IGNORED

Best Ball to Bump Spin Rates Up

Note: This thread is 2100 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am just coming off a driver fitting and trackman data showed me capping my spin at about 2200 RPM, on the low end of the normal spectrum.  I was curious if a ball selection could help drive that number up a small bit to squeeze another 7-10 yards off the tee.  Is that even possible?

I normally game the Top Flite Gamer Tour balls... which I really enjoy.  I sometimes pick up a dz of ProV's but its rare for me.  

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

20 minutes ago, DDBowdoin said:

I am just coming off a driver fitting and trackman data showed me capping my spin at about 2200 RPM, on the low end of the normal spectrum.  I was curious if a ball selection could help drive that number up a small bit to squeeze another 7-10 yards off the tee.  Is that even possible?

I normally game the Top Flite Gamer Tour balls... which I really enjoy.  I sometimes pick up a dz of ProV's but its rare for me.  

What is your swing speed and launch angle.

2200 RPM is not a bad spin rate.

Check out this website to mess around with the launch parameters, https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

It is nearly impossible to say what exact spin rate you would get from switching a golf ball. Your Top-Flight Gamer is a Urethane cover golf ball, so I doubt you will see much difference with premium golf balls. You will really have to just buy a variety of golf balls and test them out.

You could also get a driver with a few more degrees of loft. Also, a different golf shaft could increase spin rate a few hundred RPM.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Without seeing all of your launch data, it would just be throwing guesses at you.  But @saevel25 is right...2200 rpms is a very good number, unless your swing speed is under about 90 mph.  Then some additional spin would be ideal, but unless something else pretty weird is going on with your other numbers (like your launch angle is really low and your ball speed is too), I don't think increasing your spin slightly will help your overall distance.  

One thing people sometimes forget...everybody would like an extra 7-10 yds to help "take a little pressure off their long game" or for whatever reason, but there is a point where you will max out.  Whatever your clubhead speed is (let's say it's 100 mph for this discussion), if all of your launch conditions were perfect, mathematically the ball will go 260.4 yds.  Keep in mind this is a mathematic number.  It doesn't include atmospheric conditions like wind, humidity, altitude, or other things like turf conditions, so sure, if you're downwind, downhill, with hard fairways, a 100 mph swing speed can move it out past 260.  But you get my point...if you're driving a car at 60 mph for 1 hour, you can't travel 75 miles.  It's the same with a golf swing.  You can't hit the ball 290 yds with a 100 mph swing speed.  I'm not suggesting that's what you are trying to accomplish, just pointing out that there is a chance you are already maxed-out.

If you post your data from the driver fitting we can take a look and give you a better idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2100 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!