IGNORED

My Swing (marklemcd)

marklemcd

I've been Playing Golf for: 9 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 21
My typical ball flight is: I wish there was typical? My usual miss is either a very strong pull or a weak push. I am hitting a 7 iron, it typically flies 155ish and when I pull it goes 170 and when I push it goes 140
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: I'd love a consistent miss rather than being all over the place

I bit more: I started playing 9 years ago, played a decent amount until having kids and was "ok" in that I'd shoot high 80s regularly and my handicap was 16. Barely played after having 2 kids quickly and then last spring got back to swinging and playing more and now I find myself with the time to be able to concentrate fully. I want to build a good swing from the ground up, so I'm willing to start with the most basic of things to get to a good repeatable swing. I plan on creating an evovlr account soon and going that route, but I want a place to publicly document my progression and to hear what others have to say. Sorry that this angle isn't the best, I plan on going to a different range this week to get a better DTL view and a good face on. Please be brutally honest, I can take it. :-)

Videos: 

Been going through other member swings to learn. Amongst other things, looks like I'm not getting nearly enough turn from my hips/shoulders on the backswing? I definitely don't have a good impact position, even without a good face on shot. Clearly my head is not steady and I'm standing at impact.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, marklemcd said:

Been going through other member swings to learn. Amongst other things, looks like I'm not getting nearly enough turn from my hips/shoulders on the backswing? I definitely don't have a good impact position, even without a good face on shot. Clearly my head is not steady and I'm standing at impact.

Gonna be tough to turn when your legs are essentially stilts, with very little ability to extend.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I get what you're saying, is the solution to have some flex (is that the right word) in my knees? Also I saw in another swing thread the post about having knees turned out vs turned in (and feet flared as well). Is that where I should be starting you think?

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, marklemcd said:

I get what you're saying, is the solution to have some flex (is that the right word) in my knees? Also I saw in another swing thread the post about having knees turned out vs turned in (and feet flared as well). Is that where I should be starting you think?

Yes.

Start there. The knees need some flex. The golf swing is an athletic movement.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Was able to video my swing from both positions and sent them through evolvr but again want to document my progress as I go along. I tried to change my setup a bit as recommended though I’m still working on it and will work to implement whatever comes from evolvr.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking in here with some progress and notes. I'm not going to post a video yet, but I've been working diligently on the feedback received from my first evolvr submission. I don't want to reveal their secret sauce but my main priority is working to get to a better position when the shaft is parallel to the ground. If you look at my video above, you can see that my hands are high and outside and the clubface is inside of my hands and I've rolled over.  Here's a photo taken while I video'd my practice at the range. While not perfect, seems to me I've gotten closer to where I should be. And the results are obvious to me in much better contact with added distance. After practicing for a week I played this weekend and broke 90 for the first time in 2 years while having much improved contact with my irons. I plan to work on it more this week and video again this weekend for a submission to evolvr again.

parallelish.jpg

• Administrator

Looks good. Probably feels like the club is way way way "outside" the hands at that point, huh?

• 5 years later...

As I mentioned in the "Are you better" thread I am not better and I'm finally being honest with myself on why and am committed to being better in 2023. I've already submitted these on Evolvr but want to post them here anyway. Obviously this thread is 8 years stagnant, but hopefully being here (this thread and site more generally) will keep me on track. I plan on posting my swing here often as I go through making changes, so I don't expect opinions and help each time.  I know I have a lot to work on.

I've been Playing Golf for: 14 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 15
My typical ball flight is: High, very high. Typically a pull hook or a weak fade.
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: I know generally a one way miss is a fallacy, but I'd like to develop the skill that when absolutely needed I can miss left (the less penal miss at my club).