IGNORED

Stats Methodology Question

DaveLeeNC
Note: This thread is 5979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a specific methodology that I use to gather my golf stats, and I wondered if anyone else does something similar.

WARNING - geek alert in effect

First a concept that is important in what I do - I call it "expected putting" (EP). I have a table that defines how many putts I should take (on average) to hole out from every distance from 1' to 100'. It is a totally arbitrary judgement on my part of what represents "decent putting".

From 1' or 2' - it is 1.0 (don't miss any)
From 3' it is 1.1
From 5' it is 1.5 (make half my 5 footers)
From 20' it is 2.0 (equal number of 1 putts and 3 putts)
From 50' it is 2.25
etc.

So if I two putt from 50' on a hole this is 0.25 strokes better than EP. Two putting from 5' is 0.5 strokes worse than EP, etc.

Now for the data. I record two pieces of information for every shot I make (along with an optional 3rd piece of info). This is how far am I from the hole and the club I am hitting. A well-played par 4 would read

D,7i-149;22,2

First shot was a driver (no distance so pull the distance from the scorecard), a 7i from 149 yards, and two putted from 22' (second putt was a 2 footer)

Now for that same hole played badly

D,5i-166-L,SW-25-B;45,4,1

Driver, my second shot had some kind of lie problem (the "L"), 3rd shot with a SW from 25 yards in a greenside bunker (the B), and I 3 putted from 45'.

I dump all this (in pretty much this exact form) into a MS Access database and derive whatever statistics I wish from this data. I monitor the following data

Number of Putts
Net Putting against "Expected Putting"
Scoring Zone putting - how I putted inside 8'
Lag Error on "long" putts
3 Putts
Tee to Green (how I would have scored had my putting matched EP)
GIR's
Driving Distance (determined on holes designated as measureable - flat and straight)
Error at Par - how far I am from the cup in 1 strokes after a par 3, 2 on a par 4, etc
Fairways
Up/Downs
Up/Downs with EP (a chip to 5' is a 50% Up/Down)
Birdies and Double Bogeys/worse
Birdie Opportunities (birdie putts of 15' or less)

Also I "normalize" a number of these stats against my average for that stat on a given course.

This is long and complicated to explain - and I guess was somewhat complicated to do. But it takes almost no time on the course and not much to time enter after a round, either.

Anyone else use a similar approach of recording your shots rather than summary data like GIR's, etc?

dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

The last time I went out, I only kept track of whether or not I hit the fairway from the tee and how many putts I took on the green. I definitely think I'll keep track of what clubs I use off the tee and to get to the green. I don't know if I'll keep track of the yardage on the fairway and how many feet my putts are but you do have me realizing I should keep track of more than I already do.
In My Sun Mountain C-130 Bag
Woods: System Q
Hybrid: System Q
Irons: Acer XP905
Ball: Other EquipmentPush Cart: Sun Mountain Speed Cart V1My Home CourseGreen Knoll Golf Course

The last time I went out, I only kept track of whether or not I hit the fairway from the tee and how many putts I took on the green. I definitely think I'll keep track of what clubs I use off the tee and to get to the green. I don't know if I'll keep track of the yardage on the fairway and how many feet my putts are but you do have me realizing I should keep track of more than I already do.

Actually, I have been surprised at how seldom all this data is useful beyond inate curiosity. Mostly it is useful as a validation of what I think is going on.

The most interesting stat that I've found is "why the heck does my handicap creep up every winter (I'm in NC). 70% of it is just my putting - surprised me. I assume that it is because the condition of the greens is worse in the winter. dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

wow...i'm amazed...
what is the purpose of collecting all these detailed data?
was it worth while?
it would definitely slow down my pace on the course if i have to keep recording a bunch of stuff...

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

wow...i'm amazed...

First of all I am analytically inclined. This doesn't require much time at all on the course. I am typically the scorekeeper for our foursome (usually a 4 man team event) and have no trouble adding my stats recording to the foursome and team scoring responsibilities.

I started out by recording 'the reason' for not parring any hole that I bogeyed or worse. A drive into the deep stuff forcing a chip-out and ultimate bogey would have 1 stroke charged to the driver. A routine 5i that missed the green by a bit and ultimate bogey might be .5 strokes to 5i, 5 strokes to chipping or putting (depending on what I did poorly). I didn't learn anything from that process. So I just started recording "what happened out there" and have been doing it for 3 years now. If nothing else it will be interesting when I get old and I can see just exactly how much of my game is gone where There is one place where this is occasionally very useful and that is club analysis. 2 years ago I was considering buying a gap wedge and dropping something out of my bag. It was easy to find all the shots that I would have hit with a GW (had I had one) that I hit with an easy PW instead and see that the easy PW shots were probably as good as any GW would be - so no gap wedge. Right now I carry a 58* LW which I find more effective in the 50-80 yard range, but less effective (vs a 60*) around the greens. It is easy to look at my data and make an intelligent analysis of this trade-off. But beyond occasional stuff like that this is not something that I think "demands to be done" for the average golfer. dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W

Great System Dave.

I have been working on something that is very detailed yet very easy to use.

Not sure if I can mention it as this is my first post and I don't want to do any self promotion.

Although I'm totally confused, I'm honestly amazed with your methodology. Are you a college professor, by the way?

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

Although I'm totally confused, I'm honestly amazed with your methodology. Are you a college professor, by the way?

Not me - but I am an engineer (retired). So "it fits".

dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W

Note: This thread is 5979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!