IGNORED

Which clubs do you hit off the tee with?

Guest ShadowXOR
Note: This thread is 6059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. What clubs would you use to hit off a tee?

• My driver only.
    • Any wood.
    • Any wood or hybrid.
    • Any club.

My fiance and I have been going to a local par-three course and we both seem to take a different approach. Most of the holes are pretty short (around 100 yards). She likes to hit off the tee (generally with a hybrid). I like to hit off the ground with an iron because I do a hell of a lot better. There are tees scattered about so it seems like lots of people use them. I find that I generally only prefer to use a tee with a wood, and occasionally a hybrid. Depending on how short or long a par three is it could require a different club, and of course you would have the option to use a tee. So when do you use a tee? Do you ever hit straight off the ground even when you have the choice to use a tee?

Jack Nicklaus once said "I found out a long time ago that air offers less resistance than dirt". No reason not to take a perfect lie when you can get it.

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I use a tee everytime...need to know how hight to tee it up though. With irons it's basically level with the ground. Same with iron-like hybrids. Woodlike hybrids about 1/4"; Fairway woods, 1/2"; driver - 1/2 of the ball should be above the top line of your driver.

Driver: Ping Rapture V2 9° TFS Stiff | 3 wood: Exotics CB 15° Fujikura HL Stiff | Hybrids: Adams Idea Tech V3 16° Stiff, TM Burner Rescue 19° & 22° REAX Stiff | Irons: Titleist 735.CM DG S300 5-PW | Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 254.10, 258.08 | Putter: Rossa Imola 34"

In your case, I would NOT use a tee. I would lay it on the grass and use it as practice for my 100 yard shots from the fairway or ruff. I take my son to a 9 hole just like that and I only bring my Lob wedge and putter.

I agree with J Bone here....if its only 100 yards, use it as practice for "real time" approach shots.

But, on a par 18 70-72 par course, I always tee it up....even if slightly. I usually pick up an old broken, half tee on the tee box and use that.
In My Datrek Bag:

Driver: R9-460 9.5°
Woods: Burner 15°
Hybrids: Burner 3,4,5Irons: G10 Gap - 5 ironWedges: cg15: chrome, 56° 60°Putter: Studio Newport 2GPS Unit: Push Cart: 2.0

Arnold Palmer says to always use a tee, so I figure who am I to disagree with him? I always use a tee and it makes things much easier. You don't have to always tee it high. Even slightly above the ground helps to get clean contact even with short irons, so why wouldn't you use one?

Driver: SasQuatch 460 Tour (10.5* w/ stiff Diamana Blue Board 83)
3-wood: Ti Bubble 2
Hybrid: 3DX Ironwood (20* w/ stiff UST V2); 3DX Genex (17* w/ stiff stock shaft)
Irons: MP-60 4- PW
Wedges: MP-R (52*-7, 56*-10)Putter: Bettinardi C-02

My fiance and I have been going to a local par-three course and we both seem to take a different approach. Most of the holes are pretty short (around 100 yards). She likes to hit off the tee (generally with a hybrid). I like to hit off the ground with an iron because I do a hell of a lot better. There are tees scattered about so it seems like lots of people use them. I find that I generally only prefer to use a tee with a wood, and occasionally a hybrid. Depending on how short or long a par three is it could require a different club, and of course you would have the option to use a tee. So when do you use a tee? Do you ever hit straight off the ground even when you have the choice to use a tee?

You know, I was in the same boat as you when I was starting off. I wondered if I should even bother teeing my ball up on short Par 3 courses. Well I learned the hard way when I wasted at least 4 tee shots hitting the ball fat, and the ball went nowhere. That was 4 strokes wasted right there. Anyways, I started to tee the ball up to ground level for almost all my irons now. Tee height is pretty critical, it's basically what you feel comfortable with. As my game evolved, I am so glad that I picked up the habit of teeing my irons up. It's personal preference for you, if you don't feel comfortable doing it, then don't change your routine. Cheers

Driver: Nike 9.5° SasQuatch SUMO²
Fairway Woods: Adams 16° Tight Lies 3 Wood
Hybrids: Adams 19° Idea Pro Hybrid
Irons: Callaway X-18 4-AW (Rifle 6.0 Precision)
Wedges: TaylorMade: 56/12 Degree RAC SatinPutter: Odyssey 34" Tri-Ball SRT PutterBall: Callaway HX HOTHome...

Jack Nicklaus once said "I found out a long time ago that air offers less resistance than dirt". No reason not to take a perfect lie when you can get it.

I was just about to quote that!

When the rules allow you to give yourself a perfect lie, then why not take it. Never look a gift horse in the mouth!
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

in my lenghtly 3 weeks of golf, i have used a tee with an iron once.. i don't like doing it just because it feels like i'm cheating in a way... not so much cheating as "finding the easy way out"... i didn't do it at first because it was in my head that people would laugh or just look down on it.. and then when i tried it that one time, i felt so awkward that i messed the shot up... what i do however, is find a nice mound of dirt/grass, possibly in between 2 divots, and use it as a natural tee... I only use an actual tee with my woods, because i haven't bought a big bag of them, and with as many broken tees that i've seen around the teeboxes, i don't want to waste any of mine (i usually buy 5 from the clubhouse at the beginning of the round, and pick up any that i find in good condition throughout the game)

I agree with an earlier post. Even on short part 3s where you are hitting a short iron...using a tee (even if barely sticking out of the ground) it gives you a perfect lie.

I think the problem is more mental than anything else. Some people have a tendency to overswing when the ball is on a tee no matter what club they have in there hand.
In My Bag ( Superlight 3.5):

Driver: 9.5* Burner SuperFast, Matrix Ozik XCon 4.8 Stiff
Fairway Woods: Steelhead III, Uniflex Steel (3w, 5w)
Hybrids: Big Bertha Heavenwood 4H, Uniflex SteelIrons: Victory Red Full Cavity, Stiff (5-AW)Wedges: WALTER HAGEN,...

I always use a tee. Why not have a perfect lie.

L4V M Speed
Insight XTD Hybrid 3 Wood
Insight XTD Hybrid 5 Wood
Idea A30S Hybrid 4 and 5 Irons
09 Burner Irons 6-AW CG14 WedgesF7 2 Ball Putter w/ dyssey Jumbo Grip Grom Bag

On par 5's and 4's, usually driver where I can, then 3 wood. If the hole is tight and not too long, I might go with my 3 iron hybrid or my 4 iron. Obviously on par 3's it's whatever gets you there given the conditions like wind, etc.

I actually think that, for me, I can have too many clubs I can use off the tee which adds confusion and second-guessing - it works better for me to actually limit the clubs I go with off the tee. Anyone else experience that?

Driver: Ping Rapture V2 9° TFS Stiff | 3 wood: Exotics CB 15° Fujikura HL Stiff | Hybrids: Adams Idea Tech V3 16° Stiff, TM Burner Rescue 19° & 22° REAX Stiff | Irons: Titleist 735.CM DG S300 5-PW | Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 254.10, 258.08 | Putter: Rossa Imola 34"

Note: This thread is 6059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!