IGNORED

Big speed bump

bhingston
Note: This thread is 5340 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I started playing golf this summer, and all had been going well. I started off the summer shooting 105-110, and last round out broke 100 for the first time. I know I need to keep improving in all areas, and 3 range sessions ago everything clicked. I got rid of my slice with my driver, and I was becoming very accurate and consistent with my woods, hybrid, irons and wedges. The last 2 range sessions though I have hit a major speed bump. I am shanking close to every single ball I am hitting. It's the same shank everytime as well. It goes dead right (I'm right handed) with no height or distance. It almost feels as though I am hitting it off the hosel. I feel that my swing is the same, and when I've stopped my swing at the bottom it appears that everything is in line. Any help in solving this would be appreciated.

In my Ozone:

Driver: S9-1 10.5*
Woods: 2007 Burner 3 Wood 15*
Hybrids 2009 3 Rescue 19*Irons: MX-200 4-PWWedges: 52, CG12 56Putter: White Hot XG 2-Ball Blade 35"

Well a shank would in fact be a ball hit off the hosel. My guess would be you're getting more extension with the club at impact due to whatever swing changes you made and you'll have to stand a little further from the ball at address to adjust. I should note, however, that I'm not a pro, and its even harder to diagnose without seeing.

Playing regularly again after a few years off. Started playing in 1999.
Whats in the bag?
Driver: R7 425 9.5*, Reax 65 shaft
3 Wood: V Steel 13* tour-spoon, M.A.S.^2 shaft
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19*, Dynamic Gold shaft Irons: DCI 762 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold shaftsWedges: Watson VI, 52.08, 56.14,...

Do a toe-up drill. That is, take a back swing to just when the club is parallel, about at your hip level, and make sure the toe of the club is facing up. Then make the swing so that the toe is facing up again, about at hip level in front of you. A little chip with your PW essentially. Just a hip-to-hip swing with the toe being up at this moments. Make sure it is a smooth transition through the ball into the forward toe up position.

This will help you get a feel for the release and where the club should be at these parts of the swing. After you've done this a bunch and really feel it, take some larger and larger swings.

This happens to me on occasion. Your range days are very important when you think you lost the feeling of your swing. Slow down and focus on fundamentals: Grip, balance, back swing and follow through. You will quickly remember what you were feeling before.

Hope I helped

G10 (VS Proto 65 X) or 905S (speeder X) / X Tour 3W (VS Proto S) / Adams Idea Tour Proto 18* (VS Proto S) / S59 Tour, Z-Z65 Cushin (D2) / Mizuno MP-T 51-06 , 56-10, / Miz TP Mills #6 ~or~ Cleveland BRZ #5

Thanks a lot for these tips guys. I'm hoping it's something as simple as standing too close to the ball. I'll be back to work again tomorrow trying to get better.

In my Ozone:

Hybrids 2009 3 Rescue 19*Irons: MX-200 4-PWWedges: 52, CG12 56Putter: White Hot XG 2-Ball Blade 35"

When I was starting out learning my swing, one day I shanked over 100 balls at the range. Here's my advice to look into your problem:

To save some time you should get your swing on video, both from down the line (facing the target) or in front, to help determine what parts of your swing contribute to the shank. You might be lunging down at the ball during your downswing, which would cause your swing plane to shift forward, which would cause your hosel or heel of the iron to hit the ball instead of the center of the clubface.

You could also be dropping down with your right shoulder instead of rotating the shoulder through.

Check to see how much shoulder rotation you are getting to the top of your backswing. If you don't get over 80 degrees then you may have flexibility issues. The lack of a good shoulder turn may cause you to throw yourself down at the ball to compensate. If your swingplane is somewhat flat then you might be swinging too far outwards, which also connects the hosel to the ball.

Shifting your hips too far left in the downswing may also cause your spine and shoulder to drop down , also shifting your swingplane ahead of you.

2011 Goals:
* Improve club-head speed to 90 mph with the driver
* Ensure increased speed does not compromise accuracy
* Prevent overextending on the back-swing (left-arm is bending too much at the top)
* Relax arms initially at address ( too tense)* Play more full rounds (failed from 2010)

I'm back from the range and luckily it was a simple fix. Like was mentioned, I was standing simply too close to the ball and was hitting the ball with the hosel. Thank you for the time and effort! This forum is a great place to learn.

In my Ozone:

i have an instant shank fix, when you swing through try and rotate your center over top of your left heel not your left toes, i guarentee you have too much weight on your toes and that is causing you to lean in alittle at impact. for years everytime i started hitting the ball well it was then followed by a case of the shanks. I finally figured out that when i got comfotable with my swing i would get my weight out on my toes(dont know why but it happens). give this a shot and i bet you will stop shanking.

-matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

Note: This thread is 5340 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!