IGNORED

Buyer beware on Ebay

DERSCH_79
Note: This thread is 5985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Buyers beware when buying clubs on E-Bay. I purchased 3 New Cleveland CG10 Black Pearls 52-56-60 degree for $165. Upon receiving the wedges, I became suspicious the club head color seemed a little off but they were all sealed in plastic so I didn’t think nothing of it. I unwrapped the 56 and took a few test swings on the carpet and noticed the heads were getting scratched which seemed odd to me. How were the wedges going to hold up on the course if they can’t handle Berber? I called Cleveland to find out if there is a way to validate these clubs. The only thing is a raised dot in the “C” of the Cleveland, a kind of watermark. Which mine didn’t have? I took the clubs to a local pro shop to compare it against a real club. I noticed mine had some variations: ¾” shorter, steps in shaft were off, club head smaller, color of club head off, no raised dot in the C, grips were more rubbery and Dynamic Gold sticker color was a deeper gold. If you didn’t have a club to compare it too you would never be able to tell the difference. I contacted the seller on Ebay and told him he sold me counterfeit clubs. He was more then willing to solve this problem. (HMM imagine that). I got my money back and learned a valuable lesson .If it seems too good to be true it probably is. Also stay with authorized online club dealers or buy from a golf shop.

I con's agree more. I sell on EBay quite a bit, especially clubs for my boss. I have had buyers ask for serial numbers, which is a good idea. Also, when I look into clubs on EBay, I always research the original club from the manufacturer, and ask lots of questions of the the seller.

Good Luck in the future!

Randell L. Vansant, PGA
Assistant Professional
Mizuno Brand Ambassador
Spokane Country Club, Spokane, WA
Mail to RandellIn My Bag:Callaway Fusion FT-5 (Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3)Titleist 909 F2 13.5 (Diamana Blue Board)Mizuno CLK 20 Degree Hybrid (Aldila NV Hybrid)Mizuno MP-57 Irons, 4-PW...

Goodness that's stinks. Care to disclose the seller's ID?

Driver: FT-3 Tour 10.5, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 75-S
FW: Insight XTD Pro FP400F 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ FW Stiff
Hybrids: G10 18 / 21, AWT Stiff
Irons: Steelhead X-14 PS 4-A, DG S300
Wedge: Vokey SM58.12Putter: 35" Studio Design 1.5Ball: B330, Z Star X or AD333, or D2 Feel...

I have been buying and selling on EBAY for a couple of years . It is this past year or two that there has been a flood of Clones and Fakes . For a ordinary golfer they may look like the real stuff but the truth does come out and in the end the buyer end up with a hole in his bag . Last year i purchased a iron set PING Rapture for 250 bucks . I said to my self wow i got a great deal . When i went to the local pro shop to have them resfhated to Project X 7.0 they club pro noticed that they were different from what he had in his shop . So we put both clubs side by side and looked for marks that would spell a countefiet . There were no Numbers on the Hosel . Paint job was inferior . Weight , metal , grooves and specs were the same . It puzzuled us as what i got was in all aspects a real thing except for the serial and paint , was the same with the original ping club . These clubs came from China the same place where ping and other golf manufactures have their club heads made . It may be possible that these were rejects and place aside for destruction but were kept elsewhere and then put together for sale to the public in the internet ( without the knowledge of the Manufacturer). I have seen clones and by the very sight you already know that they are not the real stuff . Mine had all the specs . Have tried them out on the range and course together with the originals and i cant spell the difference as there is none . Lucky for me ? Anyway i traded them for a set of Taylomade Iron heads which were manufactured in Japan by Miura . The new owner love them and i divulge the whole truth . He says he cares not where they came from ... important thing was that they brought his game to the next level . Happy ending . BUT BEWARE

Did the Seller have favorable comments and transactions on ebay?

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

The old caveat of buyer beware. It's the reality of the day, I guess. Saw some sellers were offering the recently recalled toys. The majority of sellers are honest and trustworthy, but it only takes one, if you're buying from him. It's still possible to find great deals on good clubs, though. A friend of mind got some on ebay, it was an estate sale. Husband dies and wife is unloading.
Asking for serial numbers is great advice that should rule out fakes.

