IGNORED

Launch Monitor and Brand of Ball

edk
Note: This thread is 6022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I spent 1 hour on Dick's launch monitor testing drivers. I surprised myself with my numbers using new technology, but keep in mind I currently swing a 3 year old Walter Hagen driver. Here's my question: Does it matter which brand of ball you hit on the monitor?

I hit the Sasquatch, Cobra LD, TM Burner, TM Superquad, and Cally FT-5. Out of the five drivers, the Superquad was by far the best club for me. Hurry up Santa Claus!!!

The type of ball matters. Your optimum trajectory is determined by launch angle and ball spin. Too much spin, the ball will climb to high and you will not get any roll. Too little spin, the ball won't carry as far you would like it. Remember, just because the club says it has 10 degrees of loft, that doesn't necessarily mean that the launch angle is 10 degrees. GL.

Joe McNulty

5SK™ Director of Instruction, Cape Cod, MA

Driver - D3 9.5

3-Wood - SQ 15

Hybrid - 17 Adams

4-PW - 714 AP2

50, 56 & 60 - Vokeys

Putter - Scotty

Ball - Pro V1x

I didn't think launch monitors took in to account the characteristics of individual balls? may be wrong though.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I didn't think launch monitors took in to account the characteristics of individual balls? may be wrong though.

Actually it does, but indirectlly. Because some balls are made to spin, where others are made to reduce spin off the driver. So if you normally hit a low spin ball and then the balls on the simulator are higher spin then when you get the spin optimized for the peticular ball then it will be too low for a low spin ball, and reducing distance like Fried Egg said.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

• 2 weeks later...
The ball has an effect, but you're not going to be PGA tour with one, and duffer with the other. For instance the Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade TP Black offers less spin (less feel as well) than the Titleist Pro V1 and the Taylormade TP Red. What does that mean.... if you slice the ball it will be slightly less evident with a lower spinning ball. The Sandtrap did a great review of these 4 balls... It's a decent read... Normally, when I go to GolfGalaxy or Dick's to spend some time on the launch monitor the sales associate will ask what brand of balls I play. Those 2 retailers also offer ball fitting services as well.

Here's the link to the sandtrap review
In My Bag:

Driver: 9.5° FT-i LCG
3-wood: 15° X Tour
Hybrid: 18° FT HybridHybrid: 23° Baffler ProIrons: X-20 Tour 5-9Wedges: CG 12 Black Pearl 46/50/56/60Putter: 32" X3Ball: TP BlackHome Course: Blackmoor Golf Club (136/71.2)

Note: This thread is 6022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!