IGNORED

My Swing (adzeemah)

adzeemah
Note: This thread is 3663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys just looking at getting any feedback i can get about my swing, hitting the ball really clean 75% of the time, really want to just find a nice consistent swing. Main struggle with mishits is with the longer irons and my driver, generally hit where im aiming with a 6 iron onwards.

I've been Playing Golf for: Roughly 8 months

My current handicap index or average score is: 16

My typical ball flight is: With driver im hitting a draw and occasionally turns into a fade? Irons playing a draw as pictured in my video below, with wedges i have different swing to play mostly a slight cut, need to get this video recorder.

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Pull hook with longer irons? Driver changing from a draw to a pushed fade to the left

Videos:

What's up man . . . nice swing. There are a lot of great videos that have helped me here http://purestrike5sk.com/videos.php#video_playback

Obviously a slice is caused by coming over the top and/or having your face open to your swing path. Usually comes from starting the downswing with your upper body instead of hips/weight forward. I have the same problem late in rounds because I get fatigued sometimes. Check the Key #3 video out called, " Driver Drill to Stop Slices ," . . .  super helpful.

Welcome to the site . . . where you from? What do you work on when you practice?

Thanks for the reply! Yeh my current bad shot is actually a pull to the right or a straight shot that is practically a cut, never really a slice( i feel like this is because I pull the club too far around my back rather then towards my head?), I'm from the central coast Nsw Australia, I just generally play golf to practice, but when I do go to the range it's to work on clean contact with my longer irons, As this is where I normally pull with a big hook, I have just been measured up and been told my clubs are an inch and a half too long so hoping this will help with consistent and clean impact with my 6 iron and up! When I get them back I pull post a couple of videos up, will suss out those videos thanks heaps

Thanks for the reply! Yeh my current bad shot is actually a pull to the right or a straight shot that is practically a cut, never really a slice( i feel like this is because I pull the club too far around my back rather then towards my head?), I'm from the central coast Nsw Australia, I just generally play golf to practice, but when I do go to the range it's to work on clean contact with my longer irons,

As this is where I normally pull with a big hook, I have just been measured up and been told my clubs are an inch and a half too long so hoping this will help with consistent and clean impact with my 6 iron and up! When I get them back I pull post a couple of videos up, will suss out those videos thanks heaps

Oh sorry about that...I forgot you were lefty and didn't put 2 & 2 together. Well, yeah, I'm sure there's a video or two from that link that will help LOL. I get the pull hooks with my 4 iron too...I feel your pain.

NSW, nice! I'm born and raised in Cali but I lived in Perth for 2 years. Love Australia!

Yeah keep posting videos...one of the pros will comment eventually.

haha thats okay, that link helped a fair bit ill defiantly try a few things this Friday, wow leaving California for Australia, i wouldnt mind living there.
will post up more vids of my round friday waiting for a pro to assess :-X

Swing looks pretty nice.  To me looks like you don't get much turn/rotation at the start of your swing.  Your finish reminds me of my swing, where you're athletic enough to recover from that lack of rotation pushing your hands out too far at the start but to do that you swing on a super vertical plane and use athletic ability to get the club face to the ball decently.  Look at how you finish.  Almost vertical!  Despite some athleticism it's really hard to hit the ball consistently like you want that way.

I'd flare your feet out, front a tad more than back.  That'll help make it easier to get better rotation both on back and down swing.  Also, you dip/tip towards the ball a bit at the start of the down swing and also lose your spine angle early.  The butt on the wall drill has helped me with that.

Of course, I'm no pro, so I make no claims that my prescriptions are the best first steps or even that my diagnosis is totally right.  Though I'm certain you shouldn't set up with your feet parallel to each other.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So do you believe i should bring my club behind my shoulders more as I'm lifting it too high towards my head in my back swing? when i have tried flattening out the swing plane it seems to make me hook absolutely everything? surely im doing something wrong there haha, Also i shall have a look into the butt to wall drill you have recommended as well as opening my feet up to allow for more rotation

Hi Adzeemah, I know your area well. There's a couple of things that are identifiable in your videos, your take away is a bit too handsy, you lose your spine angle and you're a bit shut off or closed with your alignment (something common with left-handers who are right-side dominant). However, you do appear to have a natural talent for hitting a ball, something that is a huge advantage, a bit of refinement, time and practice will, I'm sure, see you improve. My advice is to walk into the pro-shop at the Bateau range and start having lessons with Ricky, if you are serious about improving, I'd have a lesson a month for a year. I would also suggest to start playing competitive golf ie join a club, get an official AGU handicap and play in members comps. I'd recommend Wyong over Shelley, there's a group of members over there that I suspect you'll get along with as opposed to Shelley.