Did the Seller have favorable comments and transactions on ebay?

He was a power seller 1200 some sales. He only had one bad rated and it was about shipping. The problem with Cleveland there are no serial #'s

i bought cg11 from a chinese seller
same problem

a few days ago, i saw a post in golfwrx forum.
there's this site hosted by chinese domain selling lots of taylormade, callaway, cleveland clubs at a really really low price
these clubs are probably everywhere on ebay...
http://www.saga24.com/
be aware!!!!!

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

Of course buyer beware about anything purchased unseen.

Most of my clubs came via one eBay seller or another. I've bought several versions, kept the ones I liked best and resold the others. Because I do my homework, I usually make a profit on the ones I resell, too!

A reputable seller will take items back if they're not as described. Otherwise, they'll pay the penalty of the bad feedback rating. NEVER buy anything from someone with questionable feedback. There are way too many sellers and way too many items for sale to worry about any particular one.

I won't say I've never had any issues, but I'm a very satisfied eBayer.

Best of luck!

In my TM r7 Stand bag:
Driver- r11 10.5° Reg shaft

Fairway wood - r11 3 wood
Hybrids- r11 3, 4 & 5
Irons- M1 6-AW, xft 50, xft 54.12 , xft 60.08°
Still have / love my r7 CGB Max 6-PW, xft 50, xft 54.12, xft 60.08° which I keep in Myrtle Beach, Tommy Armour 855 Putter

CG10's don't come in that finish...

Cleveland Launcher Comp, 9.5* stiff
TaylorMade V-Steel, T/S stiff
Cleveland Halo, 19* stiff
Mizuno MP-32, stiff
Cleveland 588 Gunmetal, 51*Cleveland 588 DSG RTG, 56*Scotty Cameron Newport II

CG10's don't come in that finish...

If you are saying that CG10's don't come in black pearl, then you are misinformed

Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

If you are saying that CG10's don't come in black pearl, then you are misinformed

The finish in the original poster's photo is what Cleveland calls "RTG", not black pearl:

Mizuno MP-32, stiff

The finish in the original poster's photo is what Cleveland calls "RTG", not black pearl:

This wedge and the wedges on the first post have totally different finishes, and I do know that CG10's don't come in RTG, but again the first post and this one are totally different. But I think the reason they look the same is because of the lighting.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

Its strange that I ran upon this post.

I was outbid on the same set of Cleveland wedges in your picture. I was excited because the bid was very low, I got outbid and was a little pissed, but looking back, it really was a "too good to be true" type of bid.

I generally do pretty good research, I had hit these at the range as demos and liked them, so I really thought nothing of it.

The fake stuff these days looks so good "out of the box" but the performance is just awful.

I bought a pair of "too good to be true" Nike 95 Air Max running shoes on ebay, I didnt find out they were too good to be true until they fell apart two months later.

Some people suck.

In the bag:
Driver: R7 Quad
Irons: Eye 2 + (Red Dot)
Wedges: Vokey (52, 56, 60)Putter: Anser G2iBalls: (Pro V1, NXT, DT Solo, Whatever is handy)

This wedge and the wedges on the first post have totally different finishes.

No they do not. The wedges in the OP are clearly a gold-ish finish. They are fake CG 10's in an RTG finish. Look at the black in the "CG 10" and look at the black on the hosel and tell me I'm wrong...

Those are RTG finish wedges, and Cleveland doesn't make an RTG finish on the CG 10's....

Mizuno MP-32, stiff

He was a power seller 1200 some sales. He only had one bad rated and it was about shipping. The problem with Cleveland there are no serial #'s

With 1,200 feedbacks, one comment with "fake clubs" will deliver a good amount of damage. I say you need to go with the truth. If it's fake then leave a feedback saying that it's a fake not because he gives refunds. You'll make eBay safer.

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

I've also heard that just because there is a serial number there, it doesn't mean that they are real. Even the fakes will have a serial number. They will all be the same serial number on every set of clubs, but it will have a serial number.

Note: This thread is 5985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!