IGNORED

How often do you play with a Caddy?

SirMilton
Note: This thread is 5968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I agree with the statement that Tour Players are playing a different game than 99% percent of the population, but it is not because of caddies. Their game is different because of the skill level. It would be like comparing major league baseball with a rec program. It's the same sport, but it is a different game.

i don't think the skill level changes anything. they have the best caddies money can offer. their caddies spend all of their time learning the player's tendencies and also those of the courses. i think that if you take those same players and make them play by themselves you'll see higher scores.

Heck, I was watching Tiger play in his Target Challenge and the caddy calls him off when Tiger is practice swinging. Tiger immediately gave the club back to him and took the new club. He then went through his routine and hit a great shot. Not once did he question his caddy. Why? Because his caddy will lower his score if he listens and he knows it.
What's in the bag... ( Revolver)

Driver: Big Bertha Diablo 8*
3 Wood: 4DX Fairway 15*
3I-PW: X20 Tours (Rifle Project X Flighted 6.0)Wedges: CG12 Black Pearl 50* 54* SM Vokey X-Forged 58* C GrindPutter: Classic #2 66* lieBalls: Various

shortgame85: great story. Mine is similar. I too caddied one summer when I was 13 outside Chicago. Caddies got to play on Mondays when the course was closed to members for greenskeeping. That was my only experience playing golf until later in life. 35 years later and nearly 3 years ago, I finally started playing regularly. I played my first rounds with a caddie this year at Bandon Dunes. There's no doubt their course knowledge helped shave a few strokes, but mostly I just enjoyed walking without carrying a bag or pushing a cart. I try to walk as much as possible. I'd love to see carts go by the wayside, not caddies!

www.artfulgolfer.com

shortgame85: great story. . I try to walk as much as possible. I'd love to see carts go by the wayside, not caddies!

Me, too. Liked your story, as well.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

I've never played with a caddy, and at this point I have no desire to do so. First of all, how will a caddy know what club I should use? There is no way he can know what club I hit 140 yards, especially since I'm a much shorter hitter with irons than most. Then there is the fact that someone is following you carrying your bags. It would just be really awkward for me. Plus I'm afraid that a caddy would give me a tip, I'd be having a bad day, and I'd act like a jerk to him because of it.

I've never played with a caddy, and at this point I have no desire to do so. First of all, how will a caddy know what club I should use? There is no way he can know what club I hit 140 yards, especially since I'm a much shorter hitter with irons than most. Then there is the fact that someone is following you carrying your bags. It would just be really awkward for me. Plus I'm afraid that a caddy would give me a tip, I'd be having a bad day, and I'd act like a jerk to him because of it.

A good caddy won't tell you what club to use (or give you on course tips/lessons). They'll tell you to hit your 140 club, taking into account yardage, wind, slope, temperature, humidity, elevation, expected roll, your ability to spin the ball, etc. It's still up to you to know what your 140 club is. They're also great at helping you read subtle breaks on the green. On a new course, they can be invaluable. They certainly don't care if you're any good or not -- they've caddied for plenty of duffers.

www.artfulgolfer.com

I agree with the statement that Tour Players are playing a different game than 99% percent of the population, but it is not because of caddies. Their game is different because of the skill level. It would be like comparing major league baseball with a rec program. It's the same sport, but it is a different game.

agreed. only times i've had a caddy were in the city and state amateurs as a teenager. they are cool, but as an amateur/junior golfer @ the time, you do it all yourself anyway....

lol, and sometimes the advice turns into an argument

907D2 9.5°, Fujikura Speeder
906F4, 15.5°, Fujikura Speeder
585H, 19°, Fujikura Speeder
735 CM 3-PW, Dynamic Gold
Vokey 52° & 58°35" Circa 62 #3Freestyle BagLow tournament score: 70 (back in my high school days)

Note: This thread is 5968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!