IGNORED

Perplexed

Note: This thread is 2923 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 minutes ago, natureboy said:

For his club speed the Flightscope and Trackman optimizers I saw indicated his spin is a little low.

Not really. Using Flighscope Trajectory Optimizer

140 mph ball speed, 15 launch angle, 2100 rpm spin = 237 carry
140 mph ball speed, 15 launch angle, 2600 rpm spin = 237 carry 
140 mph ball speed, 17 launch angle, 2100 rpm spin = 240 carry
140 mph ball speed, 17 launch angle, 2600 rpm spin = 239 carry

He's basically in the realm of not getting much else out of his driver. We are talking about 1.2% here. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

41 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Not really. Using Flighscope Trajectory Optimizer

140 mph ball speed, 15 launch angle, 2100 rpm spin = 237 carry
140 mph ball speed, 15 launch angle, 2600 rpm spin = 237 carry 
140 mph ball speed, 17 launch angle, 2100 rpm spin = 240 carry
140 mph ball speed, 17 launch angle, 2600 rpm spin = 239 carry

He's basically in the realm of not getting much else out of his driver. We are talking about 1.2% here. 

I guess you are looking at more of his speed 'potential'. He said his average was more around 137 ball speed and once got it to 144. Even so his reported average carry is longer than the Flightscope model carries in your post. Maybe he had some altitude? Fair point that he's pretty close to optimal in both models

If you use the averages / medians he stated:

137 mph, 16.5 launch, 2325 spin = 231 carry, 240 total.

If you go by Trackman and his average swing speed of ~ 93 mph that model indicates his spin range (not his max) may be a hair on the low side of optimal with a very positive AoA, but yes still quite close on the launch and spin.

Trackman carry optimizer.PNG

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

8 hours ago, natureboy said:

If you go by Trackman and his average swing speed of ~ 93 mph that model indicates his spin range (not his max) may be a hair on the low side of optimal with a very positive AoA, but yes still quite close on the launch and spin.

Trackman carry optimizer.PNG

I plugged in some numbers into flightscope,

107 ball speed, 15 degrees launch angle, 3100 spin = 154 Carry
107 ball speed, 19 degrees launch angle, 2500 spin = 161 Carry
107 ball speed, 21 degrees launch angle, 1900 spin = 165 Carry

I think once you get a high enough launch angle the spin rates do not matter as much for low swing speeds (see below)

19 degree launch angle at 3100 spin = 159 carry
19 degree launch angle at 2100 spin = 163 carry

1000 rpm only means 4 yards of difference for a 107 ball speed.

If you do that for a guy with a 165 ball speed then you will see a drop of 8 yards. Even then that is not as substantial if you turn the difference into high launch / low spin versus low launch / high spin.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

These numbers came from a pretty beat up CG2. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the precise accuracy, but just general overall.

It told me what I was thinking but didn't want to believe.  My club head speed had fallen. 62 years of age and haven't really played in a couple of years.  Just getting back into it.

Also I was averaging just the best shots in my head, the numbers might be(probably) are off a bit.

9 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I plugged in some numbers into flightscope,

107 ball speed, 15 degrees launch angle, 3100 spin = 154 Carry
107 ball speed, 19 degrees launch angle, 2500 spin = 161 Carry
107 ball speed, 21 degrees launch angle, 1900 spin = 165 Carry

I think once you get a high enough launch angle the spin rates do not matter as much for low swing speeds (see below)

19 degree launch angle at 3100 spin = 159 carry
19 degree launch angle at 2100 spin = 163 carry

1000 rpm only means 4 yards of difference for a 107 ball speed.

If you do that for a guy with a 165 ball speed then you will see a drop of 8 yards. Even then that is not as substantial if you turn the difference into high launch / low spin versus low launch / high spin.

How comfortable is it to get up to a 19 or 21 degree launch angle with a relatively low loft driver? It would seem you'd need to tee high and really come up from underneath the ball? Asking only because I've never had a launch monitor to play with in this way and I would think at a certain amount of upward AoA it might become harder to apply a solid hit or generate / maintain SS.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

I use 3 1/4" tees and tee is as high as I can.  You HAVE to make a correct swing.  If you release early, it drop kick city.

I had trouble, at least for the first 8-10 balls on the monitor because they had a rubber tee in the matt. I was hitting thin.  I brought some tees, but this wasn't the tee holding kind of rubber.  I finally broke off a couple of tees and stuffed them down the rubber tee and it would grab the full tee then.

Other than that, it's comfortable to me.

I tee it up so the ball is almost all the way over the driver head, about a 1/4 of it below top of head. Also, tee it off the front big toe.

However, with my time running out, I moved the ball back to my right arm/shoulder(lefty) and seemed to gain a few mph on the swing, so there might be something to losing speed way out there on the toe.  Maybe because my club head is about even with my hands then and the release has expended itself instead of still releasing at the closer point. Didn't get to play with that, that much. Something I've got to explore a little more.

Note: This thread is 2923 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!