IGNORED

My Swing (MortonhallGolfer)

MortonhallGolfer
Note: This thread is 3165 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

I've been Playing Golf for: 15 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 12 (UK handicap)
My typical ball flight is: Fairly High, slight draw.
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Slight Push / Snap Hook

Long time watcher of the forum and thought I would sign up and start participating.

Winter is just starting here in Scotland and there will be much range time this winter trying to work through issues ready for the return of some competitions. 

Welcome any thoughts on my swing from you all. Currently working on staying better connected in my swing. Have a tendency to get very 'handsy'. I also have a tendency to stand up at towards impact and my posture changes so any good drills are welcomed!

I can generally get away with this on my irons but leads to dispersion with my driver, sometimes a slight push or other times and big hook. 

Thank you for your thoughts.

James

• Administrator

Reminds me of a swing of a kid on my college team…

I'll try to have more to say later, but you've probably gotta get better control of that right elbow. It migrates well around behind you, and that is going to make controlling the path and face more difficult than it needs to be.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you for reply iacas. Your reply makes sense in that I find staying in sequence from the top difficult sometimes, I get fast with my hands and arms often, getting ahead of my body rotation and that's when the destructive hooks come in!

@MortonhallGolfer

Below is a screen shot of you at setup and A4, top of back swing. Your hip turn is centered, which is excellent, but the issue that @iacas mentioned above is still a piece you want to work on. You have a great shoulder turn, but you are letting your right elbow pull everything back including your left arm.

mortonhallgolfer.thumb.jpg.26b7dfa11ece9

A good drill to work on is the one below. I use the feeling of pressing my right palm on my left thumb. What this does is straighten your right and left arms during the backswing, but more importantly, it keeps your right elbow in a more forward position so it doesn't get stuck behind your side on the downswing. With your shoulder turn flexibility, to don't need to get your hands so far back to get any swing speed boost. This video is from this thread.

Shorter (Probably Better) Swing

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@boogielicious & @iacas thank you very much for taking the time to respond to me.

I haven't had much chance to practice this yet but I have been working on the feeling of the right hand gently pushing on the left thumb.  I played a friendly bounce game yesterday and shot 42 points stableford up at Gullane Links (Scottish Open venue 2015). What was very noticeable was more control over my driving. Staying in play gives me so many more scoring opportunities.

Working on this more this week and will get some range time. I will post up a video to see if changes are on the right track.

Note: This thread is 3165 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!