IGNORED

what is iron shaft to forearm angle?

Note: This thread is 3577 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When you are swinging dynamically, what is optimum for the angle of forearm to shaft in irons? I could understand a range for uprights, mid benders etc.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

I guess for clarity I should say I am wondering about the lie angle and its effects. If you have a 60 lie head, then at address the vertical down from the grip tip down should be 30 degrees. That also means the vertical up from the grip should be 180-30=150, assuming you dont reach. I have seen ads for training devices talking about 144 being "pro" angles or the consistent angle. What gives in this area? That natural plane should surely effect lie shouldnt it?

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

• Administrator
When you are swinging dynamically, what is optimum for the angle of forearm to shaft in irons? I could understand a range for uprights, mid benders etc.

There is no one optimal angle.

Despite what TourAngle tries to say… :)

P.S. @trickyputt , your arms are often not vertical at impact. And the shaft bows down and does other things at impact too. Don't put so much importance on lie angle, vertical lines, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well yeah, but it starts somewhere with those intitial setups. For example, my last fitter has my irons at 32.5 inches from the floor. My curling fingers to wrist is 2.5 inches. MY wrist to floor is being set to 35 at address because I bend a bit of course. Which is all cool, but if I change that hand height, reach or whatever, there it goes. I personally think I would see right or fade oriented shots. It is a new understanding for me to explore. I am not totally convinced having the hands in the same position through all the irons and wedges is the best idea.

Tom R.

Note: This thread is 3577 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!