• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
barrie2985

Driving range personal trainers

Hello fellow forumers I'm looking for people's opinions on golf specific personal trainers based at driving ranges would/does anybody use one and what are your thoughts on the idea and do you think it could work thankyou

Any exercise program should start with someone who applies objective baseline tests.  This can be as simple as toe-touch, shoulder turn, etc.  Without that baseline testing, how do you know if his/her program is helping you?

Someone with FMS or TPI certification is a good place to start.  Of course not all of them are great but you're increasing your chances that a) the trainer isn't a hack, b) the trainer cares enough to take time off for professional development, and c) the trainer will use some objective criteria to evaluate.  Less chance of wasting your time, money, and effort.

Going to either website will allow you to search for qualified people in your area.

Like any other business, there are great, good, mediocre, and terrible trainers.  Don't forget you're the customer and have a right to interview a few to see who will work well with your needs.

Edit: feel welcome to get back to me about your needs and experiences and I can try to help more - decades of work in the business ought to be put to good use to help you out.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

Talamore Golf Resort
    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    Mission Belt
    Snell Golf
    Frogger Golf
    PitchFix USA
    • Many specialty clubs are Black Anodized  Steel these days. Not that long ago, the new thing was BE (Berylium Copper (or however you spell it). Those were FUGLY and I hated them when doing QC for Acushnet. Not to mention they are probably toxic.  ( I do not really know that). Just about all (or at least many) of  the new hybrids are black including the face and sole. It has been stated that folks used to allow the BE wedges to intentionally rust to give them more "bite".
    • Greetings @PaddyMac . Was out one a windy day last November, and joined a couple of players from a local college golf team. One player was from Ireland, and had an XStiff driver with 8* loft. The last hole was a 440-yd. par 4 into a 35 MPH wind. (My tees were only 390 yds.) He hit a line drive that never got 15 feet off the ground; it carried out to about 270, and then ran out another 50 yards. My drive from the shorter tees, a solid hit for me, came up about 40 yards short of his, despite my starting advantage. So, I think I understand why you want a shaft that will help you keep the ball lower, in case the wind blows.  As for your driving iron, a couple of extra things to consider. Your new AMT shaft will be heavier than the KKBlack:
            Regular: 108 - 90 = 18 grams // Stiff:........112 - 93 = 19 grams Roughly 18 more grams of weight for the new shaft means the swingweight will increase by +2 units. That will more than cancel out the -1/4 inch trim that would have decreased swingweight by about 0.7 units. As for shims, you would have weigh it. I have limited actual reshafting exerience and none involved shims. @boogielicious, any tips on shims? For other details, check out the Callaway Customization measurement guidelines.
    • I was 6 or 7 years old the first time I played a full 18 holes with my dad, not sure if we played by the proper rules but I remember that I shot 121 (Probably with a few mulligans).  I think I still have that 20+ year old scorecard somewhere in my parents basement, I was pretty proud of myself from what I can remember.
    • Yes, of course. I would only fix it if I was waiting to putt and I noticed a pitch mark. 
    • I like to think I leave the course better than I found it.  This includes ball marks, divots and trap raking (not that I am ever in traps).  I fix lots of ball marks on almost every hole.  I play mostly private and they are not a lot better than the public courses I play on. I use a single tine tool or a tee.  FWIW at a  country club that I play regularly they give out the single tine tool and their "how to" specifically says do not twist a forked tool it breaks the roots. http://foregreens.com/images/ForeGreens_0009.jpg
  • Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

• Get Great Gear with Amazon