IGNORED

Advice for upcoming club fitting

rf53
Note: This thread is 2071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After thinking that I did not need a new dynamic fitting session for the purchase of my new irons, the members here, and others have convinced me I should probably undergo a new fitting... so I will. I had planned to rely on the results of my last fitting which was over a decade ago. I have realized that despite what I may have thought about the matter, many things have changed in that period of time. Additionally, I am moving in a new direction with my game. Although my scores are still those of an 8 handicap struggling to make the next jump and get down to consistently scoring in the mid to high 70's, Father Time has become a bit of a factor, and I don't think I will be purchasing "player's" irons this time out. I will be looking into some type of GI irons instead like the Ping G's or the Callaway XR's which are both at the top of my list right now.  All things considered, a new fitting is probably the best thing I can do for myself.

I am the type of person who likes to make informed decisions. This means I will want to know what the numbers coming out if the fitting mean so that I will have confidence in the process. The last time I underwent a fitting I was less engaged and I put my complete trust in the fitter because I had no clue what the information my swing was generating meant. For this go-around I have read quite a bit about the process and I am hoping to educate myself as much as I can so I will be a part of of the process, and not just the guy hitting the ball. Does that make sense?

Having said that, what is the most important thing I should key on during the fitting? I have heard that finding a club/shaft combination that provides good carry distance and achieves optimum spin rates is among the more important aspects of the iron fitting. Finding the closest spin rate to 1000 X the iron number is what I understand I should be looking for. Is there anything else that I should concentrate on? Thanks for your advice!

I think the most important thing during a fitting is to swing naturally.  It's common to change any behavior, including swinging a golf club, when being observed.  It's a well-docuented psychological phenomenon, so be aware of it.  Secondly, I wouldn't get too hung up on the numbers....just find a head/shaft combo that gives you the best results.  Don't get overly concerned with spin rates, etc.  I'm an 8 hcp and got fit last year.  Made a big differnce.  The only number we really discussed much was "smash factor" Trust the fitter.

Note: This thread is 2071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!