IGNORED

interesting lessons learned...

niblick
Note: This thread is 6066 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played in a two-man scramble yesterday, with a friend who typically shoots 120. We played on a course with a slope of 127 from the whites - no easy course for sure. Narrow off the tee and comically small greens. We finished with a 82, which I was really happy with. 9 pars, 8 bogeys and a double.

I was really struck by something during the round. He'd ask a question about something (club selection and aim off the tee, what to do with a difficult lie, etc.) and the process of telling him, to the best of my limited ability, what to do really made me think it through. I found this really helped me play better, because it forced me to really analyze the situation and think clearly.

For example, 323 yard dogleg right par 4, water in play off the tee. We talked about club selection - initially I was thinking 3 wood or hybrid. After talking about it and watching him hit it off the world, I opted for a 4 iron which I hit to the middle of the fairway about 120 out. Downhill lie, flag slightly uphill. I hit 9 iron because there was a severe slope in front of the green - short would be dead, and long was no trouble. I hit the 9 fat, and it landed pin high 8 feet left of the pin.

This was a hole that I could have screwed up 6 ways from Sunday. Talking it out with my partner forced me to see the smart shots, play the percentages, and walk off with a ho-hum par. I need to play like this more often I think. Sorry for rambling. :)

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

I played in a two-man scramble yesterday, with a friend who typically shoots 120. We played on a course with a slope of 127 from the whites - no easy course for sure. Narrow off the tee and comically small greens. We finished with a 82, which I was really happy with. 9 pars, 8 bogeys and a double.

This is why the game is 90% mental and 10% physical. How many times have you not seen TW thinking out loud with his caddie about approach shots and pin placements and what not..

Good job, you're on your way to better scores.
HiBore XL Tour 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 652 Tour Spec X-Flex
HiBore 15* FW Aldila 70-S "Proto By You"
Hibore 2i Aldila 80-S "Proto By you"
MP-67 3-pw *Project X 6.0
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

That is indeed a good lesson. Just make sure you don't take it too far. For example, still analyzing while standing over the ball. At a certain point you have to turn the brain back off.

This is why the game is 90% mental and 10% physical.

To a certain extent I agree. But until you have the physical game, I don't care how good of mental game you have, you're not going to shoot par or better golf.

I've had friends who shoot in the high 80's that thought if their mental game was better they could shoot in the 70's consistently. I would disagree with them because their physical game wasn't at that level. Now when you talk about tour players, the mental game is definitely more involved. If you go watch the pros hit the ball, they all hit it beautfully. What seperates the great players is their putting & mental game.
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

This is why the game is 90% mental and 10% physical. How many times have you not seen TW thinking out loud with his caddie about approach shots and pin placements and what not..

I'd say it's more of a 90 mental and the other half is physical...... To quote The bear......
What's in my bag?

PING G5 driver......125 shipped
Ping G5 3 wood.....110 shipped
Taylormade RAC LT irons 3-PW......200 plus shippingTaylor made 2 iron......(sold)Black Callaway golf bag.....(sold)Titlist Vokey Wedge 58* 40 shippedTitlist Vokey wedge 54* 40 shippedAll For sale......If...

One of the drills recommended by the Vision54 authors is to play a round with a partner, and each of you, before every shot, verbally announce your plan for that shot to the other. I think you've stumbled onto a version of this. After all, if you don't actually have a plan, why exactly are you over the ball??

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

Sound course strategy has always been a great way to lower your handicap by eliminating the big numbers (doubles and greater). In your case you even gave yourself a chance for birdie.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 6066 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!