IGNORED

DEBACLE! Shot 111 on week Index fell to 8.3

PhilsRHman
Note: This thread is 5318 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm still smarting from this one. Smoked a drive on 1, put a 6-iron just off the green, chipped to 2 feet, then missed the putt.

Second hole - 210 yard par 3, dead into a howling 30 MPH wind. Wind didn't matter, topped it into the shit 50 yards up. Took a whack at it, no one ever saw it come out. By the end of the hole I made an 8.

By the end of the day, the scorecard was so ugly, I couldn't even be mad, I was just laughing. 111. What a day. How can a person go from 77, 80, 81, 81 in a two-week stretch to a 111?????

First theory - it was a course, and all those others were on a tougher, but more familiar track. If I hit it 60 yards left at home, I know exactly where it will be. Here, I lost at least 4 balls just off the fairway thanks to fescue and brush on every hole (one hole I hit a sand wedge from 70 yards, just missed the green and never found it in the heavy rough). Add in a lot of blind shots and it was a debacle.

Second theory - My prior round I didn't hit the ball well and decided at the range I need to have better posture and hold my hands higher at address. Spending a week thinking about that stuff without the chance to get to the range just really messed with my head.

Third theory - Out of my comfort zone. Simply getting out of my routine completely screwed me up. There was no driving range and I got on the first tee right after a 3 hour car ride. The wind seemed to mess with me, too, as I tried way too many knock down shots. Didn't help that the greens were just aerated and I didn't make a single putt over 2 feet (and missed at least two from 2 feet or less). I can't blame the 111 on a couple putts, but I do think it got into my head, especially given the fact I made 6 straight bogeys and still managed 111.

Fourth theory - Just a brutal day and everyone has them. The next morning on another new course I shot 41 on the front before ballooning on the back, but I chalk that up to some bad news I got on the course and losing all concentration.

Anyone have any advice for how to deal with a day like this? I'm glad I got back out the next day so I didn't stew for a week or two thinking I forgot how to play the game.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour | 3W: Callaway X Hot Pro | Irons: Mizuno JPX-800 Pro X100 SS | Wedges: Vokey SM 54-08, Vokey Raw 60-12 | Putter (of the week): Arnold Palmer "The Original" 33"

Man thats tough. I'm not an 8.3 , but I did shoot a 115 last week. Worst round in years!!

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

The great thing is that this round basically has no bearing on your index except that it takes up a spot on your list of your last 20 rounds. The solution to that is to go play golf 20 more times.

So I embrace the crappy round here and there. The only time it stinks is when it makes a really good round fall off the list; which it sounds like it did to you.

Ben Hogan is my swing coach.

Driver: Burner TP
3 & 5 Woods: No-name
3H:No-name4i-PW: MP-32...unapologetically...You should try blades, too56*: CG12Putter: Spider

Hey-at least it took a 111 to bring you up to an 8.3. I had to shoot the best round of my life (72) to get down to the same index. And as someone said, that score won't count soon anyway.

holy crap. i am nowhere near an 8.3 and I would be pissed if I shot a 111. That's a hell of a difference there between 80 and 111. I guess it's good that you're just laughing it off because that is most definitely not what I would be doing. haha

It's probably because you were messing with mechanics. I know the little things like no driving range, new course, out of comfort zone etc. irk me a little but never by 31 strokes.

its all about focus and not sweating the small things, one bad hole can ruin your entire day

4dx hybrid Graphite Irons
3-4 Hybrid
Pipe Putter
Titleist Pro V1...I lose enough of em
Revolver Pro 440sz

Hey, that's great, you got all the bad shots out of your system at once.

Just kidding. I know how you feel. I shot 78 last week and then inexplicably shot a 93 (with 9 penalty shots) today. Granted, it was on a difficult course, but I just lost control of my driver and started trying to steer everything, which made it all go to sh*t even faster. My advice: shake it off, hit delete on that bit of short-term memory, and go back to the 70s where you belong.

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

Oh my god...delete the round from your mind.

I index a 12.5 and shot a 101 on Tuesday...and I was suicidal. Had been playing great till then, I just wrote it off to a bad day. I spent 4 hours at the range over the last two days. Hope for better today....

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Its golf, sh!t happens, we all have a blow-up round once in a while. You know you are a good player, so you shouldn't let one day cause you to look too deep for reasons or go chasing changes in the swing that got you to an 8 index to start with. Move on and enjoy..

:tmade: 09 Burner
:cobra: Speed LD F 3 wood
:cobra: Baffler 20 degree hybrid
:cobra: Baffler TWS 23 hy
:ping: G15 5-UW
:snake_eyes: 56 deg SW 
:snake_eyes: 60 - 12 wedge  
:scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2

At least you got your moneys worth. Your cost per stroke index probably made the round reasonably priced. All the golfers who play well are cheating themselves. At 50 dollars for a round of golf, playing even par costs about .69 cents a stroke. When I drop a score of 110, I pay .45 cents a stroke.

I'd just chalk it up to being a bad day. Won't be the last I promise you. About a month back I was playing my regular 9 hole morning round. I'd been shooting around 45 on an easy course. Shot a 51 that day. I just kept getting into trouble and did not putt well. I hadn't played that poorly in a while.

I followed that round up with a 41, 40, and 39!!! So treat it as an anomaly.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

That is an horrid round. My worst this year is a 95 and if I get around 90 I am really sucking.

I am sure some lost balls didn't help.

That round will never come into play in your index. It is the best 10 out of 20.

Brian

That round will never come into play in your index. It is the best 10 out of 20.

It does in an indirect way. Let's say one of his top handicap scores was the 20th oldest. When he adds his blow up round, it'll replace his high score and one his top 10 scores will now have to use a higher score that it previously didn't. That being said the impact should be minimal as long the blow score was indeed an anomaly.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

It does in an indirect way. Let's say one of his top handicap scores was the 20th oldest. When he adds his blow up round, it'll replace his high score and one his top 10 scores will now have to use a higher score that it previously didn't. That being said the impact should be minimal as long the blow score was indeed an anomaly.

I agree but you could have that kind of round and still have your index go lower.

Brian

don't push yourself.. let it come naturaly

4dx hybrid Graphite Irons
3-4 Hybrid
Pipe Putter
Titleist Pro V1...I lose enough of em
Revolver Pro 440sz

I'm glad i'm not the only one who has this happen to them. You did the right thing by playing another round as soon as possible. As long as those 111's are very rare I wouldn't try to figure out why it happened...just forget about it.

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

Damn I am off 17 and wanna top my self when I shoot over 90 LOL

My worst round this year is a 96 and that was the first time I played my new home course (Celtic Manor Roman Road) since then I have shot 86-89 so playing to my handicap.

What this post and other posts on here are showing me is that everyone has bad days no matter what handicap you are so I am just gonna accept scores over 90 more..... as long as there a round in the 80's in between LMAO

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

Note: This thread is 5318 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!