IGNORED

My Swing (Baog)

Baog
Note: This thread is 2986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 20 years
My current handicap index or average score is: high 70s on fairly easy courses. I often hit 12+ greens but I'm not a good putter and usually not a good course manager, missing greens that I should not miss and then failing to get up and down. In my 20s when I had an index it was usually in the 4 - 5 range. Now, I don't play as often and I am more like an 8 but I don't have an official index.
My typical ball flight is: 5 yard fade or straight. I'm a pretty straight hitter but I almost never draw the ball. 
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: straight pull. Because I almost never draw the ball, I almost always aim left and either miss just left or the ball fades back to the target but occasionally I'll hit a pull that gets me into trouble. Less often I hit a big slice. I know my swing path is out to in and that's what I've been working on (it's getting better). I'm also working on a related issue of cupping my left wrist at the top of the backswing. I'd love to hear some drills or suggestions for the wrist cupping at the top.

Thanks for looking and any help or suggestions.

Videos: 

Edited by mvmac
Videos

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

I'm also working on a related issue of cupping my left wrist at the top of the backswing. I'd love to hear some drills or suggestions for the wrist cupping at the top.

Stopping the arm swing sooner will help. Like here. The more the arms run on the more the wrist will cup and the right arm will overflex.

Screen_Shot_2015-10-21_at_9.52.47_PM.thu

Good drill is just to hit balls with tees in both armpits, helps sync the arms with the pivot, will also "force" you to turn more earlier.

Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 9.52.47 PM.png

Edited by mvmac

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks Mike. I'd noticed that on short irons I get more consistent directional results with a shorter swing but I didn't know why and  I'd been reluctant to do that on the longer clubs because I don't want to give up any distance. 

In comparing the 5SK video to my own swing, I can see how much less I turn my body at A3 than Eric does in the good swing example. I see how the tee drill you suggested would help that.

• 1 month later...

Finally got the chance to film another range session. I think I've improved the right arm position significantly but now I notice that my head is moving quite a bit on the backswing. I can fix that sway if I think about it but it's so ingrained that whenever I'm working on something else, it creeps back in.

I've also been able to shorten my swing a bit. Again, I have to think about it some. It doesn't come naturally to me to be "driving" the swing with my shoulders instead of my arms.

These two things are probably plenty but on the off chance I get them worked out, is there anything else that I should work on?

The trail elbow looks better on the backswing. I'd like to see the right arm be a little bit wider at the top. Try to create more "space" between the right hand and right shoulder. "Push" the right palm into the left hand. Will give your arms a better chance to come down with your body, rather than lagging behind causing you to flip it.

566904aa80a7f_ScreenShot2015-12-09at8.46

Mike McLoughlin

11 hours ago, mvmac said:

I'd like to see the right arm be a little bit wider at the top. Try to create more "space" between the right hand and right shoulder. "Push" the right palm into the left hand.

I think I've done that at various times in the past, but only when I was trying to make sure my left arm was as straight as possible. I didn't think about it as an effort to get wider.

Thanks again for your help.

1 hour ago, Baog said:

I think I've done that at various times in the past, but only when I was trying to make sure my left arm was as straight as possible. I didn't think about it as an effort to get wider.

Thanks again for your help.

Yeah don't do it with the thought of "left arm straight", use your right hand to "push" into the left hand to create that space.

Mike McLoughlin

• 4 months later...

It's been a while since I've videotaped myself at the range. I've been working on staying a bit wider without letting my right elbow fly. I'm still flipping, which I think is making me hit it higher than I'd prefer and is costing me some distance. I can tell teh cause is that my arms are behind my body but I don't really know how to fix that. Any good drills to have my arms stay in front of my chest?

Note: This thread is 2986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!