IGNORED

South Africa, Portugal?

Kevin04
Note: This thread is 5506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello Folks,

was wondering if anyone had any experience of golfing in either S.A or Portugal? My 2 golfing friends and I are looking at taking a golf holiday later in the year and thinking possibly about one of these countries.

South Africa looks really appealing, Stellenbosch, Cape Town area looks fantastic and also some beautiful sites outside the golf course to experience, how dangerous is the place which is the only main concern.

Portugal would be ace too as it's only 2-3Hrs plane ride from Scotland, decent value for money and some nice coastal courses.

anyone got advice or been to any of these places?

thanks

I was born in Capetown and went back to visit ten years ago. Capetown is absolutely beautiful. Capetown is very similar to San Diego, maybe a bit cooler. It is an ocean side city with a back drop of mountains. There are multiple vineyards nearby. You can also head north for safari and Kruger Park. DO NOT leave your vehicle. There is great fishing in South Africa both offshore and inshore. I've played golf in South Africa (near Sun City) and around Capetown, absolutely beautiful. You might see some wildlife strolling the fairways. Parts of South Africa and surrounding countries remain unsettled by high crime and violence.

Portugal-where I'm planning my golf trip for next year. see my post. I am currently researching and have bought Fommer's guide to Portugal (and read it cover to cover) The more I learn about Portugal, the more excited I am about going. If you go, please post an update on this thread.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
i know it isn't SA or Portugal, but if you haven't played the "costa del sol" in spain then i feel it only fair to let you know what an amazing place to play golf! the courses are top class and the landscape is truly inspiring! there are loads of courses with every type of views {mountains, valleys and the sea} i fell in love with a course in Mijas Costa called SANTANA. very beautiful and very challenging! i will definitely be playing that one again. well good luck with your search and have a great time wherever you go!

I've never played golf in Spain, but been there--best coffee, food, and sangria. I've been very fortunate to see much of the world. My top four countries in no particular order (considering the hospitality, culture, climate, and topography). United States of America, Spain, Costa Rica, Australia.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

i have to agree with putterman as my husband and i golfed in southern spain last fall and it was amazing! very challenging courses and with the views and the perfect weather we decided to make this our regular golf vacation! and so many to choose from. putterman, we didn't get a chance to try Santana, but it will be the first on the list this year! good luck with your search

I am from SA and take a group of people over each year for safari, golf and wine!
In the Cape Province I would highly recommend Pearl Valley, DeZalze, Pinnacle Point, Clovelly, Erinvale, Humewood, Mowbray, Arabella and Stellenbosch.
For post round 'entertainment' visit the following wineries:
Ernie Els and Guardian Peak (best food and view from any winery ever!), Fairview (nice light lunch place), Boekenhoutskloof (great reds), Hamilton Russell and Cape point Vineyards (great whites).
In SA golf and caddies and wine are inexpensive and it really is a fantastic golf destination!
Andrew Rice
www.andrewricegolf.com
www.itsallaboutimpact.com

I live in Cape Town, and it would really be a shame to miss out because you've heard exaggerated stories about crime. Just use your common sense - don't walk around alone at at night, don't go to remote areas unless you're in a small group, etc. It is a beautiful city and I have always felt very safe here.

In terms of golf, make sure you get to De Zalze and Pearl Valley, both just a few minutes drive from Stellenbosch. Royal Cape (the oldest course in South Africa) is also great. Arabella (about an hour's drive from Cape Town) is one of the country's top courses and has an amazing 5-star hotel if you are looking for a bit of luxury. Further afield (four to five hours from Cape Town), is Fancourt and Pinnacle Point - two more of the country's top courses.

And you must go wine tasting if you are in Stellenbosch, and as someone else said, visit Ernie Els' winery.

Good luck and enjoy.

Note: This thread is 5506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!