• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
BZCDR

Increasing stiffness on NS Pro950GH Utility shaft?

I want to put a regular flex shaft in my Rocketballz #5 utility, but I'd like it just a bit stiffer, perhaps the equivalent of one hard-step. The shortest shaft available is 38.5" and the current shaft length is a shade over 38", so if I understand it correctly, cutting the shaft down to original length would actually likely soften the shaft, much the same as cutting 5i shaft to fit a 6i when soft-stepping. Could I trim 1/2" from the tip? It will have to be shimmed as the hosel on the TM is .370 and the 950GH is .355. OR a recommendation for another reasonably priced mid-high launch utility shaft? I can get the 950GH for less than $20 here in Japan.

The 950 GH utility shaft is .370" ....The 950GH (iron) is available in SR flex which is basically an in-between flex between regular and stiff which may suit your needs. 39.5" length is available, part code SRI-A16 PRO.

Alternatively, you could reverse engineer the utility shaft and soft step a stiff flex.

The 950 GH utility shaft is .370" ....The 950GH (iron) is available in SR flex which is basically an in-between flex between regular and stiff which may suit your needs. 39.5" length is available, part code SRI-A16 PRO. Alternatively, you could reverse engineer the utility shaft and soft step a stiff flex.

My new SpeedBlades were stiffs soft-stepped once and I didn't like the feel/trajectory. I read one article (only one, mind you) which said soft-stepping actually only affected the kick point. But regardless, if I did go this route, do what, buy a longer stiff shaft and cut it down? As for the SR, I haven't seen it on sites so it may not be offered here in Japan. In working on this, I found an alternative shaft, the NS Pro Zelos7 hybrid shaft. It seems to be comparable to the NS Pro950GH HT shafts so far as trajectory

Further research on the Zelos7 has led me to believe that I may want to use the NS Pro Zelos7 Hybrid in my Rocketballz Rescues because I think it will perform much like the 950GH HT shafts in my SpeedBlades. But my regular flex HT shafts were hard-stepped once and they have more than enough height in their trajectory. How can I increase the stiffness of the Zelos7 about 1/3 step? There's only one shaft length, with a .370" tip, and I found one site that, if Google Translate is right, indicates that these shafts are only to be butt trimmed, (or 'bat' trimmed as Google Translate puts it). So how do you tweak stiffness if there is only one shaft length and you can't tip trim?

Further research on the Zelos7 has led me to believe that I may want to use the NS Pro Zelos7 Hybrid in my Rocketballz Rescues because I think it will perform much like the 950GH HT shafts in my SpeedBlades. But my regular flex HT shafts were hard-stepped once and they have more than enough height in their trajectory. How can I increase the stiffness of the Zelos7 about 1/3 step? There's only one shaft length, with a .370" tip, and I found one site that, if Google Translate is right, indicates that these shafts are only to be butt trimmed, (or 'bat' trimmed as Google Translate puts it). So how do you tweak stiffness if there is only one shaft length and you can't tip trim?

Not sure.  Have you tried contacting Nippon and asking them directly?  I'm sure they would be glad to answer your questions.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Contacting Nippin is the next step. Thought I would check on here first in case there was a known, easy solution. Since the great majority of sites that I pull up are in Japanese, I expect that it is going to mean a phone call in Japanese. Basic things I can handle on the phone but the expected conversation on this is going to stretch my language skills.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this