IGNORED

using a longer putter

Note: This thread is 2759 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay, so I have this Odyssey Metal-X Mid 7 belly putter which I am going to start using (again). I do not anchor it per sei as a belly putter, but do separate the hands several inches. My forearm touches the torso, but not really any more than one does with left elbow with a standard putter. There are different ways of gripping i.e. capping, claw, saw, extending left elbow as a pointer but I am more comfortable with a more or less normal style grip except for the hand separation.  I am hoping this will help me by standing erect, less pressure on the back e.t.c.  I am pretty accurate from 5 to 8 feet, but longer putts it feels a bit strange.  I am not too worried about the anchored putter rules and I would guess for the amateur golfer, not so many would be either. I do like the heavier weight.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

As long as it works for you and it's legal (the ROG does not forbit longer putter lengths, but it does forbid making a stroke with any part of the putter "anchored" to the body), then I say go for it. Extended-length putters are not my cup of tea; I play a 34.5" putter with a midsize grip and take my stance with arms fully extended but shoulders not pushed forward, and that works for me. Other people will probably chime in with their own preferences, but they'll be exactly that; individual preference.

Note: This thread is 2759 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!