IGNORED

Comparing the Ping G & G30 Drivers

Note: This thread is 2812 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been playing the G30, SR Flex, TFC shaft, 11.5deg for a while and it's an easy to hit, straight driver with good distance. I p/u a G Driver, in SR Flex, Alta shaft, 10.5deg; having now played both, am posting my comparison of the two. Both have the same static specs (D3, 10.750oz, 310gms)  were played on the same course, tees, ball (V1)  wind conditions and of course the same golfer - my results below: *Note (the G30 was being played at 11.5deg & the G was played at it's standard configuration (10.5deg) - major reviews had indicated that the new G Driver, because on design could be played at a lower loft with equal results... 

A - Handles wind better, B - Hits the ball the same height, further distance, C - Has ability to hit a draw easily (I'm not a fader usually), D - Notable distance increase on 99% of drives...

Yes, to me the G Driver is all-around better than the G30 (still a nice driver); playing the G at 1deg less loft has it's advantages too. I have played the Cobra Fly-Z, Taylor M2 and the Pings - although I might see opposition, the G Driver is longer/straighter than those mentioned. I have not been a Ping guy, but the facts speak for themselves. My irons are Mizuno JPX850 Forged. I hope this comparison will help anyone who is seeking a new driver...

I tested several drivers in 2015, and I got my best numbers from the G30: 10.5*, with TFC R.flex shaft.

But, I didn't replace a driver last year.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Do you have a number for how much more distance you are getting out of it?  I play the G30 @ 11.5 and have seen some reviews talking about the G being longer but is it a significant difference?  

Unless the distance difference was significant I think I'd be more interested in the sound and feel of the G when you hit the ball.  The G30 to me doesn't sound great and feels a bit odd when you make contact but it goes pretty straight so I can live with it!  If they've changed that aspect on the G then I might be tempted to give it a go.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

10 hours ago, ZappyAd said:

Do you have a number for how much more distance you are getting out of it?  I play the G30 @ 11.5 and have seen some reviews talking about the G being longer but is it a significant difference?  

Unless the distance difference was significant I think I'd be more interested in the sound and feel of the G when you hit the ball.  The G30 to me doesn't sound great and feels a bit odd when you make contact but it goes pretty straight so I can live with it!  If they've changed that aspect on the G then I might be tempted to give it a go.

Distance is about 20 more yards per drive w/the G; I played both of these drivers in 10-12mph wind conditions & have not had an opportunity to take the G out when wind is minimal - it's always going to be longer than the G, even at less loft.  As far as sound goes - I don't know if more muted would be the best way to describe it, but it's a better sound than the G30 & V1 was the ball. The only way you'll know is to go hit one, wish you the best...

• 2 weeks later...

I hit the G driver today against my G30 in exactly the same spec.  We swapped clubs every few shots and balls, conditions etc were obviously the same.  There was a trackman to measure the results, and the results were the same.  You couldn't really tell which club was which looking at the data.

if anything I felt that I liked the sound of the g a little bit less than the g30, but it was pretty close.  I don't hit driver particularly well so maybe I am below the threshold of really being able to get the most out of them.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

(edited)
On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 4:25 PM, ZappyAd said:

I hit the G driver today against my G30 in exactly the same spec.  We swapped clubs every few shots and balls, conditions etc were obviously the same.  There was a trackman to measure the results, and the results were the same.  You couldn't really tell which club was which looking at the data.

if anything I felt that I liked the sound of the g a little bit less than the g30, but it was pretty close.  I don't hit driver particularly well so maybe I am below the threshold of really being able to get the most out of them.

At least you were able to satisfy your own mind, as to how you would play each one. I was out a few days ago and fortunately the wind was down from the last time I hit the G Driver, but the course was a little wet from the previous night's rain; again using the same ball (V1) & driver still set at 10.5, I was able to crank out a few nice drives, after warming up on a few holes.  Being that my usual shot is a little draw, my longest 2 were 245 &239yds - the others ranged from 195 & 220yds. Needless to say, I was pleased, considering that I thought yardages like the first two were beyond my capabilities amymore, being a senior.  For me this driver is easy to hit, feels great and will stay in the bag for foreseeable future... Hope you find one that give you what you are looking for... 

Edited by driver156
removed unwanted letters

Note: This thread is 2812 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!