• Announcements

• iacas

Introducing TST "Clubs!"   08/28/2017

No, we're not getting into the equipment business, but we do have "clubs" here on TST now. Groups. Check them out here:
Sign in to follow this  
eirvev

How far do you hit your 5-wood/hybrid

Just curios, how far do you hit your 5 wood and your 18 degree hybrid?

I think the 5 wood should go a bit longer, but how long?

I prefer to think of my hybrid as a supplement versus a replacement. I carry a 19lofted Taylor Made Burner that is labled as a '3'. Most naturally remove the 3I. I myself continue to carry the 3I in addition to the 3H as each have a different flight.

If I need to have a more boring trajectory shot...easier to do with the 3I. If the lie is impaired or I have an odd stance....hybrid. Hybrid is also a tad tougher to work the ball (intentional fade or draw)...so 3I for those circumstances.

Also compared to a 5W...hybrid has a different flight and use (But I don't use a 5W). The 5W will probably have a lower trajectory and able to draw/fade....to where the ball will probably run a bit more on the ground. How much longer it will roll...uncertain and dependent on the topography. In some cases the hybrid will be longer on a net basis as the 5W shot will run sideways. So again...the hybrid has a different use.

My 17 hybrid flies 220-225. My two iron was close to this (less carry, more roll) and my five wood was almost the same.

I have never hit an 18 degree hybrid.
I can hit my 5 wood prety far. I hit it like 240 plus roll. Well a hybrid I usally hit it like 5 or 10 yards less thatn a wood in the same loft.

I have never hit an 18 degree hybrid.

The point of the hybrid is as a 'rescue' club in that some hit the ball longer under pristine conditions. But if the ball is say sitting in a divot, ruff, on a slope, or other impairment....the hybrid has the advantage.

Also...for those that may not be able to hit their long irons or traditional woods well....the hybrid has the advantage in that a 5 iron swing is taken and the ball will fly like a 3iron, 2iron, or 5 wood. Hit a longer club (5w or 3w) if longer distance is needed.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

Talamore Golf Resort
    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    Mission Belt
    Snell Golf
    Frogger Golf
    PitchFix USA
    • I voted "no". Reason being there is/are sanctioned events and tours (e.g. Michigan Hickory Tour) and some are even shown on Sky Sports. They even have the Trilby Tour. This is a real amateur tour where the main stipulation is that you have to wear a trilby hat (i kid you not). Like many have said, the tech is soooooo different that it is more likely to be detrimental to their regular game that anything other than 9 holes or so for charity or exhibition wouldnt be worth it for them. That being said, some older pro's have switched largely to hickory golf with a lot of success. Sandy Lyle for instance won the hickory World Golf Open in 2014 and 2016. Still plays modern gear but in interviews says he enjoys the old stuff more. Difference is that Sandy isn't competing at the very top of the sport these days.
    • @Jack Watson, I think you know as well as I that the USA Today article is garbage in terms of saying pros want to play full tournaments with hickory. In fact, one of the first quotes in the video was, "Wouldn't want to play them from the tees we play nowadays". The the most praise they got was that the person "enjoyed the hit" or that it felt soft, but the soft wasn't necessarily good considering one of the pros likened it to "a bar of soap". In other words, the old equipment is garbage (crap) by comparison. It's the same as if you compared a Ford Pinto to a modern Ford Focus: the Pinto is crap by comparison (though there are a few who have a nostalgic infatuation with the older one).   My point is that what you think, "They should have enough pride to actually want to do this," has absolutely no bearing on reality. The pros have nothing to gain from playing this event, besides maybe to blow off some steam as a joke. It certainly wouldn't count towards the FedEx cup and they'd have to devote extra time to practice with equipment that, quite frankly, no longer is relevant or matters anywhere outside of a history museum.  I'd be willing to bet $100 that a survey of all pros on tour would show more against such an event than in favor of it. I understand that you very much want to see the event happen, but you should also be able to understand the reasons why such an event would never happen and why a majority of the golfers would be against it.  
    • I posted this for people who are intered in testing their core and balance, with these three progressive moves.  then leaving a comment on how they did.  If you are not interested in doing that please go somewhere else
    • @Vinsk  You have not shown a shred of evidence to support your view as I did.  Snedeker agrees with me and he shot 80 with vintage gear.  Where is your evidence?  I offered mine. Platitudes do not qualify as arguments.
    • It’s just more of the, “I just won’t admit this game is incredibly hard” nonsense to me. “Oh yeah? Well let’s see these pros who think they’re so good hit ‘real gear’.” It’s all nonsense. They’re that good. Period. @Jack Watson, you’re not. Whether it be hickory or space age titanium. Let it go. You’ll never ‘figure golf out.” Ok sorry. I’m done.
  • Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

• Get Great Gear with Amazon