IGNORED

Bald Head Island

edk
Note: This thread is 6098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am going for Thanksgiving. Any reviews? Cost?

Are you staying on the island? If not, (IMO) it's a major hassle getting from wherever you're staying on the mainland to the Bald Head Island Golf Course.

First, you have to drive to the ferry boat pier & drop off your golf clubs, then you have to go park the car, likely far enough away from the ferry boat pier you will have to catch a shuttle back to the pier. Then you likely will have to wait a few minutes for the ferry boat to depart to the island. It's probably about 15 -20 minutes once the ferry boat is underway until you tie up at the Bald Head Island pier. Next, you have to wait for your clubs to be unloaded from the ferry and loaded on the "golf cart tram" which will deliver you to the golf course (or your condo or house); it is sort of like a train, rather than individual golf carts, but with small open cars, and everyone is dropped off at their destination whether that is houses, condos, golf course, & whatever. On the way back to the mainland, you have to go through all of the steps in reverse. To me, just for a round of golf it is way to time consuming to be worthwhile. On the other hand if you're staying on Bald Head Island for two or three days, or more, the time issues with the ferry aren't so significant. I like the Bald Head Island course; it's a nice, well designed course and is scenic, but -- as I said before -- it's just too much of a time investment for me to do it more than once every couple of years.

I am staying on the island. Can you tell me more about the course?

Sorry, I've only played there a half dozen or so times -- the last time was 8/10/05. My thoughts (although I could be wrong) are that there is a fair amount of water on the course and the fairways are pretty wide. Most times I've played there I've seen alligators in some of the lakes/ponds, but I've generally been there in summer, not fall.

This link http://www.baldheadisland.com/aa/courselayout.asp will tell you more than I can. I didn't see anything on the BHI website to tell me whether the greens are Bermuda, bentgrass, or something else. And I didn't see anything to tell me whether the fairways and rough are Bermuda or something else. I hope you have a great trip and enjoy your stay, especially the golf.

Note: This thread is 6098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!