IGNORED

Miami Florida courses I have played

Icehawk
Note: This thread is 6070 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a total beginner so...

Crandon Park - on Biscayne Island. Wow, this sucker only costs $30 w/cart right now during the summer and the place is almost like a country club. Very nicely kept course which has featured in the past on the Seniors tour I believe. Greens are stupidly fast and heavily contoured for a serious challenge on every hole, fairways have medium length rough but it is Bermuda and the ball will sit down and can be very hard to hit. Water hazards on several holes and many holes are lined with Mangrove trees making even a smallish slice OOB and lost. I liked the course but at my skill level this was just too much. It's also fairly windy at times adding to the challenge. Prepare for Iguanas and beautiful birds at many holes as well as some nice vistas of Miami, the scenery here is awesome. I'll be back!

Greynolds - wow, CHEAP summer deal! $19 for TWO players with cart - only 9 holes but it is a standard course layout with one monster par 5. The course is in OK condition overall, fairways were in vgc when I was there but some greens were not as nice although all were fine to play on. Much easier overall with no water hazards and little chance of losing a ball. Overall a great little 9 hole if you don't have a lot of time or are newer to the game and don't want to expense/challenge of some of the other area courses. Windy when I was there too. I'd advise finishing a weekday round by 5pm so as to avoid the after work rush.

Biltmore - haven't played here but took a lesson last week onsite and I'd bet this is a top notch joint when it's in season. Way outta my price range though at $140 a round!
The Good:
Heavenwood 3h
White Steel Two Ball
Orlimar SOS 56deg SW & 60deg LW
The Free:767 Pro Series 3-9iTomahawk 50deg PWKing Cobra 10.5deg Driver (350cc) 10.5deg Intimidator Driver

Thats great that your enjoying some of the beautiful golf courses SoFla has to offer. I agree Crandon park is awsome I remember the first time I played there also when I just started playing, those long par 3's and that monster par 5 on the back 9 is just scary. Next time try Emerald Hills in Hollywood area its awsome if you have'nt already, only draw is its a little expensive to play on winter and fall season but during summer times its 30's I beliveve, another are Hillcrest G.C.C. ($35) and Orangebrook G.C.C. ($23 Twilight $15) both in hollywood area. Greynolds is where me and my golfing buddies really started , oh and Miami Shores (back in the days when they use to have those weekend driving range special $9 all you can hit).

905R or 907D2 9.5* Fujikura Speeder X-stiff
GS Tour 3W
R7 Fairway Wood 5
Burner Rescue Hybrid 3H
755 iron set 4-PW Spin Milled 52*, 56*, 60* Studio Design Black Laguna, 35" Tour Issue One Black CB641 Caddy Bag Japan Model

I also live in Miami. Lucky for you I am a Miami golf course guru and have played almost every golf course within 20 miles. I'll list a few of them you might want to try out (and avoid!)

Crandon - $30 with cart??? What time did you go? That is WAY underpriced. Last time I played was over a year ago and it was $75 around 2pm on a Sunday. GREAT golf course.

Greynolds - Never played this one (hey, I said "almost")

Biltmore - Played it before they renovated it. I don't know what has changed now, but when I played it definitely wasn't worth $140. I paid $70 w/cart. The layout, bunkers, and fairways were great. The greens totally, totally, totally blew.

Now for the rest....................

Briar Bay - Short par 31 course. This is my practice course I play before work often. Four par 4s and the rest are par 3s. Fun course, great short game practice. Greens in great shape. $9 walking week day mornings. Couple of bucks more weekends.

Calusa Country Club - $40-$45 w/GPS cart weekends. Water comes into play on a couple of holes (more if you have a nasty slice). Greens are in decent shape. Tee boxes are nasty and not very level.

Miccosukee Golf & Country Club - $50-$60 w/GPS cart weekends. Great greens, fairways, rough, everything. Water on almost all the holes. I won't play this one again until I'm a little more consistent with my driving... can't wait because I love it.

Palmetto Golf Course - Cheapest 18 hole golf course in the area. I hope you like 5 hour rounds. No joke. You will not get out of there in under 5. Abandon all hope ye who enter.

Killian Greens - Bleh. Play Calusa instead.

Costa Greens - *puke*. Not even if it was the last golf course on Earth.

Doral Blue Monster - If you hit your ball into the rough just go ahead and hit 2-3 provisionals. I don't care if you saw it land. You won't find it. I played this course when they had a special running in June. It's over $200 normally. Course is in excellent, excellent shape. Several pro tournaments have been played here, but the rough is just ridiculous. You just can't find your ball.

and my favorite...

Doral Great White - The absolute best golf course I have ever played. It would be blasphemy for me to attempt to describe it. Best go to the source: http://www.shark.com/gngcd/doral/index.php . I cannot wait to play this course again. I don't care if it will cost me the same as 3 rounds somewhere else.

Driver: SasQuatch 10.5°, Stiff Flex
Woods: Grand Slam 3-wood & 5-wood
Irons: TPS 7.0 3I-PW
Wedges: 56° sand wedge & 60° lob wedge
Putter: White Hot #6

Regarding Crandon, weekdays after 10am it's $30ea w/GPS cart during the summer. Of course it was 90deg out with 100% humidity...

Have you been to Melreese? I've heard good things about it.
The Good:
Heavenwood 3h
White Steel Two Ball
Orlimar SOS 56deg SW & 60deg LW
The Free:767 Pro Series 3-9iTomahawk 50deg PWKing Cobra 10.5deg Driver (350cc) 10.5deg Intimidator Driver

Regarding Crandon, weekdays after 10am it's $30ea w/GPS cart during the summer. Of course it was 90deg out with 100% humidity...

You got lucky. I've played after 1PM at Calusa a few times when it was over 100 out and it was nuts. Makes me laugh to think that the pros were crying about 100+ degree dry heat at the PGA Championship. I'll take that any day over this "drenched-in-sweat-before-you-reach-your-opening-tee-shot" humidity.

Have you been to Melreese? I've heard good things about it.

I think that's called the International Links now and no I haven't. I'll have to try it out. It's fairly close to Miami Springs, actually. Think I'm going to suggest to my boss that we hit that instead next time we sneak out early for some golf.

Driver: SasQuatch 10.5°, Stiff Flex
Woods: Grand Slam 3-wood & 5-wood
Irons: TPS 7.0 3I-PW
Wedges: 56° sand wedge & 60° lob wedge
Putter: White Hot #6

played cradon a little bit over month ago, friday morning w/cart 47.00
white/silver.. and from Light house point to St. Lucie practically all of them. Now live in NC, way better courses..
HiBore XL Tour 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 652 Tour Spec X-Flex
HiBore 15* FW Aldila 70-S "Proto By You"
Hibore 2i Aldila 80-S "Proto By you"
MP-67 3-pw *Project X 6.0
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

Note: This thread is 6070 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!