Hey Pave, yeah that is at bateau range, i am currently a member at Shelly beach and started off 8-9 months ago with a handicap of 29 and have brought it down to 16 but defiantly want to keep improving, actually won my first competition at wyong golf club loved the course,  I am going to try the butt to wall drill to work on spine angle, i do feel like my take away is all in my wrists, do you think i need to learn to just bring the club back and break the wrists a lot later? will pop into bateau pro shop and ask ricky for a lesson if you recommend him highly

So do you believe i should bring my club behind my shoulders more as I'm lifting it too high towards my head in my back swing? when i have tried flattening out the swing plane it seems to make me hook absolutely everything? surely im doing something wrong there haha, Also i shall have a look into the butt to wall drill you have recommended as well as opening my feet up to allow for more rotation

You're not rotating your hips or shoulders much at the start of the back swing, just bringing it back with the arms, and the lack of rotation forces your hands to stay too far towards the ball on the line perpendicular to your target line at A2 (that's alignment 2 in TST speak, the point on the back swing where the club shaft is first parallel to the ground).  Check out the Key #4 videos at the first link in the post by @BENtSwing32 .  I might recommend starting with the "Turn Those Hips for Depth" video.  Remember with those videos you might not be making exactly the same compensations they point out as possible ones, and the ones you make probably won't look quite so ugly as their exaggerated examples since you look like an athletic guy.  But you're definitely seriously restricting your hips and I think that'll be a good video for you.

Also, like I and @Pave said, you' re losing your spine angle and extending early (standing up straighter into the more finish style position of less spine angle and straighter legs than at setup too early).  You might want to look at the "Right Knee Drill to stop early extension".  Like I said earlier, the butt on the wall drill has helped me with that as well.  And though you're not quite doing the exact issue that the video was designed to help, your rear elbow does fly a little loose (your elbows are a bit too far apart to my eye) and your shoulder turn is a little flat (your shoulders are more parallel to the ground at the top of your swing than they should be).  So you might benefit from the "Controlling the Trail Elbow" video as well.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Ok cool.

Wrists breaking is one of those areas that is subjective, some will say the wrists don't actually break, the angle is created from a right forearm rotation (left handed speak), others will say there's a bit of both. It would be good if you could post a face on view of your swing so we can have a better look at your grip and face on setup. I see a fair bit of merit in having lessons from the Pro where you hit balls, simply because you may find he can keep an eye on your practice, that you don't start drifting away from what you should be working on. I would also be prepared to commit to more than one lesson as real improvement takes time and dedication.

As a little exercise you could work on: line up to an imaginary ball, keeping your posture, slide your hands/grip down the shaft until the butt of the club is in your belly button, then practice taking the club back to the top of your backswing keeping the butt of the club in your belly button for the first 50-60cm of your backswing, this will feel a lot different to what you normally do.

i will defiantly work on creating a better rotation with my hips and shoulders, having a look at that turn those hips for depth video now, cant wait to have a hit friday and try this out,
Pave, will try that exercise now, is this to exaggerate the hip and shoulder turn to get used to the feel of it?

Wow just had a go at that drill pave, I can see how this will promote me to not break my wrists so early and learn to bring the club back properally, I do play cricket and I feel a lot of my batting comes out as I'm hitting golf balls, so many bad habits to kick

Wow just had a go at that drill pave, I can see how this will promote me to not break my wrists so early and learn to bring the club back properally, I do play cricket and I feel a lot of my batting comes out as I'm hitting golf balls, so many bad habits to kick

Haha.  I could see how you'd naturally want to hit with a too vertical swing!  I've struggled for years overcoming habits from years as a baseball player.  Good you're getting on learning new habits early.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Hey guys,  tried a couple of things Friday
tried opening up my feet to allow for more rotation
trying to get more hip and shoulder rotation
bringing the club back without breaking my wrists! Is this an improvement?
Took a couple of swings to get used to found myself mishitting it a bit which resulted in my cut to the left but overall hit it quite straight actually played to 11 which i was stoked about. anyway here is the driver from side on and driver from behind

open to any tips though where i may need improvement

Note: This thread is 3663 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!