IGNORED

Three Wood Question

Note: This thread is 3600 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I use my 3w more from the tee than the deck. May or may not pull it on par 5's. If I have a legit chance to get home in two I will, some are short enough a good drive and 7w is enough. Others have enough trouble to layup. So I set my 3w up with a low launch shaft to keep the ball low and in play when it is absolutely necessary. I am currently using 2 drivers but I may go to a 1-3-5-7 setup to have a fairway longer than the 7w I can hit high and long. My 3w is 15 degrees at 42 inches.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks ago, I suggested a 3W would be more valuable if the loft was greater and I got several responses ranging from agreement to the idea that it was meant to be hit from a tee and not from the deck.  I set about finding one that had a greater loft or one that could be adjusted.  One reply asked if a 3W could be demoed and the answer is yes.  One fitter also suggested that it was meant to be hit from a tee but that just didn't seem right although I know it is done and is a good answer to those who spray a driver. I found and adjustable one that adjusted for controlling the right to left drive as well as loft.  By now you probably have figured out the one I am talking about.  At first I did not like the feel of the demo but as I tried it a couple more times, it felt better and I ended up trading my X2Hot for it and while still playing with the adjustments, I am pleased with the results and between improving my driving and having a 3W and a 5W I can now hit and stay in the fairway, my scores have dropped and I no longer fear the long Par 4 or Par 5's.  It was a good move for me but it does bring up another concern.  All my other clubs are Hybrids which calls for a different type of swing which requires thinking about that when hitting the different clubs and spending time practicing both swings.  Excluding irons and wedges, my bag includes Callaway X2Hot Driver, the aforementioned 3W, 5W, 3H, 4H, 5H and a 6H.  I am now working on what must go because with the help of a Fitter and a tracking device, the distance from each does not warrant the presence of all of them.  As I improve, I also find out what I used to hit an iron now is often rolling off the back of the green.  It goes on and on and on.

Note: This thread is 3600 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!