaft
3W: Steelhead III, stiff shaft
7W: r5, stiff shaftIrons (2-SW): ISI K/Black dot, stiff shaft,...

All most all the hotels will shuttle you to and from the airport.Your problem is getting to and from the courses.Yes Tru Blue and Caledonia are top shelf but with out a rent a car it is a LONG walk to either.I could recomend Heritage also but your needs are to plop down in one place and play your asses off.There are very few places that offer top courses {multiple}and lodging and shuttle.Legends will be comparable to Barefoot in price with only 3 courses.Check out Avis or Dollar rental in Myrtle beach and see what they will do for a rental even at your age.It might make the difference in price to a hotel package worth it.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

3) building on 2, is there an area in Myrtle Beach that has a number of class courses real close together. I have been looking online but I have no idea what courses to play, I've looked at Myrtle Beach National and Aberdeen but I'm clueless with the tracks down there.

I've been to Myrtle 4-5 times...twice this past summer.

I've got alot of advice. First off, golfdesk.com is a GREAT way to book both room and greens. Ask for Mark Stoneking....he was fantastic! OK, the car thing. Call the rental agencies and ask about a surcharge fee for under 25 rentals...they may have it. In my opinion, you can't do Myrtle properly without a car. However, having said that...the guys at Golfdesk do have some non-car suggestions. Legends resort has 4-5 courses all on site...and you can either get a shuttle or cab there. But, and I stress but, the problem with that is that you miss out on all that Myrtle has to offer in terms of eateries, night life, etc. If you're 22, there's ALOT of fine looking girls that walk around the Myrtle Beach Downtown area (basically an outdoor mall). Definitely a place to go to for dinner and early evening browsing....if you strike out with the girls that troll that place....you can take a short drive to the Masters and waste some dollar bills! ;) On to Golf...as already suggested Legends and Barefoot offer one stop golfing, if you're hamstrung on the car thing. Otherwise, I sugest you look at the Master's package w/golfdesk. You'll get 5 rounds for the price of 4...including one at King's North, for approx $200!!!!! Aberdeen (great budget track) is included in that package as well as Willbrook (great plantation course), River Club, Litchfield, Long Bay, etc. I highly recommend staying away from Myrtle Beach National West or South....King's North is the only worthy track at MBN, IMHO....and it's SO good, it's a MUST PLAY. Other really great courses: Caledonia (I finally played this place this past summer. Every hole, every shot, every vantage point, is a postcard waiting to happen. Simply the most breathtaking course I've ever played). Long Bay - Nice northern Myrtle course. Oster Bay - Nice northern Myrtle course. Heritage - STUNNING south myrtle course. Black Bear - nice, budget northern myrtle course. Arrowhead - nice budget mid-myrtle course. Wizard - great starter course, easy track, wont lose alot of balls, inexpensive. Hope that helps....

Stay in North Myrtle...close to Martin's Golf and Tennis Superstore (which is directly across the street from Golf Dimensions).

What time of year did Mom dictate?

Practice at Possum Trot....where a lot of the best local regular "players" and tourists-that-think-they're-good come to size each other up. Best of the Beach, laser-cited center and range and top golf school. Play it from the back tees and measure your score against your home track. Good introductory course to test yourself and see how your game relates to...home.

Glen Dornach after that. Toughest 16, 17 and 18 in Myrtle. Play it from the back tees if you think you got game -- and length off the tee boxes -- after getting cocky with a decent round from the back tees at Possum Trot.

Dye Course at Barefoot. You really, REALLY think you got freakin' game? Daly shot an 82 from the Tournament tees there. Played with a tour pro recently that shot a 75 and was "on". If you're a 3 at any course's back tees in P-A, L-A, or wherever...play this course from those back tees (7300 and change at sea level) and you'll probably shoot 95 at best.

Long Bay. Nicklaus course. Awesome practice center, instruction and overall facilities. Play it from the whites after playing my above 3 course recommendations.

Aberdeen. Play it from the front/ladies' tees after my above course recommendations. You'll go home happy and think you're a good golfer again.

Guest ShadowXOR
I went to Myrtle Beach once (not the golf course) and the place looked like filthy slums. Was I just in the wrong section or what?

I agree with the Dye course as one of the toughest courses.But the toughest 9 in Myrtle from the back Tees is the back 9 on Heritage hands down.2nd toughest is back 9 on Rivers Edge up North.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4

• 1 month later...
Note: This thread is 6046 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!